Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Gates or tabs?

clintrenner

Just getting into wake surfing an looking for some advice. have a 98 ssvlx with wedge an sacs…tried to surf an no luck. read a little online an built some homemade surf gates, wa la!!!! i can surf a little now. Looking to make a permeant fix but don't know if i should try some type of tab device or just stick with the gate??? any advice would be helpful, looking for the best option! thanks

What weight were you running before the gate? With your boat you should be able to surf with only an extra 750 in the locker. If your gate is working, stick with that. Likely you just need some practice.

i was running 2 sacs in the back an one in the ski locker, with the wedge down. the gates really made the difference. but yes for sure need more time surfing an getting the feel for it! the gates need a little fine tuning yet tho. had them spaced a little far from the hull an when you go 20-22 it looks like two jet ski roosters flying out the back of the boat… gates kinda catching some water there! but all in all i think they're the trick to a clean wave. would post some pics but i haven't figures out how to do that yet … ha

I did bith a diy gate and diy tabs (NSS). The NSS is definitely better

- waaay less drag so less stress, rpm, gas usage etc on my motor

- you can still steer with it deployed

- it's not as big and klunky to mount/store

- waaay less spray. The gate was hosing everyone in the backseat and into my vents on the transom. Very little spray with tabs

- just as good a wake.

My $.02

Edited by braindamage

I did bith a diy gate and diy tabs (NSS). The NSS is definitely better

- waaay less drag so less stress, rpm, gas usage etc on my motor

- you can still steer with it deployed

- it's not as big and klunky to mount/store

- waaay less spray. The gate was hosing everyone in the backseat and into my vents on the transom. Very little spray with tabs

- just as good a wake.

My $.02

I don't suppose you'd share the DIY link?

See my thread: Surf Plates NSS type Malibu Project in this section from April 2014 Made my own NSS style plates and we love em. (sorry, don't know how to link the thread, I tried)

Edited by h2ojunkie

Agreed, you don't "need" gates or tabs. But I found it to be easier to shape the wave for rider preference. And folks moving around in boat seems to be less critical now w our plates on the boat. With our plates and the wedge and proper weight distribution our wave improved w addition of the plates to our VTX.

We still list our boat but can get great waves on both sides @ 70/30 or 60/40 side-side weight ratios. (Bow weighting very important IMHO as well) Tested experienced riders w and w/o plates extended and everyone seems to like the plate out some 1 1/2-2 1/2" extension, less extension for skim, more for surf style board. If all the way out to 3 1/2" gives ya long wave for surf style board but ya sacrifice some wave "push" (current has to be taken into account as well) but active/experienced rides seem to like that at times.

I don't think plates or tabs will make just any hull design a "surf machine" by any means, but I think w all the devices utilized properly, a wave can be enhanced and shaped to get what the hull and weighting will provide to maximize the potential for a good surf experience.

• 2 weeks later...

im begining to see that surfing requires experience! And also weight! needing to invest in a bow sac to get that 60/40 split. but regardless the gates in my opinion help shape the wave 100%. but I'm just getting into all this surf stuff so I'm still in experimental mode. riding a 5'3" LF fish an thinking i need to get more of a skim skate style board ???? seems that all i can do on that board is slash an ride straight. again experience is a big factor here but I'm thinking a different board might help me progress a little faster? either way I'm believe I'm headed in the right track. got the wave an can surf rope less for a solid minute or so till i try something dumb