Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Who's responsible for sinking my boat?

Stick

I'll admit that I am one of those guys who gets his dealer to do the maintenance. Partially cause I don't have the time and partially cause if there's a warranty claim, I don't want Malibu to say "you didn't do xyz, claim denied". Having said that, after the service, and prior to launching for the first time, I checked to make sure there was oil in the engine, the filter was on tight and there was oil in both the tranny and V-drive. Then when I launched for the first time this year, I sat on the ramp(no it wasn't busy, I'm not "that guy" in the other thread) started the boat and let it run for a few mins while I checked everything to make sure there were no leaks and the dealer did what he said he did.

To the Op, at the end of the day, it's your boat, it's your fault. You should have checked it more often. However, it might have been partially the dealers fault(had you caught it sooner), but you can't prove it. I'd get it fixed under insurance and move on...lesson learned

Here's a good analogy. You get a sweet new paint job on your car. The painter balls and tells you it's done. You go to pick it up.

Now do you just pay for it, hop in your car and drive off or do you walk around and inspect it, making sure there are no swirl marks or overspray?

I like to double check everything a mechanic does, regardless how simple it was. Not only to make sure everything is finished, but also to make sure they didn't ruin anything else in the process. I had my flex plate replaced by the dealer, found an engine mount bolt still loose btw, but I also took the time to remove the interior myself and store it at home to keep it clean and safe. Otherwise it all would have been sitting on the shop floor somewhere that might have had oil on it or kicked by someone walking by.

• Like 2

Its not who does the service on anything its more about being somewhat observant. I do most all my work but even with that if I launch for the first time every year I open my dog house and idle for some time. I look over everything, no oil or water leaks. No water interring the boat. No odd sounds.

I don't change the oil in my vehicles just because I don't want to deal with used oil. Still once its done I do check oil level and I check the area I am parked in for any oil leaking. I go up to our cabin and I look in on the snowmobile trailer and check the sleds. I don't know if its my background or just some common sense I like and do look at things around me. I always look over my large investments just to be sure nothing is going very wrong!

The one thing I am not afraid of is taking credit for something I secured up. Always tried to get my workers at work to step up if they messed up. In the long run it pays off.

What we need here is a good Whipping Post thread, where people can come to confess things about themselves and then get endlessly whipped for it.

Anybody have anything for us? We'll be gentle, I promise.

To the community - I understand your deep devotion to your boat and the responsibility you feel toward it. I feel the same way. However, lets all try to be a little nicer to a guy we know is having a rough day. There is no need to repeatedly tell him he's a bad owner because he doesn't kiss and softly caress his boat each night before he goes to bed.

Wait, you mean some people DON'T DO THIS?! :dontknow:

Just don't tell the agent it was neglected. You looked under the cover 6 months ago, it was dry, all this rain, cut you check.

I agree, tell the agent you had looked under just before all the rain and you hadn't looked under till now because................

I would try Mr. Clean Magic Erasers on cleaning the vinyl.

Get a detail shop to clean your carpets.

Be nice to the shop and they may help you sort out the mechanical reasonably priced. Even consider going in and apologizing for your initial visit " sorry man I was a little heated last time in, what happened to the boat just had me a little frazzled " being nice will go a lot farther than ripping them a new a**hole.

Good Luck

Update, here's where we stand.

Insurance agent says he feels I have a solid claim. $1000 deductible. Would need to have adjuster go to dealership to check it out.

Dealership says 2 dead batteries (were at end of lifespan anyway), leaking raw water pump (had changed the impeller before storing but this is at the opposite end), needs fuel pump because fuel sat in it and gummed it up over last 1 1/2 years and fuel additive in tank doesn't help that. Starter and alternator currently work, but there's no confidence in them. Dealer says they may work 1 week, 1 month, or 5 years but they are electronic and were underwater for an unspecified period of time. I am leaning to replacing them at a slight discount from the dealer as I don't enjoy getting towed in while out with family and friends an hour down the lake.

So the insurance would only cover the starter and alternator which per the dealer are currently working so they wouldn't even cover that. The other items that need to be repaired aren't due to water damage. The intense mold on the seats can't be proven if or how much would be there without the boat filling up with water so that wouldn't be covered.

It looks like I'm out a few grand to repair some normal maintenance items and replace currently working items because I don't trust them after being submerged. I'm still concerned with the other little things that will show up like my speakers, amp wiring, steering cables, etc that might have issues. The seats are now my biggest concern as they were in perfect shape for a 2001 boat. I'll try some of the suggestions, sun, warm pressure washer, magic eraser, and see what happens.

Good luck! To save some $$ you might consider getting your own starter and alternator and replace yourself. Http://Dbelectrical.com is a good source for those parts - make sure to get the marine version.

Also makes sure the magic eraser is a last resort, it is a sanding sponge and does bad things to vinyl.

Edited by oldjeep

Next time you put her to bead for an extended time add a fuel preservative in and run the boat for 15 minuets or more then the pump will be covered also.

Good luck. If you are going to keep her outside ether reseal the cover or get a new one. Sure don't want to get her pretty again and have the same issue all over.

I always put a fuel adaptive ( preservative) in the last outing so it gets time running through the entire system.

The starter and alternator are very easy to replace, DIY on those for sure.

My money is on the other guys opinion that the mold will disappear with the sunlight. Another tip is you can try Chlorox Clean-up, which has diluted bleach in it, but just make sure to rinse profusely on the seams. I've done that in those tight spots where cushions meet and have not had any issues.

So here is a pic I saved in my files for those few who think that you should leave the plug in during the winter. This person left the plug in and lots of rain got under the cover. Then the sun came out and created a nice little biosphere under the cover. Here is what the owner found come springtime:

boatfullowater_zps75ee9f1d.jpg

So here is a pic I saved in my files for those few who think that you should leave the plug in during the winter. This person left the plug in and lots of rain got under the cover. Then the sun came out and created a nice little biosphere under the cover. Here is what the owner found come springtime:

boatfullowater_zps75ee9f1d.jpg

That water looks as black as oil!! Were they able to get it clean or did they have to replace the upholstery?

Looong time ago, 20+ years, I let my roommate store my boat at his work. It was supposed to be deep in a storage shed. I covered it up and sent him on his way. Come spring he brings my boat back and it' looks about like the pics above minus standing water. Come to find out it was covered but open to elements on two sides. This is is the rainy NW, BTW. I was able to clean & dry the moldy seats up using clorox cleaner and a ton of elbow grease. You would have never known except two small spots that faded away after being in the sun. I learned my lesson after that and am still friends with him. My bad for not checking on it & now I only store inside and keep dryers in my boats..............................Long story short is "s*** wipes up" Don't let it ruin your day.............

That water looks as black as oil!! Were they able to get it clean or did they have to replace the upholstery?

I am not sure of the final outcome. The water looks more black than it really is. If you look carefully in the bow, you can see the Tige logo on the carpet and you can see through the water to the bow. The water is bad, but not dark as oil.

This is a tough thread to read through. Very sad, especially for a 2001 Sunsetter VLX. I had one of those. Great boat.

Hope you can get it right and be back on the water soon.