Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2006 LSV Power Wedge Problem

My power wedge will deploy but it is slow moving down and at times I cannot get it to fully retract into the "position". It retracts 2/3's of the way and stops. The wedge gauge hasn't been correct in years but close.

Is it time for new actuators, control module, both? There is no Malibu dealership within a close distance so I typically do the work myself. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Replaced both of my actuators late last summer with 650 hours on them after a season and a half. Most likely the actuators as the seals go bad and water gets in them. Control board is most likely okay. Try actuators first. Make sure you get the ones designed for your year. I understand there are 2 different versions... Can't remember the changeover date, but you most likely have the older version. Bakes has both versions and has very good instructions on how to replace. Did mine in about an hour. Good luck and good safe boating! Here is bakes link to the actuators. Call them and ask for Paul if you have any questions.

http://www.bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=1636

Edited by BlackBluMalibu

They don't make them for our older system. We have the 3 lobe, and they only manufacture the 5 love now. Which is bulls... If you ask me. There are soooo many of these old actuators out there on older boats that are about to start going bad.

Supposedly you can upgrade to the 5 lobe more easily on our year because we don't have a control box, but I haven't seen any forum members speak up about successfully doing it.

Btw - just read on that bakes page for you to call for a "retrofit kit" - whatever that means. :/

Call em up and ask, then let us know what they say. Lol

I have spoken with Lenco along with several others including Malibu. It appears that for the 2006 model you can swap out the 3 lobe actuators with the 5 lobe actuators without the need to update the Lenco box. In essence the actuators just extend/retract at a higher speed and there is a possibility that the gauge will not register correctly without the new Lenco box. There is no adjustment to my gauge system through the computer system therefore as long as it works we should be fine. The gauge never registered accurately to begin with. Actuators have been ordered and I will update when they are installed.

I have spoken with Lenco along with several others including Malibu. It appears that for the 2006 model you can swap out the 3 lobe actuators with the 5 lobe actuators without the need to update the Lenco box. In essence the actuators just extend/retract at a higher speed and there is a possibility that the gauge will not register correctly without the new Lenco box. There is no adjustment to my gauge system through the computer system therefore as long as it works we should be fine. The gauge never registered accurately to begin with. Actuators have been ordered and I will update when they are installed.

Definitely looking forward to seeing how this turns out for you.

I'm starting to have wedge issues myself.

I'll be following this thread as I don't use my wedge because of issues. If anyone figures out how to disable the "wedge is moving up" message let me know. It goes off constantly when I try to use the wedge even though it isn't moving. Gauge is floaty also. I think the good news is that the 5 lobe ones are cheaper.

There are some of the old ones still out there if you can find them.

http://www.amazon.com/LENCO-STROKE-EXTREME-DUTY-ACTUATOR/dp/B00P0DJZ0I

I'll be following this thread as I don't use my wedge because of issues. If anyone figures out how to disable the "wedge is moving up" message let me know. It goes off constantly when I try to use the wedge even though it isn't moving. Gauge is floaty also.

That is exactly the same issue I'm having.

I'm going to try calibrating it this weekend and see if that helps.

Anyone have parts numbers for the "little black box" under the dash, and the sensor in the rear, in case we need to replace them?

Probably good to have that info on hand.

I'll see if I can get that part # this weekend. The box on mine says programmed and has a date and initials on it. I wonder if it can be purchased without going to the dealer.

I spoke with a member that was able to find the part number on Google and get it for about $150 less than bakes.

bakes wanted $550, he found it for $400 and it fixed his issue.

I'll definitely keep you guys up to date after I get up there this weekend and calibrate it.

Does anyone know anything about the "sensor" at the rear, in case that needs to be replaced? Because my gauge has always reset itself to "down" when I swap batteries. Meaning I have to always put the wedge "up" (even though it's already up - I have to press the "up" button until the needle on the gauge goes back over to "up")

Ok. Verdict is in. Replaced actuators only without replacing the lento box. Installed new actuators with gauge in up position and wedge in up position. Everything works just as it did prior to the actuators going out. Only issue is the new actuators don't extend wedge completely to a 90 degree angle as before-more like 80 degree angle now. Guage, wedge moving up warning signal, wedge moving down without boat in motion-everything is working like new and with only replacing actuators.

There's the verdict on this 2006 LSV.

Nice! Thanks for the heads up.

I was able to calibrate the wedge.

I talked to Andrew at Bakes, and he said that there are no sensors on the rear for the 06, and there is no calibration screen.

To calibrate it, you just need to move it all the way up, all the way down, all the way up, all the way down and just cycle it fully like that several times. I did it about 10, and it solved my issues.

He said that it's common to have to do that after the power has been off for a while (like after the off season.)

I didn't know it would take that many times up and down to calibrate. I usually lose interest in it after 2 or 3 times. I'll def try this before throwing any money at it. I guess if I get it working I should leave one of my batteries on so I don't have to do it every time?

It takes having the batteries off for quite a while. I can skip several weeks or a month and not worry with it. But if it's off for 6 months straight, that would make a difference.

But yeah, it was a good 4-5 times cycling it through before it started finally acting normal. I did it another 4-5 times for good measure. But it cleared up a lot of the gauge issues and the really slow, sluggish movement of the actuators. Just make sure you're idling, at least 2-3mph, so the wedge system reacts. Have a little patience, it took a good bit for my wedge to get all the way down, and read all the way down, and then back up, the first time or two. I was sitting there thinking "no way this is going to work."

But I kept at it and lo and behold..... it worked. lol

I spoke with a member that was able to find the part number on Google and get it for about $150 less than bakes.

bakes wanted $550, he found it for $400 and it fixed his issue.

I'll definitely keep you guys up to date after I get up there this weekend and calibrate it.

Does anyone know anything about the "sensor" at the rear, in case that needs to be replaced? Because my gauge has always reset itself to "down" when I swap batteries. Meaning I have to always put the wedge "up" (even though it's already up - I have to press the "up" button until the needle on the gauge goes back over to "up")

Did he find the part number for the actual control box under the dash? I think mine is smoked (opened it up and a corner of the control board looks burned out).

Do you guys know what the easiest way to test the actuators is? (I.E. put 24v to some pins somewhere?) I'd like to confirm that my actuators are still functioning and that its the control box that is bad...... (My wedge doesn't currently work)

This is what he said to me:

"They had me sweep the gauges to make sure that worked first. Then had to see if the wedge wire harness for the control box had a purple wire. There are 15 wires and a blank and one will be purple. Small box under the steering column. My old box was a lenco 30047-004d and bakes said they could still get them."

Call Bakes and ask for Andrew. 425.392.7599 He was super knowledgeable and helpful when I called up there. I bet he'll be able to get you the right part based on your year/model.

Edited by ibelonginprison