Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Fuel Gauge readings

We found a nice 1999 Response LX to purchase. Have had the boat out 2 times footing non stop for ~ 2-3 hours each and it ran great. Purchased the boat with a full tank of gas per the gauge. Today we ran it down to less than 1/4 tank per the gauge. We stopped at pump on way home to fill it up and it and it would only take 12-13 gallons before guergeling and kicking off pump. I added another 1/2 gallon and it flowed out of overflow valve. Gauge now shows 7/8 full. I thought the boat had a 30 gallon tank??? So could the gauge/sending unit be off? So today when we were at less than 1/4 tank we were actually 1/2 full? I'm confused and want to make sure we do not run out of gas. Your input is appreciated! Thx

Should be a 35 gallon tank. The gas gauge will not be accurate, it just a guess. You can put in a different sender unit in the tank and that helps some, but overall I didn't find that worth the trouble.

Thanks Chief! Good news is this thing gets amazing MPG compared to my 88 Barefoot Nautique! Bad news means at empty I still have a 1/2 tank gas,

There are some great fuel flow gauges out there for engines/tanks that low pressure pumps or use a draw pump from the tank. If you add a fuel flow gauge you have to remember to reset it when you fill up, but the readings will be spot on compared to the in-tank sending unit.

You will get the hang of working on hours as a secondary guide.

Sounds like between 6 & 7 hours should leave you about 30 min to an hour left in the tank

If you replace the stock sending unit with a Universal Teleflex, and properly calibrate and install it per the directions, you will have an accurate gauge. The stock unit, while high quality and nice, is too short for your tank, hence the empty reading when you are half full.

I did this on my 2002 Sunsetter. It's an easy and cheap fix, but time consuming to get it just right. Follow the directions for measuring your tank depth, and you have to cut a couple pieces of the sending unit...again, per the instructions. By the time I was done, my gauge was near as accurate as the one in my car. But I took my time, and pulled the gas out into 5 gallon containers and replaced it 5 gallons at a time while I was adjusting the sender. Did this several times. Had it to where gauge showed empty with 5 gallons in tank (my reserve) and each 1/4 tank on the gauge was 7.5 gallons. I knew within a gallon or two what the tank was going to hold at the station by looking at the gauge.

The first day I had my boat out after I bought it, I filled it up and hit the lake. After about three hours, it was showing empty, and I figured I had burned 35 gallons. I had a sick feeling thinking about what gas was going to cost me for that boat burning 10 gallons an hour. I filled it up at the station and it only held about 12 gallons.

When you pull the old sender out, you will see what I am talking about with the sender being short, and therefore not being able to measure fuel in bottom half of tank.

This is what I used:

http://www.defender.com/product3.jsp?path=-1|311|2349096|2349097&id=94631

Edited by RTS
  • Like 2

If you have a Wema brand sender some of the 10 (or more) magnetic reed switches in the shaft could have failed. If the shaft is to short for you tank, buy a new sender that is the proper length. Any length shaft works with our gauge. Search "Wema ? inch sender" on E-bay to see whats available for about $25.

Edited by electricjohn

Thanks to everyone for the input! So we pulled the cover off tank and removed the sending unit this morning. Yes it is a very short sending unit.....Looks like a 3 inch unit. I measured the tank depth which is 5 3/4 inch from inside bottom to outside top. Per John's advice I ordered a 5 inch Wema on ebay for $40.00. WIll install next week. FYI the gas tank spec tag did state it is a 35 gallon tank. I will follow up and let everyone know the results. Hope it works.....cannot imagine going for years guessing how much fuel we have. Thanks.......Tom

• 2 years later...

Hasn't been on in two years. Hope he didn't run out of gas and get stranded in the middle of no where.

Edited by electricjohn