Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Pending boat and owner annihilation

saidainc

How in the fudge do I teach my pre-teen son to drive (and tow / pick up riders) without having a myocardial infarction?

Im sure some of you were successful and lived......

• Like 2

First you have to keep them away from the stereo long enough to even WANT to drive. We went through a few ropes on this journey, and he still over shoots the PP OFTEN. But he now allows me to get in rides so I don't have to fight with the wifey. She hates to drive anything Boat, tow vehicle. Luckily my 2 sons are old enough to drive now so its all good. But good luck and take a lot of deep breaths.

ahopkins22LSV

I am not going through this with children, but my wife. I have found the best solution to be: Let my friend who I trust with my boat teach her. Maybe a good decision for your son too?

• Like 2

if you have a 2012 wakesetter it should be pretty easy with perfect pass. doesn't it control throttle and automatically settle to your set speed. Biggest issue is going to be watching for other boats and picking people up out of the water. both of which are easy enough but make sure you coach him a ton before you put in behind the wheel.

I'd throw a bouy (sp?) out in the water and get him to practice dropping the rope to the bouy.

My 13 year old started driving the boat (with only me and him in it) 2 years ago. He still drives and is pretty darn good - but he always asked and wanted to. He has driven a go cart for several years also, so is pretty comfortable with where the machine is around him. I am not comfortable letting him tow or pick up anyone, although I'm sure he could in an emergency. The key for us was to just get out in open water and let him get comfortable with it. I had to bite my tongue hard to not micromanage him - didn't want to have him shut down.

When my son was about your son's age I pretty much gave up my aluminum jon boat for him to learn on. He and his buddies wore it out. Even propped it to provide a better pull out of the water and now he's is an excellent driver. I think the interest comes on even stronger when they can do it with their friends. He also got amazing good despite riding a puny wake.

post-21670-0-87080600-1434473980_thumb.j

**Note the Bu tribal flames! We even got Jerry Nunn to sign it.

Edited by jgates237

They have to be interested and want to do it to do it well. If the desire is there, just you and him, no distractions and practice, practice, practice. tell him the proper way to do it, show him and then let him try, correct what he does wrong and try again.

Patience on your part. dotn get frustrated, just kep encouraging him and praising what he does right.

The 14yr old from next door is one of the better boat drivers around here. Its simply because he has always wanted to do it and knows that to get the opportunity / privilige, he has to do it correctly.

Edited by chris4x4gill2

Are there actually kids that age that don't want to drive? I would have been stoked to have parents with a boat that wanted me to drive. They weren't even thrilled about me driving cars.

• Like 2

Yeah, the interest is the key. One of mine has no real desire to drive the boat, the other wants to. I'm sure the one that drives has the idea that ill let him take it out with friends when im not around if he does well. ( not gonna happen anytime soon though )

Using a smaller boat is a great start, but he needs to drive the MXZ if you ever want to get him to pull you. Try letting him drive from dock to start point, and work him into driving for his friends to tube (yeah i know... it hurt to even type) that should peak his interest.

I just rebuilt a 16 foot aluminum boat for my 8 and 9 year olds to drive so they can go explore the lake. If my 9 year old could reach the pedals he would drive better then my 17 year old, no question. Seventeen year old has an old pickup truck, and finally asked to learn to drive the boat this summer. Until now, no interest, so definately not forcing the issue, my wife drives great, so no need.

At gunpoint?

You have quite the arsenal at your disposal don't you?

He has become quite proficient himself. Not to mention Jiu Jitsu. Eventually the young buck will teach the worn out stag a lesson or two. I am just trying to preserve an asset for as long as I can before its worth considerably less or nothing due to grounding or a collison

Edited by saidainc

I started driving the boat as a means of freedom. It meant I could get way far away from my parents with friends and hang out. If my dad was in the boat, I would prefer to not drive. That is how I learned on fishing boat and then the I/O... It also made me learn the boat / how to fix it / how to prepare for a day on the water / etc.

Although that probably doesn't help you unless you ready to let your son take out the '12 MXZ with friends alone... :rofl:

If he actually wants to drive it when you're around, I suppose practice makes perfect. You just have to keep reminding him what to do and why.

wow guess I'm lucky, son started driving at 12, pulling me (wakeboard) by 13. Very first day he had his drivers license (actually within 30 min) he was backing down the boat at the launch ramp. Now almost 17 and he drives/tows boat anytime with anybody, surf, wakeboard whatever. My now 14 yr old daughter been driving for almost a year, not as good/confident as my son but I dare say almost as good as my wife!

As many have said, most important is the desire. My soon to be 12 year old son has been driving the boat with me at arms length for 3 years now. He just started pulling my surf runs with wife in boat a few weeks ago. He is determined to get better and it makes me very happy. 8 year old daughter steering in my lap now.

Next milestone for son will be parking in the boathouse..............We still have plenty of practice to do before this happens.

Stereo is off limits while son is driving!!

I started driving boats around same age. Bought my first boat (78 nautilus) at 19. Can only hope my kids love it this much and continue on in their adult lives.

I started driving at 13 because I enjoyed navigating Lake Powell. At 15 I was pulling, mostly because I envied my dad's slalom capabilities and it became a bonding opportunity to pull each other.

Teaching my wife last year to chill on power turning (our lakes are small and crowded) is still a work in progress as protecting the skier is #1 priority. After 3x picking me up on the port side I lit into her (I insist that the driver be able to see a down skier 100% of the time). She didn't want to drive the rest of the day and I didn't get another tow.

It is a respect thing for us. Kinda like prepping the boat or wiping it down. You get out what you put in, and that includes towing your old man around the lake.

I've had my twin daughters on the boat since they were 4 months old. They grew up driving while their Dad sat next to them explaining the rules, teaching them how to read and navigate the water as well as other traffic. By the time they were 13 it seemed like they listened but it didn't really look like they were terribly interested. When their Dad died when they were 15 I told them they had 4 months to get their boaters license. They did get their license and we went to the lake, 1st time. I pulled them then it was test time. My kid pulled me slalom skiing (34mph) in a pretty straight line. When she picked me up She did a fantastic job. I talked her thru a lot while I was floating in the water waiting. I let them take their friends out in the boat alone that year. Now they are 21 and 2 of the best drivers I know. Moral to this story? They watch a whole lot more than you think. I couldn't really micro manage. I had to set example. Nothing like sending 3) 15 years olds in a boat towing you at 34. Makes you want to crawl up the line. Come to think of it sending them up a ski double chair lift alone at the age of 5 may have been worse.

Edited by itznowonder
  • Like 2

if you can find a friend that you know and trust to be a good driver and get them to teach them... family teaching each other seems to result in arguments easily.