Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wakesetter VTX vs X14V vs NXT vs Sport Natique crossover

robwski

New to the crew, first post.

I know this has been beat to death , but maybe the crew coud update it.
Looking for a new / recent year boat NOW.

I have always rec slalom skied behind a 98 PROSTAR i split with sister, and a friends 2008 Response LXI
I did this mostly 15-22 , sometimes 28 off at 34-35 MPH
willing to try more 28 off.

I am 47 years old.
I have 2 teenage boys who like to wakeboard and want to try surfing.
The younger son was getting very good just on the PROSTAR.
Want enough room in the boat comfortably with 4-8 people, hence looking at Vdrives.

Just moved on a large busy lake with chop often, but there are good condions early morning / late evening.

iMPORTANCE WOULD BE in order
REC SLALOM SKIING, as small as wake as possible
Wakeboarding
Surfing , with minimal hassle

considering

Malibu Wakesetter VTX Diamond Hull
2015 / has larger PW, Zero Off now standard,better G3.2 tower
2014 very similar

2013 Mastercraft X14V , on Prostar Hull ? no surfsystem / GEN2

2014/2015 MC NXT 20/22 , have no ideal , seems a bit budget made

2014/2015 Sport Nautique 200 ,no NSS

missing any ?
could also do 2014 TXI with a tower
but wife really wants a V-DRIVE

thanks for the help

also might ask

if a 2015 TXI is rated a 10 for slamon sking

what would you rate a 2015 VTX for slamon sking ?

and rate the others or any you might suggest of the recent / current crossovers

Edited by robwski

IMO....VTX hand's down out of the selection you posted based on your needs. Sport Nautique would be a close second but I think I'd prefer surf gate. Others will chime in for sure who have more experience than I with the boats you listed.

• Like 1

Out of that list the VTX and the SN Sport 200 will be the only ones that can come close to the slalom wake you are used to. Add in the surfing requirement and I would almost eliminate the SN. It's capable but the VTX can generate a bigger wake given the Wedge and Surfgate with the factory 4-tank ballast.

Just to add a bit more the MC 214V which I think is the same as the X14 "can" slalom ski ok. The issue is at the long length you listed it's got a big wake. Sub 28 off its workable but your form has to be really good. It would make your kids happy for wake boarding and surfing but it's a rough ride for slalom skiers even at 36 MPH.

I've never been behind a NXT so no comment.

The VTX is a no brainer for your needs. The SN 200 is tiny and won't make a very good surf wave. I have not slalomed behind the NXT but I've heard it is not very good and the boat is ugly imo. I have a 2014 VTX and we can do whatever we want at a fairly high level. I'm not seeing much difference in my slalom wake and my buddies older MC pro star which I have skied a lot of runs behind. Join the Bu Crew.

Have a buddy that HAS (not had) both a 2014 SN 200 and a 2013 vtx - prefers the nautique for everything but surfing. for what it's worth.

Have a buddy that HAS (not had) both a 2014 SN 200 and a 2013 vtx - prefers the nautique for everything but surfing. for what it's worth.

Wow, he is cool.

imho - skiing and wakesurfing are incompatible. A good skiing boat is a bad wakesurf boat. This is like gymnastics vs. sumo.

I would choose something with a surf system, like the Malibu VTX. The surfgate helps a lot to clean the wake and with 8 People in a 20 footer, you also have some weight.

• Like 1

We have a VTX and a 200 in our crew and the result is Unanimous. The VTX wins. This may appear parochial on this site but in terms of on water performance the VTX has the edge. The 200 purportedly has the best ski wake, not true nasty bump @ 15-22 off. Wakeboard and surf are much of a muchness. Throw in barefoot and you need 550 hp in the SN to compete. In terms of interior space, VTX all the way, just ask the girls. Fit finish and materials SN has the edge but who cares when it can't do the business