Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

buy new trailer or rebuild old?

mountaineerhill

My '01 trailer has seen better days. I'm sure the white trailed looked great at one point with my white and black boat but 14 years, many of those sitting, have taken its toll. I have already replaced 2 axle bearings and a new winch this season.. This winter I am going to have to do something major. So the question is do I put the boat in dry storage and get the whole trailer painted and redone with LED's or just buy a new trailer. I'm afraid I have to much rust to be worth saving.

From what I can tell a new trailer is around $5-6k? I can't find a slightly used trailer anywhere. If anyone knows of a white or black trailer around lemme know.

I say redo it if it is structurally still good. Do you have any pics of the trailer?

I will have to get some when I get home, the steps are all rusted and there is zero grip tape left. The front most support has some rust at the bottom from water pooling up. The white paint has seen better days as well.

I love the white but at the same time I drive a high HP diesel truck and the large single turbo means I roll some serious coal. I feel like black would just stay cleaner.

Edited by mountaineerhill

I will have to get some when I get home, the steps are all rusted and there is zero grip tape left. The front most support has some rust at the bottom from water pooling up. The white paint has seen better days as well.

I love the white but at the same time I drive a high HP diesel truck and the large single turbo means I roll some serious coal. I feel like black would just stay cleaner.

It doesn't matter what color it is if you don't wash it and take care of it.

It doesn't matter what color it is if you don't wash it and take care of it.

I bought the boat and trailer 3 months ago, didn't really have a say in the matter...

repacking bearings and lights are easy its the trouble of getting it painted/rust repair. If I invest in a trailer now, black will go with almost any color when I decide to trade up as well.

I re-painted the fenders and steps on mine yellow to make the trailer two tone. It wasn't a hard job and cost less than $100. If you have a decent air compressor it is something you can do at your house. I would be willing to let you have the old diamond plate that was on the fenders and steps if you wanted to try to cover up some of the rust.

• 3 weeks later...

If you have the clearence lights up the front of the side draw bars, pop them out & check the inside of the box section for rust flakes.

My 2011 trailer had the wall thickness reduced to less than half the original wall thickness through rust.

Tell tale sign was the rust chunks dropping out from the rear cut outs of the side box tube to gain access for wiring.

• Like 1