Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wakesurfing set-up w/ 23 LSV

Blueforester

Wake surfing is not big or has not caught on here in central Alabama yet. I saw someone for the first time wake surfing this year. We have some folks coming in from California to visit with us in July who wake surf. My 07 23 LSV has the ballast system and power wedge. I've never tried to make a surf wake. Can I make a decent wake surf with my set-up? Or do you have to have the fat saks in addition to what I have to make a decent surf wake? Going to see how it goes next month and who knows I may try to continue with wake surfing.

easily 200+ threads here

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/forum/32-ballast-info-how-to/

answer is yes, but you will need additional ballast

here is a fairly inexpensive option (but depending on how big you want to go, another bag for the port or starboard coffin space and bow bage would be needed)

http://www.wakemakers.com/fly-high-fat-sacs-elevate-turbo-ballast-package.html

you will be listing your boat so filling one bag up all the way and the 2nd bag partially if both are in the rear lockers. you will want to move passengers to the surf side and possibly to the bow as well.

if you have never driven a listed boat probably best not to sac it out without learning to drive and maneuver a heavily weighted boat.

Edited by Stevo

I am not huge into surfing, but we surf all the time with stock ballast and wedge. We have a VLX, but I have surfed this same set up in an LSV. Empty the non-surf side wake and put everyone on the surfside, wedge down and give it a shot. Obviously the wave gets better and bigger with more weight, but it is definately doable without.

• Like 1

I have the same boat as yours and stock ballast will be fine for any rider less than 100 lbs. Meaning, you either need a huge crew or extra bags/sacks to make it rope less rideable for an adult. I'm not suggesting slamming the boat, but it does need some weight to make a nice wave. I usually run all 4 tanks full and the wedge all the way down (up a few clicks every once in a while). Now for my extra weight. I've got an 1100lb bag in the port rear, 370lb in front of that under the seats, 4 amps and 4 batteries under the glove box, 150lb bag up in the bow on the port side. This makes a really nice "regular side" wave.

For my starboard side, I've got a 750lb bag in the rear, make everyone sit on that side, put the 150lb bag on the starboard side up in the bow, 15" sub with a huge box under the helm and my 220lbs driving. This makes a pretty decent "goofy" wave. Still trying to dial in the wedge position for this side. I really need a little more weight on this side and no room under the seats. So, when I've got about 5 people in the boat and they all sit behind me, it has a great "goofy" wave.

The boat is never below the rub rail with these weights and when I get a big crew, I just don't fill the bags all the way. I use the rub rail as my guide for ballast. I get enough weight to get just below the rail and then adjust the wedge position to fine tune.

Edited by gorilla

Thanks guys. We are not experienced wake-surfers obviously, But our friends coming are. So I want to be able to accommodate them. Stopped by Malibu dealer today and they seem to think as ya'll have said that I can just get by with what I have stock for some fun. If we decide to get serious later we my have to add some additional ballast. I'm going to play around with it some this weekend. I have never had boat fully ballasted with full wedge!

Blue

I was toying around with my setup this past weekend up on Smith. You can surf on a rope with the stock setup. Just won't get much push.
Fill all the factory ballasts minus the opposite rear side. (so if you're surfing regular, fill left rear tank, middle and front tanks completely.) Put any weight you can on the port side... cooler in the rear locker, all the people on the port side seat and rear corner seat.

If the wave is really dirty (washy) try putting one person in the bow. Bow weight pushes the front down and cleans the wake up a lot.

My setup will be an 800 lb rear bag and a 350-400 lb bag under the port coffin seat, then put 150-250lbs in the bow and see how that works.