Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Speaker options for titan alpha 1 cans

Cayute

Hey guys I've searched lots of topics on this but they all seem to be fairly outdated not sure if the consensus is still the same.

On my titan alpha 1 cans the original mb quart speakers are I'm need of replacement. I like the cans and want to keep them just looking for a direct replacement into that can.

I'm looking for more of a surf set up I think as we tend to hangout around the boat and surf more so than wakeboarding. With a surf setup you can still get it loud enough to hear while wakeboarding right? Doesn't have to be to crazy.

I've read a lot of people recommending a kicker 6500 setup with one 6.5 and one kicker "horn" speaker?

Do I have other good options or what can I fit in there?

Thanks.

When you order the 6500.2 does that setup come with 2 horns and 2 6.5s or just one of each so you order 2 pairs?

Also is it a direct bolt in? And do you still use the aplha 1 mesh covers?

If you had any pics of your setup that'd be greatly appreciated thanks!

When you order the 6500.2 does that setup come with 2 horns and 2 6.5s or just one of each so you order 2 pairs?

The KMS67 (the current part number for 2 years now) comes with 2 mid-bass woofers w/grills, 2 compression drivers and mounting screws. Retails for $379.95 http://kicker.com/41KMS674C. If you order the old KM6500.2, you are getting an outdated model, thats likely from just a clearing house tha bought up all the old inventory.

I need to take some pictures but don't have any sorry. I removed the mesh covers over the mids because I thought it looked better. Kept the mesh over the horns. Horns required a little bit of plastic trimming to get them to mount to the face plate on the alpha can. It was pretty easy though!

When I took the original speaker out I noticed a circuit board lookin thing in the back of the alpha can... Does that stay in there while I hook up the new speakers?

When I took the original speaker out I noticed a circuit board lookin thing in the back of the alpha can... Does that stay in there while I hook up the new speakers?

No, that will not be needed with whatever new speaker choice you go with.

• 1 month later...

I'll need to post up some pictures of my Titan cans with the Kicker KMD6500.2 setup. Based on posts MLA has made (claiming the Kickers can hang with most of the one piece HLCD units out there) I spent some more time with my brother looking over the system. I've never been very happy with the sound at high volumes. It turns out they were setup very poorly by the original installer - brother is very skilled with the audio stuff and re-did all the wiring to the amp, relocated the 15" sub under the helm, and re-tuned all of it this weekend.

DAMN. These things rock HARD! The cabin speakers are still woefully underpowered but the tower and bass sound unbelievable. The mid range sound is distortion free and has lots of pop, and the highs are perfectly clear at all volumes. Completely blows the doors off my buddy's wetsounds setup in his MB, at a fraction of the cost.

:rockon:

Edited by rennis
  • 3 weeks later...

Thank you for the pics just sold me on this setup! For the price difference it will suit my needs just fine compared to putting out roughly 2k for wetsounds

• 9 months later...

Hi Rennis,

I know it's been a long time, but I too now need to replace the speakers in my Alpha 1 cans. If you still have this setup, are you still happy with the Kicker horn setup? And do they sound good up close, i.e., while surfing about 5-10 feet behind the stern?

Kent

I will be putting the KMS674c for 299 from Amazon. They will be here Friday, I'm just worried that the hlcd won't fit in the can for a 08 23' lsv. I'll let you know how they sound. I'm going to swap the amps cabin and tower cause the cabin has 2 filters. I'm going to run the hlcd on high pass and the other 2 on full. Seen where someone did that in another post with good results. If the hlcd work good I'm going to put another set on the hoop

Edited by skylerchamblee
Just cause

$299 is a good price. I ordered a set last night from Best Buy for $329. I will be able to return them to the local store within 15 days if I decide I don't like them. Considering there are no real alternatives for an HLCD that would fit in the Alpha 1 cans, I think I'll play with the filtering and EQ'ing until I like them. :-).  However, 6.5 inch mids aren't going to move much air. And considering the horn frequencies will likely travel further and cut through wind better, ideally one would have two mids with each horn.

Skyler, I would be interested in hearing about your install experience if you'd be so kind(?).

Edited by MalibuKent
23 hours ago, MalibuKent said:

$299 is a good price. I ordered a set last night from Best Buy for $329. I will be able to return them to the local store within 15 days if I decide I don't like them. Considering there are no real alternatives for an HLCD that would fit in the Alpha 1 cans, I think I'll play with the filtering and EQ'ing until I like them. :-).  However, 6.5 inch mids aren't going to move much air. And considering the horn frequencies will likely travel further and cut through wind better, ideally one would have two mids with each horn.

Skyler, I would be interested in hearing about your install experience if you'd be so kind(?).

Kent, I'll try to get my it done tomorrow. I'll have help, 2 and 4 year olds. lol 

On June 9, 2016 at 5:14 PM, skylerchamblee said:

Kent, I'll try to get my it done tomorrow. I'll have help, 2 and 4 year olds. lol 

I got them installed yesterday and wow was i impressed. I was hoping that they would sound about like the ones I have on the rzr and man was I wrong. They sound better. I played with the gains for a bit and got it dialed in and man I was stoked after I got them finished. If your not wanting to spend the $$$ on ws which to me are the kings, I would go this route. KICKER KMS674.....outstanding

Edited by skylerchamblee

What amp do you have pushing them. My only advice is get a good number 2 Phillips bit. The screws might strip. May want to grab a number 1 also. It might fit deeper in the screw head

• 2 weeks later...

I got them installed and really like them so far. I'm driving them with an ARC KS 300.4. It's a 4-channel amp providing 90w/channel RMS (4-ohm). Each individual speaker is rated at 100 watts RMS so it's a pretty good match. Also, I'm able to utilize the crossover built into the amp taking some work off the horns' crossover.  I understand this helps reduce distortion.