Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Who else is anal about drying your boat out?!

triscadek

Just curious who all is a stickler on drying your interior out completely or if some just let it be after a day on the water. It gets kind of old tending to it so much.

It seems that no matter what, my rear lockers always end up with soaked carpet after topping off the sacs. I was thinking of leaving the sacs about half full when I stow the boat but unsure of leaving the carpet under them wet. I've been putting mine up in the storage unit with fans hanging from the ceiling blowing straight down on the boat with all the seats flipped as well as the lockers open to insure everything dries. Not everything gets soaked but wet people on the seats drip water under the seats.

Molding usually a legit problem?!

Edited by triscadek

I don't worry much about it. I usually have something like a six week time away with it. Boat stays in the river the whole time. Ski early and put the cover back on to keep the sun off through the day. Ski late then cover back on overnight. Occasionally might leave it open to the sun for a bit of a dry out or have visitors when we use it through the day as well.

Post season it's parked in my garage with the cover off until next Summer - drys out fine. Never has any mould or other issues.

Edited by GreenMan

If its been a rainy week, I'll open it up early in the day and let it air out. I try to check for moisture underneath the seats. You could toss in a bucket of DampRid and leave your seats tipped up.

I always pull my sacs, prop the seats up with a handle and let it dry out a day before covering. Yeah it takes a little effort to keep it all up, but even my oldie goldie boat wasn't exactly given to me so a little extra effort to keep her looking nice is worth it.

• Like 3

When I get ready to put it up at the end of the weekend, I remove any wet gear, leave the hatches open to air out while I get everything else put away nad cleaned up. If I have any area thats just soaked I'll use a microfiber to soak up the water. Wipe all seats down with a towel then cover and raise the lift.

I have 6 people on board all the time and getting in and out from surfing or swimming gets some water in the boat, and I will quick wipe up if necessary (kids are pretty good about not dragging too much water in the boat). We get some water in the bow from filling/draining the bow sack so if thats the case I will lift those cushions out and let the carpet dry out over night. At the end of the weekend I will give all the seats a good wipe down and open anything that needs to be dried out, raise the lift and the air flow under the canopy dries everything out. I dont think im overly anal about it, (my kids think I am)...I just tell myself its a boat and its just water, that seems to make me feel better about it.

• Like 1

For me, part of the joy of owning a boat is getting to wipe it down at the dock or on the trailer.

I'm usually very selective about when I put it away still damp. And most of the time IRS if I'm going to be going out the next morning. Other than that I prop seats open, lay out the life jackets etc and let it air out until next time.

It's a boat, and made to get wet.

Plus I live in a super dry area, so things dry out..... WAY out.

When I lived in Seattle, I used those Dry-Z-Air baskets all the time. Worked great.

It's a boat, and made to get wet.

Plus I live in a super dry area, so things dry out..... WAY out.

When I lived in Seattle, I used those Dry-Z-Air baskets all the time. Worked great.

:plus1:

I don't worry too much about it. If things get really wet I'll leave the cover off as mine stays on a covered lift. I do hang all my vests and other wet gear from the canopy so they dry out quickly.

• Like 1

Mine is stored in a garage and if I put in there still wet, the smells like mildew for a few days. I have two stand up floor fans that i will put on either side of the motor box angled toward the floor, a box fan i put in front of the motor cover blowing forward with the ski locker open and i have a small desk fan that I throw in the rear hatch. I take everything wet out, jackets, towels, etc and hang them on the trailer rails and make sure all of the seats are at least open so that some airflow gets in there. I put life jackets away last night and found spots under the jackets were still wet a week later.

Airflow is key, i can have the whole boat dry over night.

Luckily for me I've still got the factory cover that breathes better than it repels water so once its under the roof at the dock it drys pretty quick, cover on or off..

Well thankfully my storage is completely enclosed but 13 miles away so when it's wet I make a trip or two during the week to check on it. Ideas just curious about leaving the sacks half full or so (not too much weight for he trailer) to save time instead of draining and pulling them out to dry the carpet. It's inevitable that if we top off the sacs they leak when we cap them or uncap to drain. I typically always pull the cushions and flip the hatches to completely dry. The storage unit has 0 air flow if I don't run the fans I rigged up. I wasn't sure how bad it would mold. Also, with mine being an 00 23 lsv, I haven't looked yet but I think it's a wood floor and don't want to hurry any potential floor rot. I had a four winns last year and the first thing I had to do was replace the floor and carpet. I'd rather not go through that again.

I get the wet stuff out, boards, jackets, etc.., open all the seats and lockers, and let it air dry. If the carpet in the bow is really wet, I remove the cushions to get some circulation. When wet I don't put the cover back on until dry.

My boat lives uncovered in my pole barn when not in use. I have installed a few ceiling fans to move air, one directly above where the boat sits. I will also take the shop vac to the carpet if it is really wet.

I definitely am. My storage garage is inbetween the lake and our house, less than 10minutes from home so when we get off the lake we wipe it down and remove anything wet as well as prop up all the cushions. I'll typically go back a night or two later depending on the weather and how wet it go to check on it and hopefully put everything away and close it up as the dust/junk from the ceiling piles up if I leave it uncovered for long. Definitely DO NOT put it away wet, my dad's has a 1996 Malibu he bought new and it still looks great so I'm just trying to replicate what he's done so hopefully our boat still looks good in 20 years.

FYI...99% sure any Malibu newer than mid 90's has NO wood in the floor/stringers, so not that you shouldn't take care of it but I don't think you'll have to worry about replacing the floor.

Sounds like for the most part everyone's just as bad as me then. My factory Malibu cover sucks for fitment so except for a dust/sun cover at home, I don't really bother.

I have racks above the boat in the garage I wipe all the seats over and place cushion s in racks open everything up and because we are in salt I spray silicone spray on engine and wipe it over tower and racks