Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wakeboard Fins

jshap

I think I'm finally ready to go with a smaller fins on my board. My CWB Pure came with the 1.9" skater fins and I'm thinking about going down to the 1 - 1.2 " Hyperlite aluminum fins. If anyone has them, what do you guys think about them. I'm having a hard time deciding between the two shapes also...

A-wing - Thinking about the 1.1" in these

or...

P-wing - the 1.0 or 1.2" in these.

I guess I'm not real sure what the advantages/disadvantages of the two shapes are. I get the smaller, the looser, but the shapes? I want a looser ride, those 1.9" fins are really hard to get unlocked and have caused some fairly spectactular faceplants... Crazy.gif I'm still pretty much a noob, but I want to learn on a looser ride...thoughts?

IMHO the best way to ride the Pure, or any of the other abslolute shapes, is without any center fins. The outer molded fins will be plenty. Try it and I promise you wont go back.

IMHO the best way to ride the Pure, or any of the other abslolute shapes, is without any center fins. The outer molded fins will be plenty. Try it and I promise you wont go back.

stusumm is quite correct. Nobody rides them w/ center fins. :)

Heh..the thought did cross my mind, but I figured I would start with a smaller center and work my way to none. Meh, worth a try seeing as it's free! Thanks for the input.

Last year I went with smaller fins on my HL Belmont and loved it. This year I went with an Obrien Clutch without the center fin and like it even more. The Belmont is not the best to ride finless as there are not very deep molded in side fins.

Try it finless first and see how you like it. You probably will not spring for the fins.

I put the small .7 inch fins on my CWB absolute platinum and they are awesome compared to the bigger fins. I ride finless if I want to mess with a bunch of surface tricks but for big air jumping I prefer to have at least the small fins. Its not like it is hard to break loose the .7 inch fins when you want to and you can even do noseslides on the wake without them being a problem.

Finless is the way to go..If you learn to ride finless your balance with improve that much faster...Fin acts like a crutch. You may have bad habits that you don't even know about and that huge fin is masking the problem. If you take it off and start slding all over the place you know you need to work on some things....Just my 2 cents.....

Finless is the way to go..If you learn to ride finless your balance with improve that much faster...Fin acts like a crutch. You may have bad habits that you don't even know about and that huge fin is masking the problem. If you take it off and start slding all over the place you know you need to work on some things....Just my 2 cents.....

That's what I'm afraid of! ROFL.gif I'm going to try it finless next time out and see what shakes...I can always add small fins if I don't care for the ride later.