Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Houseboat easy meal ideas?

shawndoggy

We hire a professional chef, she arrives everyday at 3 pm via pontoon boat with the happy hour snacks, prepare the evening meal, cleans up and returns to base. She also takes care of all the provisioning. We handle our own breakfast and lunch. Cost is reasonable, especially when divided among several families. Big plus is that we can all be out enjoying the lake and no one is a galley slave.

I want to join your group!

Edited by Dare2goBare

Boz I would just as soon eat hard tack and pop tarts all week, but we are brining someone who will make herself a slave in the kitchen and I'm really trying to avoid that!

We do Italian night, Mexican night, BBQ Night, and then left over night. I need to look for the desert pics, but here are a few samples. Here is a video of the leftover night.

th_AE77B3E0-3D97-46B7-877C-CD2C2AAD4BF6_

04C082C1-F340-4BB5-8691-4FF03B39439E_zps

021EC1CD-7134-4CAD-979C-48F0FF429091_zps

0AFB7CF4-90F4-4117-A24D-DB2DE941C917_zps

D6BA2376-F819-41EC-AB4F-96ECEC311449_zps

1C63098A-B70D-4FF7-95EF-AF31EA934188_zps

Edited by Bozboat
  • Like 3

We usually do meals that are easy to prepare ahead of time and freeze well. Things like lasagna, marinated flank steak, stir fry, etc. Sandwiches for lunch typically and lots of bbqing.

An easy breakfast is put eggs, onion, bell pepper, salt/pepper in a plastic baggie and put it in boiling water. Warm tortillas add salsa, cheese....or other accoutrements to suit your tastes. All in bags, no mess, no pots or pans to clean.

Made creme brulee front toast at home and placed it in the flimsy aluminum deep dish containers. Freeze and then let thaw. Either cook in oven or on bbq, toss when done. Can do regular french toast too....

Or go old school and get poptarts.....

I usually drank a couple of weight loss shakes and a banana for the early AM butta'.

Hot dogs on the grill and cans of baked beans on the bbq as well...cheap and tasty....add a bag salad if you need to feel better...lol

Might I add I like one couple does a meal (breakfast or dinner) and clean up lunch your on your own. It's amazing the less mess made when you know you have to clean it up.

• Like 2

Dogs and burgers, pork tenderloins, pre-made enchiladas or casseroles. Things you can prepare at home or come prepared and you can just throw on the grill out of the package.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

we always, have a couple be responsible for just one night dinner and clean uip and like you have a leftover night

breakfast and lunch everyone is on their own

Never done the houseboat gig, but I know at our cottage, quick meals are the easiest. The last thing you want is to come off the lake at 5-6 and be stuck making a giant dinner. Mexican food is fresh and easy to prepare (tacos, burritos, fajitas), you only need a grill and a cutting board. Using a slow cooker is also key - Set it and forget it. Anything made ahead goes along way.

I should add, boat ideas:

We use those whole wheat thin sandwich breads and make individual sandwiches ahead. Pack some raw cut vegetables and easy to eat snacks (no Dorito Fingers allowed). That usually extends our day.

Edited by saxton15

not on the houseboat but when we camp we do pizza rolls on the grill as well. They are great.

Pizza rolls are the 2 am snack on the houseboat.

• Like 2

We assign each family a night. We always pick one night to go eat and drink at a restaurant on the lake. Then every other night Each family/couple is responsible for a dinner. That way no one is a galley slave. Last year we did stuffed shells. A different couple did rouladen. Another one did burgers and dogs. Breakfast and lunch is a "you're on your own" affair.

• Like 2

Like JB and Wakedncsu, we let each "family" unit take one night as theirs to do what they want for the whole crew, and each does their own breakfast and lunch. These usually are cold cuts wrapped around a cheese stick - that way smashed bread is not a worry.

Edited by REHinH20

I plan meals for a group of 24 for Stagecoach every year and I have also done some lake house / house boat trips.

Breakfasts: Cereal, bagels, pop tarts etc. One day I'll make up pancakes or french toast and eggs and bacon and sausage.

Lunch: Sandwiches of various kinds. Sometimes I do a pasta lunch with some salad and garlic bread.

Dinner: Dogs and burgers on the grill. Pasta (if we don't have it for lunch). Or sometimes Pizza too.

my go to lake food (Camper not house boat)

Breakfast - Biscuits and gravy casserole. I can make at home ahead of time

put1 can biscuits cut in quarters in a lightly greased 9X13 pan. Sprinkle 1 lb. cooked crumbled sausage over biscuits. pour 4 scrambled eggs over the top. Pour 1 pkg gravy already made on top of that. Top with shredded cheese of your choice ( I use mild cheddar) cook at 350 for 40 min.

Pancake and bacon rolls. Buy the canned cinnamon rolls. cook as directed. Cook bacon until very crisp(1 piece for each roll).Add a little maple syrup to the icing then Ice the rolls. crumble the bacon and press into the icing....good stuff, right there!

Lunch - ah yeah, i'm playing make yourself a sandwich.

Dinner- slow cooker pork . I make sandwiches and Highland fries - cook fries put shredded pork on top. top with cheese. broil til cheese is melted. serve with ranch and bbq sauce. really good!~

giant nachos - make individual nachos on tostadas. use pork from above or ground beef or chicken. add jalepenos and cheese. broil til cheese is melted. have toppings available...sour cream, lettuce onion ......

Our system is that each person has to prepare and clean one meal for everyone. Other than that they don't have to be involved for anything meal or cleaning the rest of the trip. What we end up with is people bringing up some great meals. Buddy of mine has his mother make enchiladas for everyone that we heat up int he oven. Man purchasing pre made breakfast burritos works great, especially the first day when you launch. Last night we do leftovers night, because there are always tons of left overs that need to be eaten

We hire a professional chef, she arrives everyday at 3 pm via pontoon boat with the happy hour snacks, prepare the evening meal, cleans up and returns to base. She also takes care of all the provisioning. We handle our own breakfast and lunch. Cost is reasonable, especially when divided among several families. Big plus is that we can all be out enjoying the lake and no one is a galley slave.

when i first started reading this, i thought you were implying that your wife was the chef. LOL