Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Who's responsible for sinking my boat?

Stick

I have to say dealer is at fault. Just because he had the ability to check does not mean he was required to.

If he had this service done to prepare for long term storage. Long term 6 days, 6 months, or 6 years. It should have been done properly.

Would anyone say he was responsible IF he was deployed overseas for 2 years?

Granted most would atleast pop the cover, but you should not be required to.

^^^ proving that dealer is at fault after passage of time is the problem.

And winterization would be different than planning for a six year layup.

And the cover leaking is not the dealers fault.

• Like 3

My malibu reupholstery quote came to 1800. Thats the best solution for saving your boats interior. 2 years under water is tooooo long for padded upholstery,in my opinion.

Preparing a boat for long storage time has nothing, Nothing!!!! to do with putting a cover on and walking away. Its just not sufficient for out door storage. JMHO

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

So here is a pic I saved in my files for those few who think that you should leave the plug in during the winter. This person left the plug in and lots of rain got under the cover. Then the sun came out and created a nice little biosphere under the cover. Here is what the owner found come springtime:

boatfullowater_zps75ee9f1d.jpg

WOW! How did I miss this thread? If my boat is left outside during the rain for any reason I pull the cover, open everything up and wipe everything down when the sun comes out. You will still get mold leaving a boat outside under a cover for 2 years with the plugs out. It is mandatory to pull the cover and let the boat dry every week or two when leaving it outside.

• Like 1

Primary fault, IMHO, is with the dealer. If indeed they handed you paperwork specifically stating the drain plug was out. And I would assume that it is SOP to leave it out for a boat that is winterized on a trailer. I would assume that it is reasonable to believe there would be people in the OP's position who would not go back to the lakehouse while the water level was so low. In that case, the owner would not have the ability to check on the boat.

Agree with those who suggest involving the insurance company. If it is a good, they'll make you whole and then pursue a settlement with the dealer.

WOW! How did I miss this thread? If my boat is left outside during the rain for any reason I pull the cover, open everything up and wipe everything down when the sun comes out. You will still get mold leaving a boat outside under a cover for 2 years with the plugs out. It is mandatory to pull the cover and let the boat dry every week or two when leaving it outside.

I think most modern covers breathe pretty well and you are less likely to get mold than say 10+ years ago. I would put money down that you could put an Evo cover on your boat and come back in 2 years and find it dry and mold free.

I think most modern covers breathe pretty well and you are less likely to get mold than say 10+ years ago. I would put money down that you could put an Evo cover on your boat and come back in 2 years and find it dry and mold free.

Have you seen one of those Sharkskin covers? Especially before they started putting the plastic vents on them. :Doh:

• 2 weeks later...

The cover was a major contributor to the problem and if it was indeed watertight, nothing would have happened. As others a

Said, even with plug out, water will be trapped and humidity will cause havoc under the cover. I even use a dehumidifier product under the cover of our boat which is stored in a covered warehouse to prevent humidity in the air from corroding and causing mold.

As others will say, the time lapse and inability to prove that you didn't put the plug back in will cause you likely to be unsuccessful in pursuing a judgement against the dealership.

The cover was a major contributor to the problem and if it was indeed watertight, nothing would have happened. As others a

Said, even with plug out, water will be trapped and humidity will cause havoc under the cover. I even use a dehumidifier product under the cover of our boat which is stored in a covered warehouse to prevent humidity in the air from corroding and causing mold.

As others will say, the time lapse and inability to prove that you didn't put the plug back in will cause you likely to be unsuccessful in pursuing a judgement against the dealership.

You should move to the desert. We don't have ANY of these moisture issues you speak of. When I lived in Seattle, I used those Dr-z-air dehumidifiers regularly. Not needed at all in eastern WA.

You should move to the desert. We don't have ANY of these moisture issues you speak of. When I lived in Seattle, I used those Dr-z-air dehumidifiers regularly. Not needed at all in eastern WA.

I am just moving back to Northern California as I speak (from Houston) so know what you mean!