Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Towing Capability

Soon2BV

Brake caliper bolt falling out?? Wow, that's something to scare you.

Happened to me while towing the Bu a couple years ago. new tow vehicle, was a CPO purchase. Service tech must have forgotten to torque the caliper bolt, because two weeks after I bought it the passenger front one let loose. Extremely lucky it happened on an arterial street where I was already coming to a stop. Less than an hour before I was towing it down a mountain pass.

Destroyed that wheel and made an awful lot of noise. I still get angry thinking about it.

It really shouldn't take much of a hit unless your hitch, drawbar or pin has slop in it. Decent setup should fit tight in everything.

Unless you have a line to line fit with all 4 shear surfaces (2 side of the receiver, 2 sides of the bar and the pin), you have some movement in the system and you are working that connection every stop and start. The pin is seeing 100% of the trailer load on a very small surface area. Chance of failure is low, but cheap insurance. Take a look at one that is a few years old, you will see the markings.

Diesel Titan XD update:

So it looks like Nissan is going to miss their late 2015 release. Epic fail.

And there is a video on YouTube of a 2016 5.0L F150 vs the 5.0L Cummins Titan XD... Towing uphill 6% grade, both with 9,000lb loads.... The Ford 5.0 gasser pretty much beats the diesel !! Epic fail. The Ford 3.5 Eco would crush the Titan in a head to head tow off.

Seems the 5.0 Cummins is underpowered for a 7500lb rig.

Diesel Titan XD update:

So it looks like Nissan is going to miss their late 2015 release. Epic fail.

And there is a video on YouTube of a 2016 5.0L F150 vs the 5.0L Cummins Titan XD... Towing uphill 6% grade, both with 9,000lb loads.... The Ford 5.0 gasser pretty much beats the diesel !! Epic fail. The Ford 3.5 Eco would crush the Titan in a head to head tow off.

Seems the 5.0 Cummins is underpowered for a 7500lb rig.

Not surprised. Not surprised at all...

Yep if your max tow is a 19ft 3500lb DD this shouldn't be in your radar

Well, 20ft 4500lb v-drive. But folks who want more buy a dodge/chev/ford 3/4 ton with a diesel. Titan is a niche not something that most truck owners would even look at.

Edited by oldjeep

I was kind of interested in seeing how the Titan HD would come out. I like the drive train in our Armada, not the most advanced, but has enough power for me and is smooth. I figured they'd make the HD a pretty civil truck. Disappointed to hear it only avg'd 18mpg, that isn't very attractive for a diesel, even in an HD.

Just was skimming through the MotorTrend truck of the year article. The Nissan gets much worse MPG than the GM 5.3, and about the same as the GMC Denali with the 6.2, and the Denaili woud eat it's lunch in regards to performance. Looks like they missed the mark.

The 5.6 in the newer Infiniti is more in tune with the Denali 6.2. I don't know why the fuel economy in the Nissans are so bad, ours is deplorable, but it does have more go than a 5.3.

All 3 people who were really excited about the idea oof a titan tow rig must be really disappointed;)

I was one of the 3. Was excited about diesel torque with 1/2 ton ride. The initial numbers do seem pretty disappointing for sure, especially the weight. Thanks for pointing out how stupid I was.

Fast Lane Truck recently did a MPG test. 17 MPG on a 100 mile freeway run at 70 MPH. 11 MPG towing a 6000 (?) pound trailer. I am pretty sure my 3500 DRW would do about the same.

And it's MSRP was over $58,000.

Why would anyone buy this over a F250/RAM or Chevy 2500?

• Like 2

Fast Lane Truck recently did a MPG test. 17 MPG on a 100 mile freeway run at 70 MPH. 11 MPG towing a 6000 (?) pound trailer. I am pretty sure my 3500 DRW would do about the same.

And it's MSRP was over $58,000.

Why would anyone buy this over a F250/RAM or Chevy 2500?

Why would anyone buy it over a regular 1/2 ton? Any of the big 3 should be able to get more than 17MPG highway and still get around 11MPG towing only 6000 lbs.

ahopkins22LSV

Why would anyone buy it over a regular 1/2 ton? Any of the big 3 should be able to get more than 17MPG highway and still get around 11MPG towing only 6000 lbs.

Agreed! My commute is mostly highway between 60-75 mph, half divided with traffic lights and half expressway. I average 18mph in my 05 Silverado with driving it fairly nice. If I decide to get into the gas through the tank then it drops to 16.5-17. When I go up north with our boat we get 12-13 over a 465 mile round trip.

Yep big disappointment. 20+MPG unloaded, 13-14,000lb+ tow rating would have been a win. Cummins developed that engine for 8+ years? Fail. It cant even outperform the 3.5Eco or GM 6.2L offerings.

Agreed! My commute is mostly highway between 60-75 mph, half divided with traffic lights and half expressway. I average 18mph in my 05 Silverado with driving it fairly nice. If I decide to get into the gas through the tank then it drops to 16.5-17. When I go up north with our boat we get 12-13 over a 465 mile round trip.

Your TXI is probably several hundreds if not 1,000 plus pounds lighter to tow than the load they had.

Glad I bought my ecodiesel. It is more than sufficient for my needs and I get much better economy that this. I think that the summer numbers would have been at least 1-2MPG's better than this winter test put out.