Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Make sub cutout smaller?

sOlar17

Hey crew,

So I got a custom box built from a cardboard template I gave a local shop, long story short it's been a bit of a nightmare. I'm just finished up my install & while mounting the subs, I can't get them to seal because the cutout for the sub is too large. How would you go about make it smaller? Make a small ring & glue it inside? Fiberglassing mat a few layers? The box is resin coated & texture painted mdf.

Yep, that's about the only way without getting inside the box. New baffle over the top.

Seen people make the existing cutout larger for flush mounting and add a mounting ring from the inside, but it requires cutting that ring in half to get it inside the box if you have to go through the sub hole. It's not something I would do.

Any kind of gasket acting as a structural filler is not going to stand up for long to the internal pressure. A gasket is a great added element once you close the opening to the correct size.

Be aware of the mounting holes in the woofer rim that are often slotted rather than round. It requires a pretty close fit not to leak through the mounting holes/slots.

A 0.75" internal HDPE reduction ring would work well because you would only have to cut one end in that it is just flexible enough to maintain as a single piece and worm into place through the opening.

It's an odd shape & to be honest I think I'm going to get a new sub/box next year, I haven't renewed my TMC membership but it's shaped like a V with the opening towards the driver, using 2 JL 13TW-5s sealed.

I would like to stay away from a baffle over top because of the finish that's already on the box would be very time consuming/expensive to reproduce, for a box that will most likely only be used for this summer

David I'm not sure I understand your internal reduction ring..?

Oversize the existing hole to just beyond the O.D. of the woofer....so that the woofer would barely fall through the hole with a very fine tolerance.

Make an HDPE ring that has an I.D. opening that exactly fits the mounting hole of the woofer. The ring O.D. will be 2.5" larger than the enclosure opening and will be pre-mounted inside the enclosure. Cutting a single thin slit, of max. 1/16", with a hack saw for example, will allow you to worm the ring in through the existing opening. The ring mounts to the inside. The woofer now mounts to the ring.

Since the woofer is now recessed 0.75", the thickness of your box stock, you will need to offset this very small displacement difference.