Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How to store a G3 tower bimini

milehighbu

I am very excited to have just purchased a 2012 22 MXZ. It didn't come with a bimini so I purchased one from Bakes. It comes witha storage bag that has several clips and while I understand how to put it up I don't see an easy way to store the top when not in use. This is the standard Malibu bimini top. How/where do you guys store the top both when traveling and when not using the bimini on the lake? A picture would be great to see as well if you have one.

Looks like the smaller 1 foot pole stays attached to the tower. Can you travel down the highway with it stored like this?

Everytime I put it in the water.

I do get a wrap a bunjee cord around the top where the light is, but that is to keep it from rubbing a hole in the cover.

Yes, it all stays attached to the tower.

Edited by Deven

This is the day I bought it. It is actually pro wakeboarder Phil Soven's sponsorship boat from 2012. I figure if it was good enough for him it is good enough for me.

20150307_113404_zpsjlvaa87q.jpg

• Like 2

Maybe I missed it, but did you buy the Commercial Sewing/Apex or the Great Lakes Boat Top bimini? Or was it something else?

On my CS/Apex G3 bimini there are two plastic sleeve+clips on the 1' pole; I release the pole from the tower and it snaps on to the perimeter tube for transportation. I'll post pictures tomorrow after the sun comes up.

Here is the GL bimini, I did add two straps across the front bar to help secure it for towing. There are also two straps from GL that attach to the corner of the tower, have had no issues with towing with bimini on.

20150224_124912_zpsexzshb9z.jpg

anyone have a DIY for storing the bimini top in the bag i've tried it for the last 2 hours and cannot put it in the storage bag

Check out the pics in my boat house. Bimini is stored in all of them.

Deven, your short vertical support posts don't appear to be straight up and down like most of the bimini's Ive seen. Hard to see in your pictures though but can you confirm that? Also, are those short supports adjustable in height?

I have a bimini that doesn't fold forward (yes, stupid design) but I'm about to make a mod to it so it stows like yours. Your bimini appears to be the closest to what I have. Most others either fold with the short post disconnected (newer model) or fold and have the short post still connected but that post is straight up and down.

Thanks...

Deven,

Thanks for the pics. However, it is hard to tell from the pic exactly how your store the bimini top. Would you perhaps be willing to take a couple of close up pics that shows a bit better how you store your top for tow/travel mode?

Nice boat by the way!

Deven, your short vertical support posts don't appear to be straight up and down like most of the bimini's Ive seen. Hard to see in your pictures though but can you confirm that? Also, are those short supports adjustable in height?

I have a bimini that doesn't fold forward (yes, stupid design) but I'm about to make a mod to it so it stows like yours. Your bimini appears to be the closest to what I have. Most others either fold with the short post disconnected (newer model) or fold and have the short post still connected but that post is straight up and down.

Thanks...

The supports are slightly off vertical because of the REV10 mounts. Yes they are adjustable.

The supports are slightly off vertical because of the REV10 mounts. Yes they are adjustable.

Thanks. I plan to make some cuts on mine this weekend. Hopefully all goes well

• 4 years later...

Here are some closeup pics for storing the bakes bimini on a 2014 VTX... I had a hard time figuring it out until I found this post. 

bimini2.jpg.a48ad4966a400b93be7ce4cb2f15f0c8.jpgbimini1.jpg.5b5295877a750bc8dae4a7fd7cf1764b.jpg

• Like 2
  • 2 years later...
On 6/12/2015 at 11:20 AM, Deven said:

Check out the pics in my boat house. Bimini is stored in all of them.

i just got a vtx 2013 and this is a huge help as i was struggling to figure out how to store this on the tower.... I will give this a try...