Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Looking for inexpensive (but nice) 12" sub - My continued quest for an low budget sound system

mtnbkr738

Hi All,

So Im continuing my quest to install a low cost but decent sound system in my 98 Sunsetter.

I'm still in need of a 12" sub-- I want to fit it under the helm.

Any suggestion on a decent 10 or 12" sub?

I'm open to used stuff if anyone is willing to sell.

Any suggestions on what to buy?

I currently have:

Clarion EQ (No HU) w bluetooth

amps

Krypt tower speakers

original cabin speakers (ugh...I need to replace these)

Any help or suggestions is appreciated....remember the magic word in this project is "inexpensive"

THX!!

Lets start with the amplifier you have for the woofer. There are lots of solid options with rubber surrounds and composite cones (as opposed to a hybrid with paper) that are at a very good price point.

If you're near Wisconsin I have an extra Alpine Type - R, its yours if you want it... but I really dont want to ship the beast so local pickup only.

Ok i have 2 options for the sub amp

remember the 2 magic word is "inexpensive" and also "simple"...lol

I have this in the boat now: PYLE 6800-watt 5 channel CLASS D--(I know, I know, this isn't high end...but it totally works, and is installed and seems fine... see it HERE

I also have this M-1500 that i could install...see it HERE

If the Pyle would work..that would make life easy for me...

BTW sidekicknicholas - yes im in waukesha, wi.

thx everyone for offers on used equip---

---so whats best way to proceed??

thx

With Pyle and Boss and many other brands of amplifiers the true power will be just a fraction of the rated power. Do they get away with false claims? Everyday. It just is what it is. Even in consideration of this, there is value in the Pyle 5-channel amplifier.

So looking at the specific fuse values and standard Class D efficiency I would estimate that you need a subwoofer with a solid 500 to 600 watt thermal power rating.

If you buy into the Pyle specs and buy a subwoofer with a true 900 watt rating or even higher and typically with a 3-inch voice coil, the amplifier power is likely to fall flat. So a match is important.

Right now JL Audio is running a 15% Off sale on their domestically built subwoofers. The JL Audio 12W3 @ $238 is a bargain.

The Alpine type R mentioned above is another good subwoofer that would fit this application. It would be nice if it's a 12" and a 2-ohm version. The 1000 watt rating on the type R is a bit much but this sub will well work with an amplifier in your range.

The Alpine type R mentioned above is another good subwoofer that would fit this application. It would be nice if it's a 12" and a 2-ohm version.

I have a Alpine Type-R -DVC @ 2 ohms

BTW sidekicknicholas - yes im in waukesha, wi.

I'm about 150 miles from you .... Lake Sherwood in the zip 54457. PM me if you're interested, its obviously used, but works an all. I can try and snag some photos this evening.

Beyond exaggerated claims, I wouldn't say the Pyle amp is that bad as long as you know what you're getting in terms of true RMS. It may not be as reliable as more reputable brands, though. I found a brand new 90's model Boss amp left over in car audio shop. I immediately snatched it to power the tweeters in my truck, it's a 2 way active SQ setup. The Boss amp was handmade in the USA by the legendary Steve Mantz/ Zed Audio. Very high quality amp. It even has a regulated power supply, which is a big selling point on the JL HD series amps. Moral of the story, if you're on a budget, the majority of 90's era car audio amps are high quality.

Regarding the sub, the Alpine Type R is a kick a** sub, the only downfall is to get the most out of it you'll want it in a ported box...for the Type R that's around 2.25-2.5^ft, which may not fit. My personal favorite is Sundown. I'd check out the Sundown yard sale on their b-stock. You can get a E-12 for $60 shipped, or a SD-2 12 for $90 shipped.