Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

The Silver Surfer is coming! (long)

DarkSide

If that 2000 gph pump is the same pump they used on my supra it was junk...way over rated. Took forever to fill. This was an aerator pump, so it might be a totally different pump than you are referencing. If it is a reversible pump I am very interested in it. Do you have a link for it?

Another option...have you considered running two Johnson pumps per bag? Would be simple to do, especially with the newer bags that have two drain/fill ports on lower section of bags. This would give you a true 1500+ gph pump capacity per bag.

Thank you

Beautiful boat!

Will you install aftermarket docking lights, or just go light-less?

The G4 has forward facing lights built in.

If that 2000 gph pump is the same pump they used on my supra it was junk...way over rated. Took forever to fill. This was an aerator pump, so it might be a totally different pump than you are referencing. If it is a reversible pump I am very interested in it. Do you have a link for it?

Another option...have you considered running two Johnson pumps per bag? Would be simple to do, especially with the newer bags that have two drain/fill ports on lower section of bags. This would give you a true 1500+ gph pump capacity per bag.

I hesitate to use reversibles as there will be 3 locations tied together. The chances all three finish at the same time is very slim, and the aerators are much more tollerant of dry run than reversibles. These are the same pumps Malibu is currently using, just a bigger version. http://shurflo.com/marine-products/livewell-pumps/shurflo-high-flow-livewell-pumps/60-shurflo-livewell-2000-12-vdc

The primary desire for faster fill time is switching between surf and wakeboard setups. There are a couple of people in my group, myself included that really prefer surfing. Then there are others who really prefer wakeboarding. If i can get down to that ~3minute mark, r can switch every rotation. Currently it takes 10~15 minutes to do the conversion.

Also i go out a lot on weekday mornings. On those days i have very limited time so saving 10 minutes is actually a big deal.

That's cool, let us know how that pump works... makes you wonder why Malibu just does not run those over the 1200 gph pumps.

Btw, awesome looking build! Going to be a beast...

The primary desire for faster fill time is switching between surf and wakeboard setups. There are a couple of people in my group, myself included that really prefer surfing. Then there are others who really prefer wakeboarding. If i can get down to that ~3minute mark, r can switch every rotation. Currently it takes 10~15 minutes to do the conversion.

Also i go out a lot on weekday mornings. On those days i have very limited time so saving 10 minutes is actually a big deal.

If I understand your plan correctly (and maybe I don't?) the BIG problem with this approach is that you are still relying on gravity to drain the bags back into the hard tanks. IMHO the limiter on draining is not how fast the pumps are but rather how fast the bag will gravity drain into the hard tank. What are you doing to assure that an 1100 will drain into the factory hard tank by gravity in 3 minutes?

ALSO: if you are tying the supplemental pumps to existing pumps via relays, aren't you basically giving up the option to fill only the factory ballast?

Edited by shawndoggy
  • Like 2

Shawn,

Thank you for the questions. I helps me think it through, discussing on here. Please keep the questions coming.

1. I plan to use an additional pump permantly attached to the bag as a drain pump as well as the hard tank pumps. These will be the basic $40 pumps that Malibu uses.

2. I do not expect to be able to drain completely in 3 minutes, but I can drain to a point for wakeboarding in 3 minutes. Also we can hit the drain button while returning to get the surfer back in the boat. The drain works great while the boat is in motion, fill not as much. So fill has been the main focus.

I attached the drawing for the rear bags. There is 3 ports on top 2 fill and 1 vent. There are two ports on the bottom back, 1 gravity drain into hard tank, and 1 for a drain pump. There are 3 ports on the front edge, 1 for gravity drain to hard tank, 1 for vent FROM factory hard tank, and 1 for a drain pump. I am not sure where drain pump would work best so I planned for both locations.

post-24799-0-90814700-1434563724_thumb.j

That's cool, let us know how that pump works... makes you wonder why Malibu just does not run those over the 1200 gph pumps.

Btw, awesome looking build! Going to be a beast...

I suspect cost, nickel and dime time. These pumps are $80 more each, also require 1" inlet vs. 3/4" also a couple bucks more, Also Malibu does not really plan for thier AVERAGE consumer to fill crazy weight. The factory pumps are great if you only fill a 200 pound tank. It is just when you start trying to fill a huge tank that they become too slow.

On a side note, where I got this Idea is from... UGH...Mastercraft... The X23 has 2 fill and 2 drain pumps for each rear location. Ouch.. That hurt...

I suspect cost, nickel and dime time. These pumps are $80 more each, also require 1" inlet vs. 3/4" also a couple bucks more, Also Malibu does not really plan for thier AVERAGE consumer to fill crazy weight. The factory pumps are great if you only fill a 200 pound tank. It is just when you start trying to fill a huge tank that they become too slow.

On a side note, where I got this Idea is from... UGH...Mastercraft... The X23 has 2 fill and 2 drain pumps for each rear location. Ouch.. That hurt...

I'm interested in it for the center 500 lb tank. Might be a winter project, new 1" thru hull, ball valve, and new 2000gph pump. Would be easy to do it, and would fill that center tank much quicker.

Turn pumps off early. The bow should have roughly 3x what the display shows. So 25% would equal 75%. It will definitely take some tinkering. get what u want, then mark where it is. Not going tho be exact science for wakeboarding. For surfing, i will simply fill all 3 bags to 100% then add bomb wake to dial it in. My focus is 90% surf, so getting wakeboard wake solid and easily replicated is not my top priority.