Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Anyone experiencing stuck oil filters on new 2015 Monsoon engines?

Co-worker of mine just picked up a new 2015 23 LSV and it flags for an oil change after the first 10 hours. He broke one oil filter wrench, bent another, and crushed the oil filter in the process of trying to remove it. The dealer said he's seen 3 other cases of the filter being so stuck on that it can't be removed. Anyone else here having this problem?

Yes, all the time... I have purchased a new heavy duty craftsman wrench/pliar that takes them off a lot easier. Indmar/Malibu has a poor design for a remote filter set up IMHO, but it does work. I change our oil at least 6 times a season, so I've gotten pretty good at it. This is our third season with our bu and have 775 hours on her. Lots of fluid changes! Lol. Good luck

Co-worker of mine just picked up a new 2015 23 LSV and it flags for an oil change after the first 10 hours. He broke one oil filter wrench, bent another, and crushed the oil filter in the process of trying to remove it. The dealer said he's seen 3 other cases of the filter being so stuck on that it can't be removed. Anyone else here having this problem?

Is he bypassing the 15 hour service from the dealer? I also have had one filter break apart, apparently the guy who put it on never thought it would have to come off again. I ended using a large pair of channel locks to finally break it free, and a few choice words while at it.... no reason for this ever to happen, people always put those filters on way too tight!

Same thing on my buddies 23lsv with the 409, broken filter wrench then punctured the filter with channel locks. He changed the oil before the dealer 15 hr .

after that happens to him , I opted to let the dealer deal with it.

Are these just a conventional spin-on cartridge filter? If they're that hard to get off, they surely haven't been put on properly...

Just firmly hand tight with a wipe of oil on the gasket is plenty...

The gasket is a self-energising type whereby the pressure of the oil inside extrudes the gasket out against the lip on the filter to make a tighter seal under operation.

Are these just a conventional spin-on cartridge filter? If they're that hard to get off, they surely haven't been put on properly...

Just firmly hand tight with a wipe of oil on the gasket is plenty...

The gasket is a self-energising type whereby the pressure of the oil inside extrudes the gasket out against the lip on the filter to make a tighter seal under operation.

Yep, here's the photo...crushed the heck out of it and it still won't budge. He ultimately decided the dealer should handle it.

20150607_200743.jpg

Yep, here's the photo...crushed the heck out of it and it still won't budge. He ultimately decided the dealer should handle it.

20150607_200743.jpg

Just get a hammer and a screw driver. Put the screw driver through the oil filter and your set! :innocent:

Screw driver only if you want to make a huge mess.

You need a band type filter wrench but get the kind that has the small spikes.

This happened all the time to me, and I am the one who tightened them. Started using grease on the gasket instead of oil. I am not sure what conditions cause boats to be worse then cars but they just are. This coming from a guy that has done a lot of oil changes.

• Like 1

I crushed the living daylights out of mine. Had to ram a screw driver through it and twist to eventually get it off. An hour and a half later, couple bloody fingers and some slight yelling, it was off. I put the new one on just past hand tight.

On my 2014 indmar i had to remove the remote assembly and put it in a vice. This year the filter on my PCM engine came off with ease.

Edited by Ridebutter

Thanks everyone. My guess is that malibu needs to change the casting design, the machining, or the material used to make that adapter. Anyone try using anti-seize compound on the threads when attaching new filers?

Yep, it's my boat and the dealer had fits getting it off too. I use the band wrench and broke one and bent the handle of another. Big grips didn't work either! :rofl:

Do not put a screw driver through it. Huge mess and you will just F it up more. Get a oil filter wrench cap that attaches to a socket wrench. The clap style ones suck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris, can you link to the one you use? I bought the clamp style and it honestly just crushed it even worse. Last resort was to ram the screw driver through it, didn't make a big mess to be honest.

Thanks everyone. My guess is that malibu needs to change the casting design, the machining, or the material used to make that adapter. Anyone try using anti-seize compound on the threads when attaching new filers?

I think all Indmar needs to do is not tighten the filters so tight, and add some oil to the face of the gasket.

Screwdriver didn't work for me. Big mess.

Chris, can you link to the one you use? I bought the clamp style and it honestly just crushed it even worse. Last resort was to ram the screw driver through it, didn't make a big mess to be honest.

I went into Napa and got one that is specific to the filters For the 350. And the NAPA filter. Not sure if It would fit other brands. Of the same size. Don't have a link sorry. But if you go to any NAPA they can get you the exact cap for your filter. These work like a champ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk