Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

First Malibu - heater, hot shower questions

Ohnoyoudidnt

2014 Wakesetter 22 MXZ

Forgive my ignorance.

At my feet on drivers side is a panel of reset switches/buttons that includes heater, heater #2, and hot shower.

As a non mechanic, are these reasonably easy installs (heater, hot shower) or should I let the local dealer?

Recommend 3 port heater or 2?

Heatercraft shower or Malibu product?

TIA

They are relatively easy installs if you have basic electrical knowledge and mechanic skills and arent scared to cut holes in your boat. Heatercraft is what malibu uses. So wait for a group buy or go direct.

• Like 2

I had Malibu install both the heater and showing in my '15 23 LSV. In hindsight I would not have had them install the shower since the location of the shower head is totally boneheaded and every connection was loose (maybe that was a dealer prep issue) and all the hoses are kinked therefore no pressure. The heater, on the other hand, is something that I wanted Malibu to drill the hole and run the hoses.

Here's my advice: figure out why you want a heater and/or shower. My justification was the kids (2 & 4) that have to wear life jackets on the boat: after they're in the water and then get back in the boat they get cold quickly and they MUST wear their life jackets when the boat is running. I can keep them happy with a hot water shower and/or heater hose inside a towel or blanket OR I can go back to the dock and put them in dry clothes with no life jacket and then try to get the family back out on the boat. I paid the extra money to keep the family on the boat so I could get more than one ride in per trip to the water.

A "simple" two outlet heater with at least one long hose will allow you share the heat with a passenger. Mambe also makes a really neat blanket that connects to the heater duct, but you have to call them and ask to order one:

http://www.mambeblankets.com

I recently installed a Heatercraft 3-port heater on my 2011 VLX and it isn't too much of a job assuming you like this sort of activity. Also added a pump that keeps the hot engine water circulating even with the engine off which most will say is a must. The heater box was installed on the port side in the battery compartment with 3-flex tubes that do a great job keeping everyone toasty. I don't have a shower but did on my previous boat. The shower didn't get used all that much thus my not opting for one this go-round.

This pic shows only two of the three outlets but I think you get the jist. I like the idea of having easy access to the heater core with it on the port side as opposed to having it located behind the sub woofer kick panel at the driver's feet.

post-21670-0-50751700-1434630066_thumb.j

The heater is a cool feature but can cause problems. It was causing my boat to overheat at idle so I had to bypass it. I also had the shower on an earlier Mastercraft. I didn't listen to a friend who said "you won't use it" and got it anyway. He was right. Not only did we not use it, it leaked constantly so I bypassed it.

I also had problems with the heater core leaking...

I had Malibu install both the heater and showing in my '15 23 LSV. In hindsight I would not have had them install the shower since the location of the shower head is totally boneheaded and every connection was loose (maybe that was a dealer prep issue) and all the hoses are kinked therefore no pressure. The heater, on the other hand, is something that I wanted Malibu to drill the hole and run the hoses.

Here's my advice: figure out why you want a heater and/or shower. My justification was the kids (2 & 4) that have to wear life jackets on the boat: after they're in the water and then get back in the boat they get cold quickly and they MUST wear their life jackets when the boat is running. I can keep them happy with a hot water shower and/or heater hose inside a towel or blanket OR I can go back to the dock and put them in dry clothes with no life jacket and then try to get the family back out on the boat. I paid the extra money to keep the family on the boat so I could get more than one ride in per trip to the water.

A "simple" two outlet heater with at least one long hose will allow you share the heat with a passenger. Mambe also makes a really neat blanket that connects to the heater duct, but you have to call them and ask to order one:

http://www.mambeblankets.com

Talk about boneheaded placement. Got the factory installed 3 port heater and shower on my boat. If I want to take a shower it will be on the swim platform, not IN THE BOAT. Placement was terrible. To make matters worse, there was no instruction manual. The dealer didn't know how it worked, and neither did his rep at Malibu. Service tech figured it out by accident. It works pretty well. Pressure isn't great but adequate for what I wanted it for, a season extender. We have a long season anyway but filling my shorty wetsuit up with hot water in October/November sounds fun. Nearly scaled myself the first time I tried it out. Had to cut my Gator Step around the shower head.

post-29540-0-80814300-1434647652_thumb.j

Edited by Endodoc

Our marine shop is installing both a 3 heater port and a Heatercraft shower. Placement will be in hatch near rear of boat. We will have to raise the compartment each time to access the shower. The Malibu version would allow hose access outside the compartments, but you still have to open them to turn on the water valve the first use od the day. We decided on the Heatercraft version.

I always thought that installing the heater core under the dash was stupid. So if it pops from not being winterized, it could spray all over your electronics? :Doh:

I helped a buddy install his heater in the seat in the corner behind the driver. Much easier to work on, closer to the engine, and 3 hot tubes right in the middle of where everyone is sitting.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

just bought a 2015 23LSV and neither the heater or shower works despite the previous owner saying they do.  The owners manual and online searching has proven elusive.  For the shower, I see where to turn the switch on but I assume there must be a valve to allow water to flow?  For the heater, the option on the 7" screen doesn't illuminate meaning it cannot be turned on there.

I have a 2015 VLX.  The heater has been well used.  I did a couple of modifications on it that gave me 3 long runs to just about anywhere on the boat.  The wife and kids are happy.  I have the shower too.  My switch is in the starboard rear locker with the shower head out the back.  We have used it every time we camp or at Lake Powell.  It has always been used.  My youngest always uses it to warm his wetsuit before he jumps in.  As for it functioning mine is like a shower knob to adjust the the temperature between hot and cold.  We run it with the engine running to keep the hot water going.  If there is no pressure, then there may be an issue with the pump, a loose connection, or a blown fuse?