Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Board Protection for Wakeboard Racks

River Rat

My boat came with a homemade set of wakeboard racks--looks like someone was handy with metalwork! To protect the boards from the aluminum fingers, they cut bicycle innertubes and fit them over the fingers. This works, but doesn't look right, especially when they start to wear and rip...

What do the commercial manufactures use in between the fingers to protect the boards from contact with metal? I have thought about using strips of felt, but can't figure out how to make them adhere to the aluminum racks. Any ideas would be appreciated!!

My boat came with a homemade set of wakeboard racks--looks like someone was handy with metalwork! To protect the boards from the aluminum fingers, they cut bicycle innertubes and fit them over the fingers. This works, but doesn't look right, especially when they start to wear and rip...

What do the commercial manufactures use in between the fingers to protect the boards from contact with metal? I have thought about using strips of felt, but can't figure out how to make them adhere to the aluminum racks. Any ideas would be appreciated!!

I'm no expert, but They probably use some sort of t-molding made of rubber. The fingers need a slot in them for the T to go into. I think that anything attached to the outside only will easily rub off.

--Robert

You could try the type of self adheasive felt meant for the bottom of furniture legs. It's pretty thick but, once it gets dirty, it may look awful and be hard to clean.

• 6 years later...

I have used it for small parts. Seems it would work well for the forks like suggested above a few years ago. I think it would end up peeling off of a fender flare though.

As stated above. It is not a paint. it is a rubbery shell. I used to use it to seal my servo's back when I was really big into R/C. I don't think it would hold up very well on the fender just because of the road debris. Once a few rocks cut into and then you drop the trailer into the water...I don't think that would be a good thing.

How about coating the forks with this stuff Plasti Dip? Available at Home Depot, Lowes, etc.

I plastidipped mine last year and they are holding up fine. one small spot where my wifes binding was rubbing and wore it down but i was able to fix i easily with some left over i had. I was worried about it marking my boards but have not had any issues. If you don't like it you can peal it off and start over with something else.

try some nevrdull to polish.

as for the protection, try JCwhitney catalog. They have all kinds of automotive weather stripping. You might be able to find something and adhere it with 3M automotive two sided trim tape.

I plastidipped mine last year and they are holding up fine. one small spot where my wifes binding was rubbing and wore it down but i was able to fix i easily with some left over i had. I was worried about it marking my boards but have not had any issues. If you don't like it you can peal it off and start over with something else.

no props...wth?? :biggrin: I made a wooden box about 1" x 10" x 12" (if memory serves) to fill with plastic dip ( I think it takes about (2) 20oz plasti-dip containers to fill ) and then you can run the screw into the forks a little to hold onto as you dip them a couple times. I never used the box but a buddy of mine did.^.. and his turned out pretty good, and he's super ANAL about his stuff looking good...

Edited by Ndawg12

no props...wth?? :biggrin: I made a wooden box about 1" x 10" x 12" (if memory serves) to fill with plastic dip ( I think it takes about (2) 20oz plasti-dip containers to fill ) and then you can run the screw into the forks a little to hold onto as you dip them a couple times. I never used the box but a buddy of mine did.^.. and his turned out pretty good, and he's super ANAL about his stuff looking good...

agreed the box was completely necessary and yes it was awesome!!!. I didn't mention because if i had to do it all over again i would just use the spray. It may take a bunch of coats but using the box takes a steady hand and is time consuming as you need a way to hang them to dry and should rotate while drying to avoid runs.. I had to baby sit them for a bit and it took me few tried to get it right.

I thought that was eagle 1 never dull wadding polish.

I don't know, I always knew it as NevrDull in the black and grey can. If that doesn't work, try to find some Stabrite chrome and aluminum polish.

River Rat

Find your local Ceramic Tile retailer/installer that does and uses Schluter Shower systems.... (or a Home Depot if you have one local)

Get a product called Kerdi-Fix made by Schluter, it comes in grey or white....it comes in a 10.oz caulking tube

This stuff will stick a frog's *ss to a lily pad....

It will also take the heat from the sun and will be TOTALLY unaffected by the water....as it is used in waterproofing assemblies for Schluter Shower systems made to bond, seal, adhere and waterproof various different materials together as one...

As for Felt....Go to your local Carpet store, and ask for a scrap of Synthetic Felt carpet pad....it comes in different weights that are different thickness that range from about 1/4" to about 1/2" It is grey in color and should work well for what you are trying to accomplish....

EDITED PART...

Wow, I just re-read this and noticed that the original post/question was AGES ago....Oh well...perhaps it will help someone else....

Edited by JB-FOOT