Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

ugh, this wake!

triscadek

So I =ve been toying with the wake some for boarding and cant quite seem to get THIS wake... am I just screwed being that I have a diamond hull? (00 23 LSV)

Currently I have two 1100s in the rear, 750 on the bow, have a 450 in the ski locker I have yet to fill due to a plug that just came in and I have played with the wedge some as well as speed. The wake just seems to be too daggum steep vs this picture which is what I see in almost every photo and video.

right now Im at 65 feet and the wake doesnt seem to be much better behind me.

This is the wake Im trying to obtain, ideas?

(Ill get some pics of mine up (hopefully) this weekend after "Tropical Depression Bill" moves through here in Tulsa)

ec321432-78f7-4daf-bb54-a459fe92e887.png

2200lbs in the rear and only 750 in the front...Id add another 1000 between the middle and front of the boat AT LEAST or dump some out of the rears. You probably should dump around 1200 lbs to even out to what you have in the front.

If I'm correct, unless I'm doing the math wrong here, 40% of the 2200 in the rear should have me at 880 in the nose? So I should need about another 150-200 in the ski locker?

Those hard numbers don't mean the best. That is more of a ballpark. Your boat might like a little more in the bow. Your wake preference might like a little more in the bow. I would fill the bow bag you have till full then start filling the stern bags and look at wake shape. When you get the shape you like you should have a better understanding of the ratio you are looking for.

• Like 1

Your math is right and I think your weight is good. I really feel the wedge in stowed position will give you what you want and will not shrink the size of the wave significantly. It will be slightly lower/smaller, but I don't think you will notice it that much. You can try the added weight in the front and that should help, but I believe the wedge will make a significant difference in the steepness of the wake. Good luck, safe boating and have a great summer on the water!

Question, what type of board are you riding. An aggressive 3 stage is going to be harder to ride on a steep wake than a gradual continuous rocker. Also, what speed are you being pulled at? Some boats wakes don't shape up very well at slower speeds. So you might need to bump the speed up to 22-23.

• Like 1

Ill have to try the forward first idea. I'm all for a big wake but even with the 1100/2 rear and 750 front the wake didn't seem as tall as the above mentioned pic. Usually we've ran 19-21 with this setup and just have had the bags in a couple times. Before was just the 450 in the locker and the wedge and 18 was the ideal speed it seemed.

Also, here is the wakeboard I've been riding since last year. I'm looking to get my OWN and was going to go with the '15 state 2.0, with it having a continuous rocker should help. I'd like the Marek but $650 kinda hurts with bindings and I'm not sure I'm gonna notice that much difference.

http://www.evo.com/outlet/wakeboards/hyperlite-state-wakeboard-2011.aspx

Edited by triscadek

I don't have the convienence of being able to use that much weight because of space limitations. However on my direct drive I run a pair of 400#'s beside the engine, run 300# in the ski locker, and 225# in a custom tank under the rear seat. Actually with all the tanks full, for most people this leaves a really nice ramp. I tend to like that little extra lip, so I put the wedge down for myself and a few, but weighted roughly 60/40 rear to front seems to work nicely. I can't say with that much weight that the wedge makes a lot of difference on size, but it adds more aggressiveness to the wake I say... Also I would recommend the Marek if you can find one priced nice, I just switched to one last fall and really like the ride!

Edited by Dale974

I may just have to bite the bullet and get the thing haha.

I was limited on space until I moved my batteries and opened up my rear compartment. I don't care having a big bag up in the bow taking up all that room but at least it's the only thing out other than not being able to shove a cooler in the rear lockers. I like things orderly haha.

I don't have the convienence of being able to use that much weight because of space limitations. However on my direct drive I run a pair of 400#'s beside the engine, run 300# in the ski locker, and 225# in a custom tank under the rear seat. Actually with all the tanks full, for most people this leaves a really nice ramp. I tend to like that little extra lip, so I put the wedge down for myself and a few, but weighted roughly 60/40 rear to front seems to work nicely. I can't say with that much weight that the wedge makes a lot of difference on size, but it adds more aggressiveness to the wake I say... Also I would recommend the Marek if you can find one priced nice, I just switched to one last fall and really like the ride!

fyi your 97 does not have the diamond hull like triscadek. Diamond started in '98.

I bought a 98 sunsetter lx with the understanding that the diamond hull was only on the sunsetter lxi. apparently that is not the case it is on all sunsetter from 98-02 from further investigation.

If I'm correct, unless I'm doing the math wrong here, 40% of the 2200 in the rear should have me at 880 in the nose? So I should need about another 150-200 in the ski locker?

I think you're math is off, you have 2950lbs available but are limited to the 750 in the bow. Therefore you should only be puttiing 1125lb total in the rear, based on the 40/60 rule.

I think you're math is off, you have 2950lbs available but are limited to the 750 in the bow. Therefore you should only be puttiing 1125lb total in the rear, based on the 40/60 rule.

I have an extra 450 that came with the boat that I usually keep in the ski locker. I haven't filled it with the other 3 bags due to a crew mate draining it and dropping a drain plug in the drink. I'll be able to fill it this weekend I believe. With that said, if I fill up both 1100's, then the 750 up front, I should be able to fill the 450 some to have some lee-way

It would sure be nice if there was a way to measure how much water comes in the boat! ?

Edited by triscadek

I don't think you need those 1100s full in the back. You shouldn't need that much weight to get a good wakeboard wake. I would try filling them about 1/2 to 3/4 and fill the front 750 and mid 450, no wedge, and see how your wake looks. 2200 lbs in the back is too much from what I've seen with wakeboard wakes.

OK so we got out this weekend and got the wake where it needed to be!!! 750 in bow, 400 in ski locker and 1100s on the rear filled up to about 3/4 - 4/5. Here are some pics

EBE8C23A-AF7D-4B5A-9FE7-B8C731C0C05C.png

ZOOMED IN

BE51AFD5-D3E4-4C05-800F-C02E9BD664BB.png

this is the surf wake. It needs work. 10-11mpg (No PP) 1100 port rear locker. 1100 filled 50-60% on port seat, 400 in ski locker, wedge down.

853D2405-2D50-45D3-A4F2-34EFF61EFE02.jpg

Same set up, No wedge... prob 14-15mph. We were going to pick up friends real quick and I snapped this taking off. It didnt seem tall enough.

C4858115-0643-49D5-9DA1-F26987C0C7EF.jpg

Edited by triscadek

Heres another of the surf wake, no wedge. same setup as above

241A6399-3110-4A99-A8CE-929C37B90A09.jpg

Here is a couple of how the boat is sitting in the water with the surf weight....

E2DDCC0A-ED7B-4F12-A1B3-777D8460F1AA_1.j

51890BE3-2A49-4A70-BE10-ECC4063670B2.jpg

My bad, but the guy riding does not look like he needs a 3k lb wake. I'd try wedge down and a 750 in the bow for a while.

Thats me... I finally got to where I am getting the wake to wakes, we've only had a few non-rainy days in the past few months... she only got a couple pictures, this one best portrayed the wake and I believe was right at the beginning when I was kind of testing it out before trying to kill myself in a face plant. I was only able to make three runs totaling about 10 min combined, landed out in the flats and lost the claw to my hyperlite bindings. Ive been behind the boat a decent amount, the wake this day finally made it easy for me to get across. The rope is at 65'. My buddy bought the sacs for the boat since he likes to surf, so I figured what the hey, load it up and lets see how big we can make it. I will try the 750 and the wedge. Definitely open to having a good wake with less weight... She sucks the gas a heck of a lot quicker!!! Im more worried about the extra stress on the driveline though than the gas.

Thanks, Cale