Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Best Practices for 100 plus Weather (To cover or not to cover?)

Cory

Next week we are going to Banks Lake for a week vacation. The current forecast is for temperatures ranging between 100 and 108 degrees. The forecast literally states, "blazing hot sun." I’m hoping the high side forecast is higher than reality. Good thing the villa we are renting has AC. I have an uncovered slip and will be leaving the boat in the water for 5 straight days. I’ll be leaving the bimini up all week for sure.

My question… When not using the boat should I be putting the cover on to keep the hot sun off the vinyl, or should I keep the boat uncovered? My cover is medium-dark gray (not black). See picture below. I’m leaning towards not covering it all week.

I've already learned from past trips to eastern WA to not let wet life jackets dry in the sun on the vinyl--leaves a mark that slowly fades away after 30 mins. Any other things to be mindful of in this kind of heat?

post-4451-0-81912500-1434919746_thumb.jp

Edited by Cory

I just got back from Shasta with similar weather... didn't use the cover once and the vinyl is still perfect.

Personally, I worry more about covering the vinyl in that kind of heat. Like you I was careful not to leave anything on the seats that might trap heat (e.g. life jackets, empty ballast sacs, etc.). And whatever you leave on top of that bimini is going to get HOT!

I don't cover it if it's going to be that hot, dry & not too windy.

And if the vests are not brand new, I don't worry about them staining anything.

Have fun at Banks! Love it there!

Thanks guys. I'll leave her open. I'm hoping the forecast ends up wrong. Hottest I've experienced was 104. The lake is only going to be low 70's, so I'm not sure what jumping from 100's into low 70's will feel like.

Yeah, don't leave things on your seats while the boat sits uncovered. Just had a semi scary experience this weekend with the walkway insert. I pulled it off as I was taking the cover off and left it on the bow seats. Took the cover off rolled it up, brought it to the deck box, got distracted. 2 hours later, the boat is still sitting in the sun and the plastic insert is magnifying the heat on my vinyl. I carefully peeled it off the vinyl, it was pretty stuck on there.

We always cover ours at night, but during the day I'll toss a couple towels over the seats and the dash.

Thanks guys. I'll leave her open. I'm hoping the forecast ends up wrong. Hottest I've experienced was 104. The lake is only going to be low 70's, so I'm not sure what jumping from 100's into low 70's will feel like.

It will feel great! 70's will feel cool when it's over 100* air temp.

Banks is cooler by the dam & SunBanks Resort. Go out to Steamboat rock & the water temps can be 5 or 10 degrees warmer.

Banks is cooler by the dam & SunBanks Resort. Go out to Steamboat rock & the water temps can be 5 or 10 degrees warmer.

Ya, I'm aware of that. I already factored that into my temp quote above. I called Coulée Play Land. Their water thermometer says 65 degrees. I figure the coves down by Steamboat will be about 70. We don't leave until Sat morning, so still 5 days to warm up the lake, but the really hot temps 107 degrees start the day we show up. Right now it's in the mid 80's.

when I'm tied up to the houseboat, I usually throw a few towels on seats in places where we step in and out so it doesn't get so hot. Also, I throw a towel over the dash to cover the display. Just my 2 cents.

I'm a little bummed cause a couple years ago we went in mid July and the water temps were 78-80 down by Steamboat. It was an awesome trip.

So go again in July! I'm planning a few mid week short trips to banks lake in July and august.

On a recent interstate trip of 14 hours in 100+ degree heat, towed with the cover on.

Arrived at our destination & removed the cover to access some her from the boat.

Where the cover made contact with the seats, the seats had turned almost purple.

Cream seats.

Left the cover on and the sun burned/bleached the stain out again.

My thoughts

Cover at night

Leave off during the day, will help dry. It out

Leave towels over the dash for some protection of the electronics, MTC etc.

Maybe leave some towels on the seat bases so they are not too hot upon your return

So go again in July! I'm planning a few mid week short trips to banks lake in July and august.

Just reserved another short get away for early Aug. Now I need to convince my sister & brother-in-law (or other close friends) to join us. My dream trip to Banks is 78-80 degree water, mid-90's weather, and all sun! I'm in the hunt for the perfect Banks Lake vaca!

• 1 month later...

This may be left field, but you want to block the sun, but leave room for ventilation. It is just for half days, not months... Have you thought about a loose tarp and some bungee cables? If you run it over the tower, it can flap in the wind and vent the compartment.

NO don't cover, no reason, the cover will simply get so dam hot u don't want to touch it! I have owned a house on the colorado river in Needles Ca for the past 10 years and never had a problem with sun fade even when there for 10 days at a time. It was 115 today and the river was probably 62-65, my wife says cold I say refreshing! I have been there and seen 125 (but its a dry heat...LOL) Seriously don't put your cover on, it will only turn it into a oven, trust me I know! As for the bimini, I have never taken my down.

Cory,

What do you think of Sunbanks resort. We are headed there in a few days and have a Villa reserved. Yelp had some unkind things to say.

Great lake with hidden rock coves and sandy beaches. Visit Banks Lake for the lake, not the resort. Amazing lake if you find those hidden gem locations. Keep an eye on the weather and don't mess with thunderstorm warnings.

Cory,

What do you think of Sunbanks resort. We are headed there in a few days and have a Villa reserved. Yelp had some unkind things to say.

You will have an awesome time. Yelp is so stupid dude... Your villa might have some sand in it and thats where they get the "oh it was sooo dirty reviews." Basically when I rented a villa, it was more trashed the next day from me so couldn't complain there. Some of the camping isn't too level which is annoying, but you also get to set up on really nice grass which I like better than sand pads. There is a store, espresso place, bar, putt putt, rentals, marina, stage(live music and karokee most weekends) and a small town about 1 minute away.(with safeway) The staff has always been very helpful and extremely friendly. If you haven't been to banks before, none of that will even matter. The lake is incredible.

Use google maps to find the hidden coves near the north tip of steamboat Rock. We are here right now until Wed. There are clips in the rocks allover the place for tying a boat between rocks. Along steamboat rock there are lots of pure sandy beaches. There is a sand bar as you enter Devils Punch Bowl, keep an eye on your depth Finder. Lots of cool features to this lake. The further south you go, the warmer the water.

I've camped at steamboat state park before and the mosquitoes were so horrible, I swore I'd never go back. I've done the villas at some banks resort and camped at coulee playland with better results.

When it's that hot.... And the boat is just sitting there in the water....for example the boat was in overnight and we won't get back on the water till after lunch... I'll open all the hatches and compartments.

Limits scorching temps and UV beat down on the flat vinyl surfaces. As they are straight up.

Allows air and circulation of the damp bilge areas, compartments and under your piggys that are always damp and dank under there.

Obviously requires a safe place as folks walking by will gawk and survey everything you have in your compartments- boards, stereo etc.

Also requires a clean place, can't have trees dropping crap all through your boat.

I do this roughly every other weekend.

Edited by nyryan2001