Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Learning to ride goofy on a wakeboard

2014AXIST22

I have been riding a wakeboard for 3 years now. I can easily jump wake to wake at 70 off and 21 mph. I get plenty of air as is, and have no problems jumping. My problem is when I try to do spins..... I can not ride goofy footed (my right foot forward). I can halfway land and then dig the nose in on a 180.

All that said...... Is learning to ride the opposite foot forward like learning to wakeboard all over again? Should I ride goofy for a week or so and get the feel of it? Open to any and all suggestions.

Riding switch, just get up and do it. Start switch. There are no shortcuts, just have to do it and get use to it.

Start small on jumps. You don't have to go wake to wake. Start inside the wake and practice jumping out of the wake and doing a 180, get the feel first. Then jump back into the wake and do a 180. Once you feel comfortable, then start trying to go wake to wake.

I know, not as cool, but getting a good foundation first and feeling comfortable will take you a lot farther.

• Like 3

Riding switch, just get up and do it. Start switch. There are no shortcuts, just have to do it and get use to it.

Start small on jumps. You don't have to go wake to wake. Start inside the wake and practice jumping out of the wake and doing a 180, get the feel first. Then jump back into the wake and do a 180. Once you feel comfortable, then start trying to go wake to wake.

I know, not as cool, but getting a good foundation first and feeling comfortable will take you a lot farther.

Agreed. I learned to do 180's by starting inside the wake and doing an ollie 180 out. I probably did 25 before trying the wake to wake 180. I taught someone this year how to do it the same way and they nailed the wake to wake the first try. Its all about learning to land on your toes and keep that edge. Most people are scared of taking a digger and stay on their heels when landing, this makes them slip out on their butt. Once you take it wake to wake.... Pop first, handle to trailing hip, spin, then stay over your toes on the landing. Just take practice and time. Go out there one afternoon and tell yourself you arent going to do anything but ride switch and practice 180's. Youll get it.

• Like 2

It feels funny because you have been riding regular for 3 years, and it's easy now, Imagine if you has started to get up switch every other time when you learned...you'd be as comfortable now switch as you are normal. Now you have just got to start over from the other direction. It will not take as long to learn, now that you are further along the learning curve. Just make yourself do it. Start that way, and ride for a while, then finish the set riding regular, doing the fun stuff you have learned so far. there is no trick just takes practice.

Just have to do on a regular basis. Every time you ride, try to get in some switch riding. If conditions aren't that great (windy, choppy) I'll do some switch riding. Also, right before the boat turns around, go switch for the whip-around.

Personally I started my 180's by olleying to switch outside the wake, and cutting in on my weak heel side so that when I was landing toeside I was back to my comfortable direction. I also try riding switch now and then to get more comfortable that direction.

You are probably pulling yourself around, hence the faceplant. Make sure to keep extra tension on your lead arm, which is the opposite arm for regular boarding. So if you are riding goofy, right foot forward, you should have more tension on your right arm. Vice versa when riding regular.

I have been riding a wakeboard for 3 years now. I can easily jump wake to wake at 70 off and 21 mph.

That's amazing being that 70 off would put you at about 5 feet off the back of the boat, perhaps on the platform. :Tease3:

• Like 1

I have started to switch when I'm just about done with my run. I try to atleast cross the wake(not jumping). It's slow proces but every time I do it it gets me closer

I have the same problem but have been riding much longer. My new strategy to get used to switch is to always ride all the across the wake and back after landing a 180 before I go back to regular.

I always had issues hammering at the wake with my toeside too but that came very fast once i forced myself to try and go w2w toeside.

Edited by bradfr