Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Loose windshield

I was washing the windshield on my 2000 Response LX yesterday and the drivers side is comeing loose from the deck where it meets the opening part. I didn't take the time to check out what I needed to do to fix it as I was in a hurry at the time.

Anyone got any advice? Do I turn into an acrobat and go at it from underneath or is this something that you pull that black rubber strip out for and get at it from above?

I was washing the windshield on my 2000 Response LX yesterday and the drivers side is comeing loose from the deck where it meets the opening part. I didn't take the time to check out what I needed to do to fix it as I was in a hurry at the time.

Anyone got any advice? Do I turn into an acrobat and go at it from underneath or is this something that you pull that black rubber strip out for and get at it from above?

North, it's pretty easy actually. Malibu only screwed the windshield down to the deck so they work loose. All you need to do is pull the rubber strip out of the bottom edge of the frame. From there you can see the screws. I pulled most of the screws out and drilled all the way through and through bolted the windshield down. You may only need to bolt it in a couple places to get the windshield secure. After you have everything tightened down, put the rubber strip back into the frame and you're done.

Both - the windshield is attached via bolts & screws (all found under the rubber strip). Just pop open the rubber strip, and tighten down the screws. for the bolts (my SLXI has 3 on each side), you need to get underneath to tighten.

Both - the windshield is attached via bolts & screws (all found under the rubber strip). Just pop open the rubber strip, and tighten down the screws. for the bolts (my SLXI has 3 on each side), you need to get underneath to tighten.

I didn't have one bolt in mine, until I put them in there. I pulled the windshield off to replace the dash speakers and discovered this. So when I put the windshield back down I added a couple bolts on each side.

I didn't have one bolt in mine, until I put them in there. I pulled the windshield off to replace the dash speakers and discovered this. So when I put the windshield back down I added a couple bolts on each side.

I think we posted about the same time...I like the idea of replacing all of the screws with bolts - I think it's probably easier to maintain and possibly a little safer on the gelcoat if you have to take the windshield off again.

Thanks guys, I think I will try re-tightening the screws and see if it lasts thru the summer. Pretty sad when a boat with 144 hours on the water has the windshield comeing loose. Either way, I'll do the more permanent fix with some bolts and mild lock-tite this fall.

Another sad thing about my windshield. When I had a bimini installed this spring we put the mounting brackets right up against the windshield frame. On one side there was plenty of flat surface to mount on. The other side, that flat area was about a quarter inch smaller, the windshield is mounted off center. Had to grind about 3/16ths off the stainless bracket to make it fit there. If I can get up under that area I might replace the bimini mount screws with bolts too.

I too took my windshield off to do the speaker thing.. I think I had 3 machine screws with nuts and the rest just tapping screws. I didn't realize some were bolts under I snapped them off. Oops.... The idea of adding more bolted screws is a good idea if you should come loose again.

I've done a few in my day. Make sure you have a helper.....it goes much easier. I also wouldn't use any Lock-tite since this may really lock up the screws and make them impossible to remove if you need to repair the windshield down the road.

Gonorth: Don't be bummed about your windsheld. The tops of all boats and windshields are never perfect. I have seen them off as much as 2"!!!

Wow, accessories off by 2", must be on a mastercraft or moomba. Crazy.gif

Lock tite comes in several grades (colors) on how hard they hold. I was gonna use a fairly mild one for that very reason. Just enough hold to keep vibration from turning it. Maybe a star washer or locking/double nut would serve this purpose better.