Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

PVC pipe for cover support

smeagol

I know this has been discussed many times, but can't figure out good search terms to get me to it. I'm wanting to use PVC pipe to create a skeleton for my mooring cover. I'm thinking about using the table support to hold the skeleton and then I'll flip the bow half of the cover over onto the back half and then use a pulley system to raise the cover into the roof of the dock.

I don't know if this shot will help. As you can see, I'm using the interior grab-handles to secure the side-to-side cockpit PVC roof supports.

Here's how it all works (EVERY night.)

1/ The front open bow section snaps on in 1 large piece. BOTH side-to-side supports and the short Ridge (front/back) are permanently glued. This take about 5 seconds.

2/ I then snap the foremost side-to-side PVC support (arc) on to the front grab handles. (10 seconds)

3/ I then snap the rearmost side-to-side PVC support (arc) on to the rear grab handles. (10 more seconds)

4/ I then slide in the front-to-back RIDGE pole (the one with the aluminum pipe inside) in between the 2 large side-to-side interior PVC support arcs. (About 20 seconds)

At this point, the front bow section AND the main interior cabin have SEPARATE PVC support systems. They are not joined..... YET.

5/ I made a little "ladder" support system, to run in between the bow support system, and the cabin cockpit section. This "ladder" is smaller diameter PVC.... so it can creat a nifty arc OVER the windshield. It fit into open "T"s in the front PVC system, and the cabin PVC system. This is a little trickier than the other "snap" operations. Takes about 30 seconds to connect this piece.

6/ Last step. I fit the rear-most "L" PVC support (fore-aft) between the rear-most cabn arc, and the rear grab handle. (10 more seconds.)

Lots of words...... but seriously this all gets done in under 2 minutes each night.

Once I see you interior..... we might get some ideas.

post-114-1151357805_thumb.jpg

Here's a pic of the interior... I just ran out and took it. I've got the cushions out b/c it got soaked over the weekend and I'm trying to get it dried out.

The VLX, and I'm guessing most v-drives are not going to have those horizontal hand grabs that you've got on your boat. Mine are vertical and down in the cockpit... so not much use for support.

post-396-1151373014_thumb.jpg

You might have another option.

It looks like you have a "gunnel-divider" running up the right side of the boat. This lets you store stuff under the gunnel. Looks like it's a carpeted verticle divider about 8" high. You could modify the PVC "T" end-piece to rest on the top of the carpeted gunnel-divider. (Just like my interior grab handles) Won't "snap" in place, but will have a firm edge to rest on. This could work if you have a similar gunnel divier on the port side of the boat as well.

You might also be able to put an extra "T" in the "rising" part of the PVC "arc" and tie-in to the verticle chrome grab bar. If you actually fabricate a huge "H" it might work. The left and right part of the "H" are your side-to-side PVC roof-arc's. And the "ross" part of the "H" could be your roof "Ridge".

Starting to sound confusing isn't it.