Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

15 Touchscreen not functioning to touch

On a camping trip, luanched the boat, main screen functioning all stats, but touching it is not doing anything.

The whole unit was very hot to the touch when my wife took it off the trailer and I have tried shutting it down for 10 min at a time, killing all power and still not allowing touch. I draped a very lightly damp towel over it and it is much cooler now.

My wife also shut the engine down twice by using the power button mistakenly. Did that do it?

Any ideas?

It's sitting right now power all of while we eat dinner, hoping it comes around or we will be only be tubing, wont be able to control ballast!

Thanks

ahopkins22LSV

Did you try turning the battery switch off and letting t sit for a few minutes? They powering everything back up?

Also, was the boat out in the sun all day? Anything under the windshield in the sun will get out. The powering down should not affect the screen.

Out of paranoia I cover dash and screen with towel when tied up to my houseboat in sun. I would think that direct sunlight for long periods would not be good for screen. It's LCD, liquid crystal display. Maybe the heat caused the touch function not to work.

Trailered all day in the sun with the boat cover on, 80 degree weather. I'm sure it got hot under there

Yes I have tried turning off battery switch for 10 min. It still didnt help.

It's been powered off now for about 30 min, going to go try again after we finish eating.

Both screens are touchscreens, but I have to assume you're referring to the 12" and not the 7" unit. The 12" is a secondary monitor to the 7" and the 7" houses a Windows 7 computer running the "embedded" version of windows. The 12" is connected by an RJ-45 cable (network cable) but it uses a different protocol that I can't think of the name right now. While there may be a failure of the touchscreen component in the display it's more likely that a connection is loose. I would suggest unplugging a replugging the gray (in my boat) network looking cable from the back of the 7" display; make sure the battery switch is off, this is a computer and even though it's Win7 hot-plugging a monitor is hit-or-miss.

Once you unplug/replug the monitor cable then re-power the system for testing. If there still isn't any response I would then remove the screws from the back of the 12" display and look to see if there is a similar plug inside the cover. If it's a loose cable it could be at either end... I haven't opened up the back of my 12" display yet, but plan to do that soon to adjust the tension on the mount for tilting the display.

If you need/want pictures of the cable I'm referring to just post to this thread; I can take pictures tomorrow morning.

I'm crossing my fingers for you that it's an easy fix since it's no fun to spend vacation time troubleshooting an issue with the boat.

Went out after dinner and still not working. Even though the unit is not hot anymore the touch function is still not working, all other functions of the screen are working. The only thing that was noticeably different on power up was a windows grey error box that popped up on the left side of the screen that said "unknown USB device" which I did have my phone plugged into the USB in the drivers side cubby at the time. However that was not the case earlier when the screen first stop responding to touch. So not sure if that is related at all.

mikeo- Yes I am refering to the 12" screen. The 7" screen is working just fine. Willing to try that if it is still not working in the morning. Any pictures would be a huge help to make sure I am handling the correct cable. Thanks!

Be careful not to flip your perko switch on, while the power button on your dash is on. I had to have my MTC replaced. Not sure if this is what happened, but the dealer told me to be very careful about it.

Here are the pictures of the monitor cable; It's been a long week and I can't recall the name of the protocol that Malibu is using for the touchscreen. I'm sure I'll wake up at 2:00am and remember the name...

Overview:

post-3087-0-99088100-1434764193_thumb.jp

So that means that they really mean that it's Flat Panel Display Link (FPD-Link). It's the same protocol used in your laptop to get the display signal through the hinge.

Next week will be a good test for the new touchscreen. Weather is calling for 113 on Friday, it's going to be a cooker on Shasta. I will probably throw a towel over the screen when in direct sunlight.

mikeo- Thanks for the pics, I'll use them if I have any further issues.

Fman- Please post back on how things went in that heat. I didn't have any further issues, but I made sure and threw a towel over it while we were staionary if it was in direct sunlight. I'm curious if it was the heat from trailering with the cover on that did it.

For sure, it's going to be a great heat test for it. More than likely bimini will be up most of the time, but if moored up to houseboat in direct sunlight will throw a towel over it. 113 is the hottest I have ever been in on a lake. That is the forecast now, could change over next few days.

• 3 weeks later...

Had our second instance of overheated screen yesterday. 91 degree day. Occured after being docked for a couple of hours in the sun. Forgot to put a towel over it, but seriously should I have to!

Boats at the dealer today to take care of some punchlist bugs, this among them.

Fman- how'd your screen do at Shasta?

I am having the same issue with my 15 LSV. It is not temp related. It will do it cold or hot. I'm was on vaca over the holiday and it was acting up the entire time. I found that unplugging the gray cable at the back of the small screen would eventually get it back working again but come times took 30 minutes of jacking with it to get it to work. I'll be taking it in to the dealership soon.

I am having the same issue with my 15 LSV. It is not temp related. It will do it cold or hot. I'm was on vaca over the holiday and it was acting up the entire time. I found that unplugging the gray cable at the back of the small screen would eventually get it back working again but come times took 30 minutes of jacking with it to get it to work. I'll be taking it in to the dealership soon.

Was your screen itself hot to the touch? Was the whole unit hot?

Since outside temparture was not a variable for you I am wondering if we have a design issue on our hands where this unit does not have the ability to self cool. It seems odd to me this screen unit has no venting off any kind, it will produce heat by nature of what it does, but with no apparent ability to vent I wonder if that is the issue. My computer monitors at work have a ton of vents in them and they aren't even touch screens.

Keep me posted on what your dealer says and I'll do the same. thx!

My dealer replaced " the brain" of my boat. Swapped out the whole computer. This appears to have solved my heat issue and touchscreen etc. As for the cable it to was replaced. They found it crimped by the small hole it feeds through and thin sheath surrounding the fiber optic cable. They enlarged the hole and installed a thicker cable..

• 1 month later...

Update.

Dealer replaced 12" screen.

New screen froze twice last week, not heat related. Both times I had my phone plugged into the USB port in the cubby by the drivers leg when I went to power up the boat. Both times an "Unknown USB device" Windows box popped up.

Powered everything down for a few minutes and then it worked fine both times.

Sent in an email to my dealer letting them know. Haven't heard back yet.

Thinking it's a software issue, not the hardware.....we'll see.

Update.

Dealer replaced 12" screen.

New screen froze twice last week, not heat related. Both times I had my phone plugged into the USB port in the cubby by the drivers leg when I went to power up the boat. Both times an "Unknown USB device" Windows box popped up.

Powered everything down for a few minutes and then it worked fine both times.

Sent in an email to my dealer letting them know. Haven't heard back yet.

Thinking it's a software issue, not the hardware.....we'll see.

I think the system does not like something to be plugged into the USB ports while it is powering up. Some low power draw items might be ok, but some of these new phones draw some serious power for a regular USB port.

Edited by 23LSVOwner