Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

IAC and TPS help

malibu bret

Ok, crew I need some help.

I have a 2003 RLXI with the Monsoon 335 and am having some idle issues. The boat runs fine while driving, pulling but when at idle the RPM's will jump up and down. After doing some research on some past threads I think I need to replace my Idle Air Controller and my Throttle Position Sensor. I was planning on just buying both at the local Napa, does anyone know which part numbers these are?

For mine I told them "1999 Chevy Suburban, 350 Chevy small block" per someone here on the site. Looked the same and worked fine.

I think that is how I ended up with the above numbers

Your problem is called idle flair and it is ECM software related. Talk to your dealer about it or have him call Indmar if he don't know what your talking about. Reflashing your ECM with the updated (circa 2005) software programming will fix that.

edit; Throwing parts at that problem won't fix it. It was a inherent problem with 2003 Monsoons.

Edited by electricjohn

Great thanks for the help fellas.

John- (edit) After reading some posts on older threads about "Idle Flare" I think I do have that issue also. But this new problem is much more significant than what I understand "Idle Flare" to be.

When coming off the throttle and into the neutral position, the idle will jump from ~800rpms to 1200-1600rpms and go back and forth (high rpms to low rpms then back to high) and will repeat non-stop until I either turn the motor off or plane out again.

-BW

Edited by malibu bret

Your problem is called idle flair and it is ECM software related. Talk to your dealer about it or have him call Indmar if he don't know what your talking about. Reflashing your ECM with the updated (circa 2005) software programming will fix that.

edit; Throwing parts at that problem won't fix it. It was a inherent problem with 2003 Monsoons.

Is it applicable to to earlier models also?

Great thanks for the help fellas.

John- (edit) After reading some posts on older threads about "Idle Flare" I think I do have that issue also. But this new problem is much more significant than what I understand "Idle Flare" to be.

When coming off the throttle and into the neutral position, the idle will jump from ~800rpms to 1200-1600rpms and go back and forth (high rpms to low rpms then back to high) and will repeat non-stop until I either turn the motor off or plane out again.

-BW

Keep it in gear longer.