Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

1999 malibu response morse mv-3 throttle assembly

Had new stereo installed. they had to remove the panel that holds the throttle and circuit breakers and reattach. The throttle was reinstalled but does not work correctly. if I have it neutral boat will not start. acts like it is in gear. I f I move slightly to reverse, engine starts. It will not go into reverse, but when I move it forward it will go forward. What did they do wrong?

Hard to say for sure without being in front of the control but it sounds to be like they have the shift cable and throttle cable switched on the bell crank ears. The neutral/reverse switch is not engaging until the throttle cable is moved. Pull the control back from the gunnel and trace the throttle and shift cables to ensure they're installed on the correct ears. I'm betting they're swapped. This should only take you about a half hour to do.

Edited by Bturner

Finally fixed. He had the shift arms 180 degrees off and had to reposition them. Everything works normal now. Only thing is the aft metal shift spring broke in half. made one of sheet metal to use but would like to be able to find the part. Took the boat for a test drive. Everything worked fine. Thanks for all the info.