Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wont start but engine turns over

I know that this is could likely be a lanyard switch but is there anyway to rule this out? I make sure it was pushed in but it still would not start. Is there anything that can go wrong with the switch internally and does it happen very often? If it isn't the switch what is the most probable things it could be?

on my "vintage" 1999 boat the gauges will not cycle and the fuel pump will not prime but the engine will crank if the lanyard is not attached.

what are your gauges and fuel pump doing?

Edited by Bozboat

If the fuel pump doesn't turn on when the key is on how can I determine the fuel pump is bad and that its not an electrical issue. where is the fuel pump fuse?

Most people will pull the switch out and use a spade jumper to pump the two wires thus eliminating the switch altogether. I recommend replacing the switch but I have several friends that have just left the switch jumpered and taped the reinstalled the old lanyard switch without the wires connected.

interesting. how does the lanyard actually work if its not engaged? it allows current to the fuel pulp and thereby allowing it to run? or does it kill the engine/prevent from starting another way?

If the fuel pump doesn't turn on when the key is on how can I determine the fuel pump is bad and that its not an electrical issue. where is the fuel pump fuse?

Turn the key to the on position but not the start position. If you can't hear the fuel pump prime, then take an electric meter to the plug that powers the fuel pump and see if you get power when you turn the key to the on position.

interesting. how does the lanyard actually work if its not engaged? it allows current to the fuel pulp and thereby allowing it to run? or does it kill the engine/prevent from starting another way?

I understood that the lanyard enables/disables the power to the fuel pump and to the gauges, at least that is what happens on my boat.

ok I can try this, assuming it works fine, how can I troubleshoot the fuel pump or at least that its getting current and where is it located?

Figure out whether your gauges turn on or not first. It'll save you time because if they don't work your fuel pump won't work and you'll just say "Okay, my fuel pump has no current. What's next guys?"

ONLY AFTER YOU LOOK AT YOUR GAUGES check the fuel pump. Gauge test takes 2 seconds. It takes longer to grab the key and get it in the ignition. Actually it takes longer to read what everyone else is saying than to check your gauges. And stop saying your fuel pump is bad when you don't know if it's getting electricity. The gauge test tells you if it's getting electricity. Once the gauges work and it doesn't fire, turn the gauges on and listen for the pump to whine. If the pump doesn't whine take an ohm-meter, set it to V (dc) and check the red wire going into it and touch the black to either the black wire or the engine block. Either one should work. Fuel pump is located on the starboard side of the motor. A Google image search will give you an idea of what you're looking for.

• Like 2

As others have noted, the classic lanyard switch clue is cranks, no start and the gauges do not energise. It's a very common fault and my switch was eliminated years ago.

Is there any chance this boat is non EFI so no electric fuel pump to listen for...?

Edited by GreenMan