Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

1996 Response LX - SURF + UPGRADES

cbeebe

Hey, I'm new to boating in general. I got a 1996 Response LX with the 320 monsoon in terrible condition. I've redone the teak swim grid, diamond polished it, replaced the side stickers, cleaned and cleaned the carped, vinyl etc. I also just upgraded the prop to the ACME 911, and have a Hydrophase on order. It's got a monster tower. It's time to enjoy it a bit!

I've purchased a 1000, 600 bow, and two 350 ballasts as a package deal.

My main goal is to surf. Anyone out there that has done so? How? I have read through many threads but none that show pics or who to actually surf behind this ski boat.

I tried various arrangements with the ballast bags, but the wave always seems soft(need to go 15 before I feel i'm going to stop sinking) and there is a huge amount of violent spray coming up in the middle of the wake. The wake always seems better on the starboard side which is my goofy side.

Anyone ugrade the gauges(my rpm jumps in circles), change the carpet, put a button on bow cover over it without cracking the fibreglass too bad.

I'm interested in ANYTHING on this boat or 1995-1998.

Thanks!

Edited by cbeebe

I have a 97. It's not really a good surf boat to say the least. I'll run a 750 on rear seat then lost it with another 750 on the side of the engine box. Now weight will need to be played with. I also run the wedge. I wakeboard more then I surf but Michigan border has a echelon he surfs he may be able to chime in a little

I have a snap on bow cover that we use a lot for cooler morning/evenings. I had it made new to match the upholstery & gel, a red cover, instead of the standard white one. No cracks in the gel so far in what I think are the factory installed snaps.

Our surf set up is like this:

Manual wedge down

750 in rear corner under seat (our rear seat can move up into a sun deck position)

400 in ski locker

1 person in bow on surf side

1 driver

1 person on engine cover, surf side

1 person on sun deck, surf side

1 rider

Works pretty well, we have a blast with it. I really wouldn't recommend more weight than that, it's pretty low to the waterline with that set up.

Hey guys thanks for the help. I tried playing around with the ballasts I have. I put;

-1100 under the rear seat, 350 on the surf side, 500 up front

-1450 on the back, 350 on the surf side, 400 up front

-just 1100 in the back

Out of these tries the 1100 in the back produced the nicest wave but none were in even close to surfable. I'm expecting to receive a Honu board from Soulcraft soon which should help as my current set up in old school and probably garbage.

I also just finished building a mock up surf gate and today I will attempt to instal a Hydrophase GPS, although I think i'll have to get my throttle body changed to accommodate it.

I'll let you guys know how I make out.

What wedge do you older malibu guys use?

Anyone know where to find new gauges to freshen things up?

Thanks!

Probably need more on surf side I have used a 750 under seat and a 750 surf side beside engine and weight up front with the manual wedge works ok

Ya I'll have to try that out. I made a surf gate last week so hopefully that will help. Unfortunately the closest dealer that will instal a wedge is a 7 hr drive away. Might have to make the long haul.

Ya I'll have to try that out. I made a surf gate last week so hopefully that will help. Unfortunately the closest dealer that will instal a wedge is a 7 hr drive away. Might have to make the long haul.

You do not need a dealer to install a wedge, it's 4 bolts, an easy DIY. We can send you plenty of pics!

• 2 weeks later...

Well the surf gate was a total bust on attempt number one. I only went about an inch above the swim platform but with how low the older Response I have sits there was a lot of water shooting over the top of it. It made for a messy wake and a tone of spray.. Will have to try and make it quite a bit taller than others have suggested. I've been looking around for a local dealer for the Wedge in Canada but that doesn't seem to exist so I might order one online. Only problem is that the only ones online I see only come with the wedge but not the mounting plate as its "required instal by dealer". Any suggestions? Did you have any of those pics handy Michigan Boarder?

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry, just took a look at this thread.

My boat is on a lift that barely has it out of the water on a slip in a small marina. As in the water is kinda nasty. Tough for me to get a pic for you without getting in the water....which I'm not going to do! Somebody that trailers should be able to get a pic. Maybe do a search for "wedge install" or something?

No worries Michigan Boarder I don't blame you! I wish I had a rig in the water like that!

I did finally get up surfing and have been having a tone of fun with it! I put 1700 pounds of ballast in the back surf side and 350 on the other side with one passenger. It sits pretty low for the response on that back corner so I have to be careful with waves but I'm happy to be surfing behind an old ski boat. I decided to order two of the lifeform 9 LED's for under the swim platform instead of the wedge for now as it's pretty hard to get a wedge shipped to my house. Maybe a winter project:)

• Like 1

I also got the soulcraft honu wakesurf board. It's an awesome board with the perfect balance between being fast and responsive, yet playful and lose. Feels a lot like a surf board. I would definitely recommend one to anyone in the market for a well made board. They allow you to do a custom paint job and your buying from one guy, not a big company which I like...