Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

mirror suggestions

Toddh

looking to replace my factory mirror. have a 2011 Wakesetter 23LSV with illusion tower. Any suggestions appreciated.

If you ski or wakeboard and want to see what's going on behind the boat without having to look up, don't waste your time with the tower mount. I've had the ptmedge140 with tower mount on a G3 tower the last two full seasons and just switched to a windshield mount - now hate myself for getting the tower mount in the first place and wasting the last two seasons using it. May look cool, but not near as user friendly or functional as the windshield mount. JMHO of course.

+1. I'm really happy with this set up. I am curious to see what the quality of the PTM140 is like. The case on the cipa is kind of cheap feeling but the field if view is really good, doesn't shake, looks ok. Not sure I could justify 4x the cost for a PTM unless the quality was night and day difference.

• Like 2

hands down: PTM Edge

http://www.ptmedge.com/ski-wake-systems

with the Samson mount:

https://samsonsports.com/shop/malibu-illusion-wakeboard-tower-mirror/

(check bakes, etc for the best prices)

I +1 on the PRM VR-140 Elite. Also you need the bracket. Its probably the hardest price to swallow ever. BUT now that I have it on my boat, I wouldn't have it any other way. 140 degree viewing angle. Its adjustable and is a beautiful piece of machined metal.

I love the PTM.

When I bought it, the Cipa Vision wasn't available. I paid about $240 for it. Compared to the $3500 SkySki, $1500 in racks, and all the other expensive gear I have, skimping on safety gear didn't even occur to me. Now that the Vision is available, it may be a viable option. But I haven't ever seen one. This is my 3rd mirror on this boat & it is by far the best quality view I've found.

20130606_204133_zpsx4fbnepo.jpg

Had the CIPA on my previous I/O. Its a nice mirror but the PTM 140 is just in a different league. Not sure about the mount. I have the G3.2 and factory tower mount. I prefer it over the windshield mount. Guess it just depends on what you are use to.

I'm trying to decide what route to go.

Windshield PTM

http://www.wakemakers.com/ptm-edge-vr140-pro-mirror.html with http://www.wakemakers.com/ptm-edge-zxr200-windshield-bracket.html

Nice Rack tower mount

http://www.nice-rack.com/mirror-arms-for-malibu-tower

I see some opinions in this thread, but hoping to bump it to see if there are more opinions between these two options.

I liked my tower mirror on my former boat, but I was bolster up 100% of the time on that boat and the new boat I am able to sit down in the seat. With that in mind and doing a tower arm will I be forever craning my neck up to look at it? I've never liked the look of a windshield mount, seems like it would be in the way, but what is functionally better?

I currently use a windshield mount then. I did not realize I did but yea, I don't like to look up much either. I could use to get the mirror further forward though.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought both of these from this thread and the mirror looks great but I installed it last night and cannot get the bracket to sit flush/tighten enough to make it secure. Any ideas? I'm wondering if I need a different mount or if I need some sort of "insert" in the clamp to find my windshield. Pretty bummed as it looks like it'll give a great view of behind the boat.

Anyone post pictures of how yours looks installed?

Thanks

I +1 on the PRM VR-140 Elite. Also you need the bracket. Its probably the hardest price to swallow ever. BUT now that I have it on my boat, I wouldn't have it any other way. 140 degree viewing angle. Its adjustable and is a beautiful piece of machined metal.

for $229 bucks? :crazy:

I bought both of these from this thread and the mirror looks great but I installed it last night and cannot get the bracket to sit flush/tighten enough to make it secure. Any ideas? I'm wondering if I need a different mount or if I need some sort of "insert" in the clamp to find my windshield. Pretty bummed as it looks like it'll give a great view of behind the boat.

Anyone post pictures of how yours looks installed?

Thanks

I can't get a picture now but I used the extra insert and wedged it in there. Works well. I called cipa and asked for another thick piece (they come with a thick and thin rubber insert) but it was still loose. I will try to get a picture tomorrow.

• Like 2

Yeah on the malibu frameless windshields the fit is less than ideal.

I homebrewed a solution by taking a thin piece of HDPE that I cut on my table saw (that factory sub box keeps on giving and giving!), and slipping a piece of bicycle inner tube over it as a shim. Tightens down just fine now.

I tried calling CIPA yesterday and they told me that they'd only send the extra rubber piece isellacuras references if I bought the mount directly from CIPA. Said I'd need to go back to my retailer for the part if I bought from someone else. I was all "c'mon man, you really think walmart is going to call you guys for me to get me that piece?" and the guy on the phone (Tyler, for those keeping score at home) very politely told me to pound sand.

Windsheild Mounted PTM 140 for me.

You're not even seeing the whole field of view here and still has GREAT visibility.

B28H2ZHh.jpg

Edited by boardjnky4

hmm? They sent me one, no questions asked. I bought mine from amazon. It didn't work the way I had planned but they were great with me.

I was pretty unpleasantly surprised too. I like the mirror, but don't think I'll recommend CIPA anymore just from that experience.

I bought my Cipa from Amazon, and used the extra rubber piece to clamp down to my frameless windshield. I was able to mount it on the starboard side windshield instead of the walk-through. Love it. Friends in the cove now want one after driving my boat (vs Mastercraft tower mount mirror).

BTW, that bracket was $57 on Amazon a couple of weeks ago.

Edited by superjet

I bought the mirror from walmart and the mount from Amazon. I took it apart and flipped it over and got it snug but still not perfect in my opinion. Post pictures of the extra insert you got and how it looks mounted if you could. Thanks

I have the PTM mount and the CIPA mirror and love the combo. Yes I did have to shim the mount, but not a big deal. If you do a search I previously posted pics of the shims. I used plastic for the shims and the included rubber spacers against the glass. I would highly recommend anti seize for the steel screws into the brass nuts on the mount.