Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Fin set up

racer808

Hoping to ride my Volt board for the first time this weekend. Anyone have suggestions on fin placement or know what the different fin configuration will do?

What is the real difference between skim & surf? skim breaks free, easier to do tricks?

Surfing is more like ocean surfing with agressive turning. Skimming is like 360's, Shuvs etc.

Edited by NeverEnuff

We had ours setup like Nevers but couldn't get it to go ropeless, we pulled the big center fin, moved the smaller fins to the bottom positions and I jumped on it for literally one pass on the way off the lake the other day. It was MUCH faster and even went ropeless for a short while.

We had ours setup like Nevers but couldn't get it to go ropeless, we pulled the big center fin, moved the smaller fins to the bottom positions and I jumped on it for literally one pass on the way off the lake the other day. It was MUCH faster and even went ropeless for a short while.

Can you ride ropeless with other boards? My fish board is easy to ride ropeless, hope the volt is a good board, wife isn't going to let me buy another one for a bit

Can you ride ropeless with other boards? My fish board is easy to ride ropeless, hope the volt is a good board, wife isn't going to let me buy another one for a bit

We seem to get a good amount of push no matter what fin setup, for us its rather easy to go rope-less.

It's the only board we have, no nothing to compare it with.

Rznhales...my dealer Andrew at Stateamind in St louis said I should be able to ride the Byerly Volt or the Buzz at my wt of 225. I bought the Byerly idle wood and was able to go ropeless

I think before I go dump money on a new board, I'm gonna spend some time on the Volt. I went for a short time ropeless on it and I really wasn't doing alot of the things that the recent thread on here about teaching newbs to surf talked about. My Enzo has a 1450 lb sac plus a Switchblade (Wedge) that I believe is around 1200lbs of ballast. So rough math is around 2500+lbs of ballast and the wave has plenty of push and is really long. The last time I tried my son was driving and it was his first time this season so I have no idea what speed he was going. My dealer said the same in regards to the Volt, he loves it and couldn't talk enough about it so we'll see.

Awesome that you went ropeless on the Idylwood!!

Edited by Rznhales

Probly a good idea. If you have a long wave that's great! After going ropeless on the idle wood I rode the volt. Almost had it. I have to work on the wave to lengthen it out

I tried the two large fins on the sides & that sucked. However I was having first time out issues & the wave sucked & once I got it dialed I already my other board down & was having a blast, didn't got a chance to change fins around & try again

Edited by racer808

I have the volt as well. Having a tough time staying ropeless. I have the small fins set to the back settings. Considering removing both small fins and just putting one small fin in the center. Thoughts?

The broadcast and volt are the same price, but the broadcast is a much better shape. So many people have been buying the volt lately because it looks cool but it does not ride well.

I could hardly ride the volt when I tried it.

It looks cool, but it hurts my front foot

Wakemitch, I'm really considering picking up a Victoria Debut, you said in another post that its a great board. Will I see a big difference vs. the volt? Also, is it made entirely out of wood?

It is the easiest board to ride that I have used to reach people. It's not a fast high performing board, it's just meant to be super stable, locked into the wake, and get you ropeless.

It's all birch and wrapped in e-glass and resin. You will never break it. And the weight makes it extra easy to ride.

If you can already ride ropeless consistently I would not recommend the board though.

I put the two smaller fins on the further back holes today & I had a great time on the Volt. Once I got the board figured out & to put your feet closer together than my surf board likes it I dug how it handles & rides. I usually ride a 5'4" which my 13yr daughter has a hard time controlling it. She jumped on the Volt & was riding with slack in the line for a while, she's almost going ropeless now too.

If Byerly himself can ride it ropeless, so can we. lol

I'm considering it my summer challenge!!

Today was so good, my wave was dialed. Water was close to glass so I sacked the s**t out of my boat, 750 in the bow, 900-1000 surf locker, 500 on the side seat, about 400 non surf side locker, wedge down & ghetto gate on. I could have rode a 2x4 ropeless today. Pretty sketchy feeling behind the wheel though

Racer, that is my current set up. But like you, I have been riding a longer board (Inland Blue lake, with deep fins). I'll have to spend more time figuring out the Volt. As RZN said, I see videos of guys doing shuvs and airing it out without issue.

ahopkins22LSV

I have just a few outing on my Volt. Not 100% in tune with it yet. At points it feels real surfy and then others it feels real loose/skim. But when I go to spin for a 3, it normally stops me dead at about 90* rotation. I am going to take the center rear fin out for tonight and leave the two on the sides closest to the back. I will report back after our sets.