Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Rear bags draining when listing to surf

sidekicknicholas

I replaced the stock rear tanks on our 04' LSV with 1100# Pro-X bags .... problem is once the bags are 65-70% full, water starts to trickle out the drain hole.

I searched but didn't see anything, but I can't imagine I'm the first to have this problem. Is there a nice quick and easy fix to this?

My thoughts were re-route the drain line to the very very top of the hull and zip tie it in place, still might not be high enough though,

or

Find an old wine cork or something and plug the drain hole until we're ready to empty

.... any other suggestions are welcome.

Thanks!

We use the wine cork as of right now but I'm going to try to find a permanent fix to this soon! (I hope). What some people do is wire the drain hose to the other side on both bags and that keeps it from spilling out. I was thinking of putting a valve on the drain hose as that would probably be to easiest fix.

• Like 2

What some people do is wire the drain hose to the other side on both bags and that keeps it from spilling out

Does that present an issue with stock pump size? Going for 24" of hose (or whatever it is) to probably the better part of 10' of hose to get to the other side is a lot more weight for those pumps to try and push.

Would a normally closed solenoid valve wired into (off of) the pump be the way to go .... then when the pump gets power the valve would open... just a little extra wire needed.

Does that present an issue with stock pump size? Going for 24" of hose (or whatever it is) to probably the better part of 10' of hose to get to the other side is a lot more weight for those pumps to try and push.

Would a normally closed solenoid valve wired into (off of) the pump be the way to go .... then when the pump gets power the valve would open... just a little extra wire needed.

Im not the one to answer that question as I have never done it. Im sure someone else on here would know the answer to that.

From what you indicate - the problem is your drain hole and line is at the height of your bag when it is 65-70% full. Your train of thought is correct - you need to have your drain line loop up higher than the bag when listed and full.

• Like 2

You can either install anti siphon valves, or get longer hoses & route to opposite side drain holes or the cork screw (which I am using). Now, cork screws come in all different sizes, I got lucky as my wife for some reason has a huge jar of all the cork screws she has been through, so I was able to find a few that fit, keep em in my glove box on the boat

The pumps don't suck well but they push well. I tested it a while back with a 5 gallon bucket of water and raised the end of the discharge hose straight up 8-10' and could not tell a significant loss in flowrate. Certainly no problem running hoses to opposite sides. I chose to run mine up the gunnel 3-4' and looped back and it worked too.

Edited by Ndawg12