Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Water fuel separator

4nryde

My 93 echelon has a spin on water fuel separator (Napa 3225). When should this be replaced? Why can't I empty it and reuse? Does it also perform some filtering?

Not only is it the water separator, it serves as a fuel filter also. Reusing after draining would be similar to reusing an online fuel filter or an oil filter. There will be debris in the paper element.

• Like 2

its less than $10 bucks and installs in less than a couple minutes. I changed mine at the beginning of every season at the same time I did the oil change.

Cheap and easy no point in not changing it yearly imo.

Also the water "seperator" is actually most likely a water absorber. The filter media is made of special paper which absorbs water but lets fuel through. If too much water enters the filter it will plug up and not let fuel through anymore. The media swells up inside. Cheap to replace every couple of years unless you get a bunch of water in the tank.