Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Minimum IQ for driving a boat?

CliffB

Here's a question, should there be a minimum IQ for driving a boat? Or, some minimum level of safety competence as tested by local/state folks?

I think this vid has been on here before. But, my question is simple: what was that driver thinking? There's obviously a lot of other boats in the area, and he's putting down the hammer? And what is he doing sawing at the controls like a monkey on Red Bull?

It's guys like that who mess it up for everyone else......more safety regulations, higher insurance rates, risk to you and your family, annoying lake behavior, etc. Why do we tolerate such stupidity on the lake?

Looks like he got slammed harder than anyone else. Feel sorry for the passengers.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BB5LXF0c__g

Interesting to see the long version of that - have seen about a 10 second grab plenty of times and always wondered what the aftermath was. At least green bikini girl seems to have her wits about her.

Looks like the boat gets airborne over a wave, lists way over to starboard then lands a bit sideways while the occupants get to keep going... It's a heck of an impact.

Some footage from outside the boat would be interesting.

I've always wondered why they aren't any speed restrictions when the waterways get crowded. I was just out in havasu, and through the narrow section north of the gorge, was passed by go-fast boats hauling a** in choppy water and crowded water ways.

I hate go fast boats (even worse "wanna be" go fast boats). They love to get out on the water when it's perfect for watersports, then they run Nascar circles for five minutes...ruin the lake, go park, and resume beating their wives. Wankers.

It's worse if you beat them onto the glass water, because then they ride up your butt at 50+ while your pulling someone because your wake is clean....then you are left worried, and wondering. Do they see my rider? Or are they just hammered idiots.

Only thing worse is a 14 year old on a jet ski. SMH.

/rant

• Like 2

Hey Cliff,

Just curious, how much boating have you done outside of Seattle? Ever been to Havasu? Or anywhere in the SE US? The crazy stuff I've seen in places like the Parker Strip or Lake Elsinore pale anything I ever saw in Seattle. I'm not saying it's right, just that this isn't exactly abnormal. Poker Runs are the norm down there. And they do it in really fast boats & haul a**.

I spend a lot of time with friends with large go fast boats. They have all watched this video and explained that it came down to driver error/lack of experience behind the throttles. The boat is clearly hopping through, gets a little sideways and the driver hammers the throttle. What did you expect would happen when a boat going 80 MPH hits water with the throttles full blasted. Best example: Turn your treadmill to max, run and attempt to jump on it.

Edited by saxton15
  • Like 1

I know a passenger in that boat... quoted from another forum.

Hey guys, I was a passenger in this boat during the accident. Yes, there are many cardinal rules broken. The most important one I feel is no life jackets worn. As crazy as it seems, we had jackets for each person but as the poker run began we realized no one else was wearing them..... How foolish we were. I have read so many nasty comments on YouTube and other sites I am in shock. My wife suffered 4 broken ribs, punctured lung and a broken foot. She has not left the house since getting home. She is in severe pain. The driver crushed his eye orbital and broke hus back at T8 ( he is a former F-2 racer with APBA). Another passenger who raced professionally for many years broke his pelvis in several places and is in a wheelchair. One of the other girls crushed her eye orbital also. The guy from lake tv fractured his hip and broke his wrist. My injuries were minor compared, busted my head open and damaged a rib or two. Everyone is black and blue. This was a very upsetting event for everyone involved. I have been around powerboats for many years and it only takes on unguarded minute to loose a life or permanently hurt people you love. I am very thankful this did not end up worse. I hope everyone learns from this. I know I will boat differently. All of the guys in the boat are members of OSO. I think it is necessary to break down the accident and discuss this, just remember these are real people who like you who love power boating and do it every weekend.

I hate go fast boats (even worse "wanna be" go fast boats). They love to get out on the water when it's perfect for watersports, then they run Nascar circles for five minutes...ruin the lake, go park, and resume beating their wives. Wankers.

It's worse if you beat them onto the glass water, because then they ride up your butt at 50+ while your pulling someone because your wake is clean....then you are left worried, and wondering. Do they see my rider? Or are they just hammered idiots.

Only thing worse is a 14 year old on a jet ski. SMH.

/rant

Apparently domestic violence directly results in power boating. Or is it vice versa?

I like your style elDax

Keep em coming!!!

It looks like the one thing he did do right was wear the engine kill cord. From the video, engines seem to shut down once the driver was thrown (I haven't got sound working at the moment so can't tell if the engines are still running on the video, so I am assuming not.)

How many of us wear the kill cord when going for it? Not many i guess.

Edit: Just played the video with sound, and he was not wearing the kill cord! As 'luck' would have it he had just closed the throttles when they smashed the port side. Could have been worse if throttles still wide open!!!

Absolutely nuts in my opinion, no life jackets, not seated, no kill cord.

Edited by randv

For all "real" poker runs, you must wear a life jacket and the driver MUST have the kill switch tethered. I find it hard to believe all of those people didn't feel the need to put their vest on.

Having done a couple poker runs myself, they can be pretty rough.

Like others have said, I’ve seen the 10-20 second “accident” of this clip but never the aftermath which was interesting to see. I can’t stand some of these people and how moronic they are especially some of the “want to be tough men” who buy these boats just to show off to their friends and that’s it with no other boating experience.

I live on a little 365 acre lake where the only thing bigger than my wake boat are a couple of pontoon boats. This past weekend a jacka** in a 30+ fountain must have dropped his boat in the lake to flush out the salt water.(which is illegal on our lake as it is) He sat at the ramp for about 5 minutes redlining his engine up and down. Once he was done with that he did hot laps around the lake that had about 4 tubers on it, 2 sail boats, a couple of boats anchored enjoying the weather and us just finishing up a surf set because it was too choppy to wakeboard. As you can see the little lake was pretty packed for the day and this a**hat is doing 60+ weaving in and out of boats with kids in the water and him not slowing down one bit. He did it about 20-25 laps around the lake until all tubers were out of the water scared for their lives since in some cases he was within 50 feet of fallen tubers in the water. We waited to watch him pull out but by the time he was done with his riding around he was out of the water quicker than any of us noticed. It’s people like this with no common sense that ruin everything for all of us who have 20+ft boats with higher horsepower for water sports.

Many lakes around here have implemented speed limits in recent years due to people killing others by going 100+ and running over smaller boats. Take it off shore if you want to kill yourself...

I know a passenger in that boat... quoted from another forum.

Hey guys, I was a passenger in this boat during the accident. Yes, there are many cardinal rules broken. The most important one I feel is no life jackets worn. As crazy as it seems, we had jackets for each person but as the poker run began we realized no one else was wearing them..... How foolish we were. I have read so many nasty comments on YouTube and other sites I am in shock. My wife suffered 4 broken ribs, punctured lung and a broken foot. She has not left the house since getting home. She is in severe pain. The driver crushed his eye orbital and broke hus back at T8 ( he is a former F-2 racer with APBA). Another passenger who raced professionally for many years broke his pelvis in several places and is in a wheelchair. One of the other girls crushed her eye orbital also. The guy from lake tv fractured his hip and broke his wrist. My injuries were minor compared, busted my head open and damaged a rib or two. Everyone is black and blue. This was a very upsetting event for everyone involved. I have been around powerboats for many years and it only takes on unguarded minute to loose a life or permanently hurt people you love. I am very thankful this did not end up worse. I hope everyone learns from this. I know I will boat differently. All of the guys in the boat are members of OSO. I think it is necessary to break down the accident and discuss this, just remember these are real people who like you who love power boating and do it every weekend.

Was this on St. Clair near harsens island?

Comentary by passenger a bit shocking as to the injuries, there is not one person that has commented here that hasn't done something stupid in their life and gotten away with it, like speeding, running a light, drunk driving, jumping a dirt bike, etc. gotta love people who throw stones when they live in a glass house. Or better yet I'm sure there is no one here who overloads their boat full of ballast and passengers and heads out on the lake with all the life jackets stuffed where no one knows where they are.

Edited by catalac
  • Like 2

If you're driving a go fast, you typically stand. The bolster seats drop and you are wedged in. It's the most comfortable and reactive way to drive the boat. For those in the back, they were likely standing to try and see what's coming up to brace themselves.

Comentary by passenger a bit shocking as to the injuries, there is not one person that has commented here that hasn't done something stupid in their life and gotten away with it, like speeding, running a light, drunk driving, jumping a dirt bike, etc. gotta love people who throw stones when they live in a glass house. Or better yet I'm sure there is no one here who overloads their boat full of ballast and passengers and heads out on the lake with all the life jackets stuffed where no one knows where they are.

Yep, I agree. I have done stupid things and gotten away with them, but regret them immensely and fortunately nobody died. I do know some people that did similar things and people did die, and caused devastation to many peoples lives. I broke bones and totaled a car, and feel very stupid that I did some of those things and do not expect people to pat me on the back and say "Hey man, it happens." I try very hard to not do stupid things like that anymore. Boats and water are serious business, and we as the boat owners and captains need to take the time to think these situations through and put safety first, especially if we consider it a gopro worthy event.