Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

1998 Malibu Response oil change questions

I am doing an oil change for a friend on his 1998 Malibu Response. He really does not know much about the boat, I am assuming it has a small black 350. Does anyone have the oil filter type and model he can pick up at the local auto store? And I am also wondering about oil type, is it the same 15w-40 that I use in my engine. Also, oil capacity with filter change? Another question, does this boat have a drain line attached to the bottom of the oil pan, or will I have to extract it through the dipstick?

Thanks for any information... trying to save him a few bucks, actually a couple hundred.

Edited by Fman

Have him take a picture of the filter that's in there and go to the auto parts store; The only difference I've been able to tell from auto vs. marine oil filters is that the marine filters (sometimes) have an anti-corrosive paint on them since they might be used in a saltwater environment. For freshwater use I don't think there is anything wrong with using an automotive filter. There are forums out there that dive in to the differences between different filters (elements, blackflow springs, etc.) and oil (traditional, synthetic, brand vs. brand) but it really boils down to personal preference.

The guys over at Bakes put most/all the manuals online here:

https://www.bakesonline.com/boatinfo.aspx#Manuals

If you suspect that the wrong filter is on the engine, or don't know what oil should be in the engine, get the serial number and call the people who put it together; they'll be able to tell you exactly what filter, oil, and capacity for the engine.

...but yes, it should be a classic small block V8 chevy 350 engine.

Not sure on the filter but I had a '96 and used 15W-40 and it did have the oil drain hose on the bottom. Call your local dealer. I'm sure they could give you the correct filter size.

According to the Indmar manual in the resources section the filter is a PZ3 (penzoil) and any auto store should be able to cross ref that. Also according to that manual - 15W40 is the correct oil and takes 5.5 quarts with filter like every 350 ever made ;)

Only potential monkey wrench is if it is a Mercury Motor, filter is likely the same but not 100% sure.

Edited by oldjeep

I've always used Rotella T1 SAE40 with a regular automotive filter (Fram) with the frequent oil/filter change that my boat gets I don't see the need to use any sort of fancy filter.

I've always used Rotella T1 SAE40 with a regular automotive filter (Fram) with the frequent oil/filter change that my boat gets I don't see the need to use any sort of fancy filter.

Nothing fancy about any of the filters. They are all just common auto filters.

I recommend the truck filter for the small block Chevy, Wix 51061 as noted by MB. Napa / Wix / Purolator tend to be better filters than Fram and it's variants. I would not go with a racing filter, they have better flow at high engine speeds, and less filtration to accomplish that flow level.

All is good, fresh oil... that was super easy...he ended up having the monsoon 325. I tell ya, those direct drives are crazy easy to work on...that was a nice change from the jammed 409 I have to contend with.

I tell ya, those direct drives are crazy easy to work on...that was a nice change from the jammed 409 I have to contend with.

I miss my direct drive every time I do any maintenance on my boat.

Wix is the only filter we ever run on personal vehicles, muscle cars and now my boat. Buy a Fram and Wix and cut both in half and you will see an amazing difference. Good luck.