Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

18" Boatmate wheels: really dumb question

Sunscape fan

Okkkkkk....so I am going on a fairly long trip coming up and wanted to check the torque of the wheels on my Boatmate trailer. It has the 18" wheels from Boatmate that says "Mayhem" on the hubcap. I honestly thought the hubcap was held on with the Allen bolts...or what look like Allen cap screws. Turns out, those are plastic and break when you use an Allen key to remove them!! So I glued them back on.

My question: how the heck does the hubcap come off?? I pried at it, pulled at it, took the Center mayhem cap off and pulled again...the thing won't budge!!!

Only one of the Allen bolts is actually an Allen bolt? The others are just there as plastic design.

Only one holds it on and is metal not plastic.

Really? How do I know which one is real?

well I would really like to link a pic but since Tapatalk isn't avail anymore... this is lame.

you have a center cap covering your lugs with what you think are fake plastic allen bolts. 1 of them is a real one holding that cap on. look closely, you'll be able to tell the difference between the plastics and the metal one.

Yes that's what it looks like. I guess a magnet might work....I can't believe the rest are plastic!!

Magnet likely won't work since they are likely either aluminum or stainless. If you can't tell by looking at them then an eye exam might help ;) Or just use the tip of your knife to figure out which is metal.

From the picture I'd suspect top and bottom with the logo as pictured unless that center section actually spins.

Edited by oldjeep

Yep it might be two per.

I have almost the same rims.... and yep there are plastic bolts and then the real ones. Get close... you'll be able to tell. I know I swapped 7 of them on my triple axle trailer.

The centre section actually pops off too...I thought that was the only part that was removable at first but realized the lug nuts still weren't accessible.

I guess this is a good time to realize that you need to know how they come off and have the tools to do it in your truck rather than happening on the side of the road somewhere.

Exactly...that's why I'm going through and doing this now instead of roadside when I have a flat...

Sunscape.... Another consideration is the socket needed to remove a lug nut off those Rims.

A standard deep well wouldn't fit down in there... Mine requires a thin walled deep well. Vs a standard one. Might wanna check to see if yours requires the same and keep it in your truck.