Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

First trip to Powell in the my Malibu!

crayfd

Just finished my first trip to Lake Powell in my new to me '12 23LSV! I have been to Powell for many years, 2 or 3 times a year, so not new to the lake. It was a great trip and everything went well. We usually stay on a houseboat, but this time we camped. We got down there Saturday just in time to watch some of the big storms roll in. I had to be the bad guy and tell all 20 family members that we were going to wait a couple hours for the weather to clear (good decision come to find out). I got this boat in Nov and have been on a local lake a handful of times for a few hours at a time.

I have a couple questions:

1) Is it normal for the engine compartment to get fairly warm, borderline hot? My engine temp never got above 160, typically 156ish.

2) We found out that if it rains all night the glove box will fill up with water.... Normal?

Things I learned...

1 - No matter how many times you tell an IO driver how to turn around when surfing to get the rider they always have to find out the hard way by taking one over the bow. hahah...

Here are the only pics of the boat on the water. Our camera was on our boat so I need to wait for the family's pictures for more pictures of the Malibu.

_DSC0210_zpsvvjcti82.jpg

_DSC0209_zpsaok6nxyb.jpg

Yes, the engine compartment will get borderline hot, ours does too. Not sure on the glove box since I've never left a boat with a frameless windshield out in the rain.

I have a couple questions:

1) Is it normal for the engine compartment to get fairly warm, borderline hot? My engine temp never got above 160, typically 156ish.

2) We found out that if it rains all night the glove box will fill up with water.... Normal?

1. Yes. It will get pretty warm in there. I mean, 160* isn't exactly "chilled champagne" temps lol - the exhaust manifolds will get hot enough that you can touch them, but it's certainly not some place you'd leave your hand for very long. It will get warm when it's closed up.

2. I'm not familir with the 12's, but no... I wouldn't think that's normal. My 06 is flat, but it has a lip that the lid closes down over, so no it would have to run like a river on the dash in order to get in there. Then again - I dont' know about the 12 design though, so I'll have to let others answer.

I'm going to disagree about the glove box. Water getting in that generation glove box is a known issue. There is no "raised" lip to prevent water running into the glove box. The vented windshield doesn't help either.

Nice pics - one question though - Surfing behind an I/O. Figured that was too dangerous to attempt, too close to the prop. Is the other boat in the picture the one you are talking about?

Nice pics - one question though - Surfing behind an I/O. Figured that was too dangerous to attempt, too close to the prop. Is the other boat in the picture the one you are talking about?

Not surfing behind the IO, The owner of the IO was driving my boat for the first time. I told him to go into neutral with slight turn to the left after I fell and let the wave push it around, then put it back into gear and finish the turn and come get me. He did a small power turn and went straight at the wave. Those in front got wet, lol.

Ah...got it, had me afraid for you for a moment! Can't wait to see the rest of the pics.

Yeah, I had to read what he wrote twice to get it. All I had in my head the first time were visions of those pics of the guy that got ate up by an I/O and had to have his arm pieced back together.

Our 2013 VTX had serious gaps between the glovebox cover and dash. You could see light in the gaps in several areas looking from inside the glovebox. I sealed it with silicone from inside (some very wide beads of silicone were required). I did that when the boat was new so it never had a chance to leak. The only issue I see is it would be impossible to remove the top cover without damaging the vinyl where the top piece sits on the dash. Hopefully we will never have to do that. I think the door will leak a little too, we have everything that water will damage in ziplock bags. I also keep spare zip locks for anyone that want to put their cellphones in the glovebox. Pretty bad that they couldn't design a better way to keep water out, after all this is a boat...

Glove boxes definitely not sealed.

Will definitely leak . I drilled holes in the bottom of the box in my 06 VLX and in the rubber organizer tray that set in the bottom. That way, water that got in was able to run back out. It might get some towels wet underneath but at least the phones would not be submerged. Had that happen only once before learning my lesson.(Amps were out of harms way off to the side) I also put silicone dam around the exterior of box and a tube to try to drain to bilge. It helped but did not stop 100%.

Was proactive on my 12 VLX, did all of the above to it before it ever got wet. Malibu does not even try to design them to be sealed, just look and you can tell. Bad move on their part.

Edited by dalt1

How is water getting in your glovebox? My 2011 doesn't have that issue.

Ever been caught in down pour for extended time? Never tested my 12 before modding it so it has never got wet inside. But guaranteed it would without modifications. No seals on door at all, anything hitting dash will surely get under lid.

I took a good sized roller over the bow and water got in my glove box and took out an iphone. Bad design in my opinion.

Wow! That must of been some roller

Ever been caught in down pour for extended time? Never tested my 12 before modding it so it has never got wet inside. But guaranteed it would without modifications. No seals on door at all, anything hitting dash will surely get under lid.

Never been caught in a torrential pour. Knock on wood