Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Best way to tie up a boat to this dock...

NeverEnuff

So every year our family gets together for a week on a lake for july 4th, this will be our third year on lake oconee and our second year at this rental house. Everything is great besides the dock. The owners boat is in the slip on a lift so we are left with one side of the dock with two cleats. Last year we had a 205 prostar and we were struggling to tie it up good because the bow and stern rings were further apart than the cleats on the dock. Now that we have a vtx is should be easier since the cleats on the boat are closer together. But Im am still concerned about the boat banging against the dock (Yes we would have fenders). What do you think would be the best way to tie up the boat? We were thinking about putting an anchor in the water to try to keep the boat away from the dock. What do you think? Here is a pic of the dock. (I tried to circle the cleats the best I could)

Screen%20Shot%202015-06-17%20at%203.44.1

I would anchor it off the dock with an Anchor Buddy.

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=33367

We use these all the time. You anchor off the boat or the shore, then you back the boat to the dock and tie it off with a short line while loading and unloading. Once you are done, you give it plenty of line so the boat can drift freely. The only problem that can happen with this setup, is if it is really windy, the boat can get at an angle to the wind and waves because it gets stuck at the max fixed rope and the limit of the Anchor Buddy, and can take on small amounts of water. Have had this problem at Lake Powell mooring off the end of the houseboat.

Another option is to use dock whips. I have never used them but have seen them on docks.

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Dockmate-Deluxe-Mooring-Whips-16&i=74610

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Wake-Watchers-Mooring-System&i=34585

Oconee has fixed docks. If it is a wood dock, and there is space between the side rail boards or the top boards, there are several portable cleat solutions that will work (google dock edge insta cleat, and you will see a bunch). They fit in a gap in the dock, tighten down, and work fine. Also, since the docks on Oconee are fixed docks, there will be a round piling driven into the lake bed at each corner of the dock, and potentially in the middle. If you get in the water and slip a short piece of rope around the pylon and tie it there (maybe run the end through a coozie and then put a loop in it to tie to), you can then tie your boat ropes to the corner pylon ropes easily. Coupled with the cleats, that should give you plenty of tie down points.

The lake will be busy July 4th week. PM me if I can provide any local advice, recommendations or assistance. Rob

Bow out if the water is deep enough. Use the largest diameter bumpers you can find, not the cheap little ones most boaters think are OK. Boat Ballz are 18" in diameter. Use 3 or 4 of them

• Like 3

So every year our family gets together for a week on a lake for july 4th, this will be our third year on lake oconee and our second year at this rental house. Everything is great besides the dock. The owners boat is in the slip on a lift so we are left with one side of the dock with two cleats. Last year we had a 205 prostar and we were struggling to tie it up good because the bow and stern rings were further apart than the cleats on the dock. Now that we have a vtx is should be easier since the cleats on the boat are closer together. But Im am still concerned about the boat banging against the dock (Yes we would have fenders). What do you think would be the best way to tie up the boat? We were thinking about putting an anchor in the water to try to keep the boat away from the dock. What do you think? Here is a pic of the dock. (I tried to circle the cleats the best I could)

What part of lake Oconee are you on?

Easy fix...... Get 2 pieces of thin PVC pipe cut to whatever needed length and cover them with pool noodles (won't hurt boat). Run rope through the PVC and attach them to the dock and boat. This will keep the boat from banging on the dock. Then run a rope to the shore and one to the back of the dock to keep it from moving backwards and forwards. Works great for our boat.

Edited by 2014AXIST22

Only way to ensure you don't end up with dock rash from the dock or fenders is not to tie it to the dock. I would throw an anchor out to the deep water and attach that to the bow then run a line from a transom eye or rear cleat to a cleat on the dock. If you do it right you should be able to get the platform within 4"-6" of the dock when stressed so you can make an easy stride into the boat from the dock. I do this every year when we go on vacation. I bring a second anchor with 20' of line, a old bumper and a spring loaded clip like the one on your trailer winch on it just for this purpose. Once I get the anchor set where I want it I leave it there for the duration of the trip so I don't have to repeat the anchoring process again.

Believe me, if you tie up to that dock and a bad storm or a couple wake surfers come by eventually something bad will happen.

Once again thanks for all the input! I am probably try to rig up some kind of anchor system but if that doesn't ill make sure I have some big fenders just in case. THX ALL! :werule:

Buy an anchor buddy and you don't have to worry. You can drop anchor about 30 feet out from the dock with the anchor buddy attached to the anchor. Back the boat to the dock, while anchored, tie a dock line to the transom and grab that and hop off he boat onto the dock. The anchor buddy will such the boat out about 20; from the dock. Tie the transom line to the dock. When you are ready to load up, untie the transom line from the dock, pull the boat to you, hop on and the anchor buddy sucks you out to your anchor. Put a D clamp on the end of the anchor buddy, may already have one. Attach that to a buoy and leave the anchor and line in the water. When you return, pull up to the buoy, attach the D clamp to your bow ring and back up to the dock like before. Supper easy and the most trouble free way to not mess your boat up.

• Like 2

Front boat cleat to rear dock cleat, front dock cleat to rear boat cleat. Then you'll have to rig up some sort of bow line.

Add a stern line and you just tied up a submarine.

• Like 2

Exactly. If I was a homeowner and some DA was screwing these things into my dock, I'd be keeping their damage deposit.

Wait, this is just a rental unit right? Or is it your own dock that you are looking to install something on?

• Like 2

Just get some hippity hops. The exile ones are great but I got some at toys r us for <$6. I don't like using the balls for long term docking but for a week long trip, they'd do just fine. Just line up 3 or 4 along the dock. If one pops, no big deal. Only really need 2. The extras would just be insurance. Again, doubt you'd have a problem for a short vacation.

• Like 1