Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What do I change first? The board, the setup, or Myself

Endodoc

stock does not get it done for surfing by big guys. we have new 2015 LSV 23 and love it. here is our setup which is good sized since we like big: 1,000 lb ea in rear lockers via plug n play, 200 lbs lead in back, all factory tanks full, 400 lb ballast bag up front, 200 lbs lead upfront, PW2 is 2 or 3, speed is 10.8 to 11.2 mph depending on rider - this wave is wonderful. i go 255 and have big size sweet spot.

The LF Fish board is average and not helping ( to be blunt its slow). Good beginner board but we have seen limited success w bigger guys several times even on big waves. Where are you? if near Atlanta, we got some boards to try out. Get some buddies w different boards-try some. Good luck.

I have two other buddies w even bigger setups and they use more weight upfront so my current conclusion is this boat really likes the whole boat to be deeper in the water and not just back loaded like others. one guys has 1,000 lbs upfront-whew.

Great info. Thx. I am at Smith Lake. NW of Birmingham. I suspect that the LF Fish is a bit of a log. You are the first to agree. Don't have acces to many boards to try unfortunately and hesitant about dropping 5 hundo or more on something that may or may not work. Been reading some of the board threads trying to get a idea. Ronix Koal Power Tail seems to be the next purchase. Just had 750's put in the lockers yesterday and will try out this weekend I hope. Edited by Endodoc

Added 750's in the lockers. Dropped the wedge down some to compensate for bow rise and lengthen the pocket (2 clicks back from Lift). Went ropeless on first session.

post-29540-0-21943800-1434985463_thumb.j

Double BAM!!!! alright - way to go. now its board time........

Yeah....Thinking Ronix Koal Fish Power Tail. Seems like most think its a pretty fast board, Evo has it 10% off right now, not terrible at $540. My LF Fish is a log.

^^^ agree. If you are going to spend $540, just step up to the 6-900 level and get a top performing board. I think I'd call Brigade or doomswell or chaos and see whether they have any demos to move. Maybe soulcraft after that (much less likely to have something, I bet).

^^^ agree. If you are going to spend $540, just step up to the 6-900 level and get a top performing board. I think I'd call Brigade or doomswell or chaos and see whether they have any demos to move. Maybe soulcraft after that (much less likely to have something, I bet).

I scored my Zulu demo for 450 but yes you would be looking around 600 for a demo custom board or maybe 800-900 for a brand new one.

Either way, a much better buy IMO

Or he could get a nice, durable, versatile beginner board............you know.......since he just rode ropeless for the first time about 10 hours ago. :lol:

Now that's funny right there.....

Since I'm the skipper 98% of the time I don't get to ride much so I don't improve quickly, but being remotely athletic I pick things up fast. I don't like buying things twice however. I've already bought one log of a board and don't want to waste my money on something I'm going to out grow in a season. Want something I can grow into and that my friends and family can enjoy. The Doomswell boards are sic for sure!

Yeah Endo..... I mean do whatcha like. That's for sure. Just be advised: The more expensive/high performance foam core boards are harder to learn on. They're also extremely weight specific.......and fairly wave specific. And for a beginner: They're going to be very one dimensional. (you're going to be riding forward and back on the wave, and that's about it)

But it really all depends on what you're looking for I guess.

If down the line, easy, cruiser riding is what you're looking for: Almost all the foam core boards are a dream to ride (that way). Super smooth and easy down the line. No pumping required on a lot of them. An awesome feeling for sure.

But if you're looking for a board you can progress quickly on? Not happening IMO. Those boards are gonna ride YOU for quite a few seasons before you start learning how to control them and harness their capability.....

Anyway. Whichever direction you go: Good luck. Let us know whatcha end up with. :thumbup:

**EDIT: I just read that you want your friends and family to enjoy the board too. Dude. You'd better all weigh the same if you're buying a foam core, surf style. Jus sayin'.

This is prob why I won't do a custom board. Everyone doesn't weigh the same or have the same abilities. Many have either never surfed, or only get to surf once or twice a year when they go to the lake with us. Just looking for something a little faster that I can learn to carve on, and that some of my more experienced friends can enjoy.

Hmmmm.......I thought I "liked" that suggestion because I thought it could be a possibility. I've never ridden the board personally, so I didn't comment.

But as to the Tsunami: I didn't suggest it. You brought it up. I understand you think it's "heavy". Awesome. But I've watched too many people, of varying weights, learn to ride PROPERLY on it. Then slowly progress to a foam core, or something a bit more suited for the direction they want to take their riding. I'm just now outgrowing the Tsunami.................after 9 seasons. Half my crew, the half that doesn't get to ride as much? Yeah, they're still on it and perfectly happy.....and progressing (weight range 120-200) Yet I've seen about a bazillion Youtube videos of dudes riding $1000 boards...........that have zero idea of how to even take a proper turn on one. Why? Because they're on a board that's above their ability and the thing is riding THEM up and down the line over and over (and they probably have been on a board above their ability for quite some time). But they've been convinced they need to be on that board to progress? I just don't agree at all with that line of thinking.

And FWIW: I'm about 99% sure I'm getting a Victoria to replace my beloved Tsunami sometime very very very soon......

First....to my complete lack of knowledge, I thought the CWB Tsunami was a skim style board? Second it definitely seems there is some Love/Hate relationship with this board among The Crew. Its like the F-150 of boards!!!! (I do drive an F-150 BTW...., but my other car is a CTS-V). Price wise its def one that I wouldn't think too much about picking up as its only $3-400. 9 seasons of use would be stellar.