Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Raw water pump catastrophe

So, my impeller shattered and broke the casing of my raw water pump. 1994 echelon with a merc 350. Replaced the broken parts. Boat runs and cools fine. Do I need to be concerned with little impeller parts plugging up the cooling system? If so, what is the remedy?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

The impeller pieces usually get trapped at input to the transmission cooler. This can cause cooling troubles. Just remove the hose and take out the pieces.

• Like 3

Is it possible that the pump froze with water in it? I'm surprised that an impeller can take out the housing.

Yes I'm very surprised to.

Is it possible that the pump froze with water in it? I'm surprised that an impeller can take out the housing.

I don't think so, This was my 6th trip out this season.

@badeeba: Assuming you have the side mounted / belt driven Jabsco pump (which is standard on Merc's of that era), and you took out the plastic (replacement as brass was original) housing with the impeller failure, I strongly suggest checking the whole pump over. Over time, with wear and parts replacement, the water seal to the bearings can lose the effectiveness and water gets in to the bearing area, which leads to pump failure. There is a rubber lip seal between the bearing housing and the pump housing.

The impeller pieces usually get trapped at input to the transmission cooler. This can cause cooling troubles. Just remove the hose and take out the pieces.

Thanks, pulled the hose and there was a nice collection of impeller chunks wedged up against that screen.[emoji102]

Usually they are plastic and get brittle as they age...