Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Which brand?

triscadek

Time to go ahead and buy my own wakeboard instead of borrowing one. I've been riding a nice (to me) hyperlite so I'm kinda privy toward them. What's the difference between hyperlite, Ronix, Liquid Force etc? Dodge, Ford and Chevy (all same) or Kia, Toyota, Ferrari?

I've been looking at the Hyperlite State 2.0 for the toe side edge or the Hyperlite baseline.

I've been boarding since last year and this year finally got to where I can jump decent (thanks to a V drive finally) and finally landed my first wake to wake at 70' this last weekend so I guess I'm beginner/intermediate. No plans on flips etc but maybe some big air, supermans and some board grab type of stuff... Thanks

Edited by triscadek

I ride a state 2.0 and I love it! My wife rides it occasionally and has no complaints either. The board has good pop and feels pretty good on both toe side and heel side edges. From what you said, we are about the same level, you will like that board!

The asymmetrical shape for toeside is more of a placebo then actually aiding you if you ask me. Not that it will hinder you or anything, but just getting your body positron right and confidence will take you much further then board design will take you. Beside that I like all the brands you mentioned. I used to hate hyperlite's bindings, but I don't think I've tried any newer then 07 so I'm sure they've improved a ton

Edited by dfarhood

Dodge, Ford and Chevy (all the same caliber). If you can find somewhere that will allow you to demo some boards that would be a good idea. Each brand will have a range of different boards.

I ride a liquid force watson hybrid. It is a looser board that has a predictable pop.

It sounds to me like you need to ride some more boards so you will know what you like and don't like. As far as brands, that is an open-ended question that will never be resolved. I personally ride Slingshot because of the softer landings of the flex board. Since you have a preference to Hyperlite, you should check out the Murray or the Marek. They may feel a little different to you at first but you will grow into them.

I ride a Hyperlite Murray. I really like it. To answer the question...It is a Ford, CHevy, Dodge thing. You won't make a bad decision on any board. I will add as an aside that of all my riding partners the Liquid Force boards have broken more than any other brand. But I feel like that may be the riders and not the board's fault. One of the rides cable WAY more than boat on the same board.

Might find out what rocker the board you were riding has. If you like that type of rocker, that might narrow down your choices. Personally, I've never liked 3-stage rockers.

Might find out what rocker the board you were riding has. If you like that type of rocker, that might narrow down your choices. Personally, I've never liked 3-stage rockers.

Agree with AJ here. Especially for beginners. I would recommend a continuous rocker. You'll get a more predictable pop, and more glide speed so you can ride longer. The better you get you'll start to desire different features, and that will help guide you into your next board.

I wouldn't waste your money on those house boards like the State or the Vault, etc... You will likely outgrow it pretty quick and they are too heavy. Spend a little extra and get a board like the code 22 or something that is really good for beginners and advanced. They are not really harder to ride and they are soooo much better.

Thanks everyone for their input!

This hyperlite now has a continuous rocker. It's mainly white with some blue in it. I have yet to see it on the net so it's definitely several years old but still "up to date". It's nothing extreme being that I know she wouldn't drop $600 on one.

I was kinda giving thought to a more advanced board to save money in the long run but the States can be had for like $349 with bindings ?????? and $550-650 is a hard pill to swallow for a board, to me anyway. However, I'm sure it would feel amazing on the water. I may just have to get drunk one night and order one ???

The only issue I really have is getting my head to let me hit the wake at FULL speed. I learned quickly with a HARD faceplant that me and port toe side jumps don't mix too well. Starboard heel sides are where it's at for me, BUT I have a hard time getting the same speed out on starboard toe side to set up for the jump as I can port heel side. I just can't seem to get out as far... Idk. Practice makes perfect lol.

Another reason for the State and baseline is I LOVE the neon haha

Edited by triscadek

I ride a Ronix Ibex. The truck analogy is pretty accurate, but the rocker type and layup (composition) of the board determine how it will ride and pop off the wake. Take your time, do your homework, and ride as many boards as possible. I bought an "advanced" board as a beginner and I think it was a good decision. My board has a hybrid rocker, and if I were to get another board, I would get a 3 stage rocker because I love airing out as high and far into the flats as possible. But you need to generate more speed from yourself and not with the board.

Toeside wake jumps are tricky to learn. Take baby steps trying to come in faster with the same pop and go further and further until you air over the wake. I always have the handle right on my left hip through the whole process.

The rule of thumb that I was tought: the closer the handle is to your groin, the harder it is to fall due to the pull "coming" from your center of gravity. This thought has always worked well for me while skiing/barefooting/wakeboarding.

Good to know. When I went down toeside the whole front of the board (my left) went down in the drink. She was game over lol. ?

I'd like to try boards out but in Tulsa we don't have anywhere that sells them that I know of except for Sun & Ski Sports and they don't have a whole lot to choose from but they have the biggest selection. Academy has some but they're all cheap.

I wouldn't get caught up on buying a "high end" board as an investment in the future. Boards wear out, get soft, and lose there pop. Being a a beginner, stay with a continuous rocker in the appropriate size. That state would be fine. Your skill level will not be advanced enouh to know what you like right now. Just stay away from an aggressive rocker until you advance. My .02