Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Looking for a fast wakesurfer

2014AXIST22

I am sure this is posted somewhere, but I don't feel like looking for it. We just recently purchased a new axis t22. With it, we bought a phase 5 model x surfboard. Love the board, but it just isn't fast enough for everybody in our boat. Any suggestions for a fast board? Thanks in advance.

Thanks Stevi. I realized that after posting this. As of now, we have 900 total. 250 in each locker and 400 in center. Played with some ballast last weekend, and dialed in the wave at 500 additional in each locked and 650 up front. I weigh 155 and have no problem with the model x. My dad on the other hand, is 180 and has trouble even with the extra weight. Could be rider error, but would still love a fast board for new tricks And jumps.

The model x is a very fast board honestly. There aren't too many boards that are faster with less effort

You guys might be riding too back foot heavy.

• Like 2

wakemitch, I thought that too at first, and tried to compensate but when we put the extra weight in the boat, the wave was too steep and made me dig the nose in every time I came off the wake. We tried speeding up, but that just made a long, short wave with little push.

At a certain point a rider needs to ride. A wake and board can't do everything.

When I worked at a shop I sold a model x to a 250 lbs guy who loved it

I am 220lbs now, and was close to 240lbs last season. I ride a Model X. Love it! Part of maintaining speed is keeping your toes dug into the wave. My toes are almost off the pad when I ride.

i am 215 and riding an "undersized" 54" danielo pro carbon, and it's really fast. it's all about the technique though...has your dad ever ridden ropeless? can you borrow a big a$$ board from someone to teach him the basics before expecting him to ride a skim that well?

Good thread..am at 225, have a 4'10" volt and a 5'2"buzz and can't seem to go ropeless. New surfer. Never thought about riding across the wave instead of down it. 15 A22 stock ballast and 750's with 950 bowsac. Looks like plenty of wave. I end up about a foot behind the boat basically on top of the wave.

• Like 1

Sounds like he needs to work on his technique (sorry, not trying to be mean). Here is a couple of things we do for newbies.

1 -- go as slow as you can while keeping a good shape to your wake

2 -- use a longer rope, or loop it to the ski pylon instead of the tower. I've found that for beginners, its great for them to be able to fall off the back of the wave and use the rope to pull back in. Eventually they learn to pump and "feel the pocket". If your rope is only long enough to put someone in the pocket, they never get used to catching back up to the boat.

3 -- as far as boards go, the one you have should be pretty fast. However, we have an older Ronix Koal Fish that's our go-to beginner board. It's fast enough and really stable. You can probably find a 2014 model on sale on the internet somewhere.

Just to be clear, MTT77, are you referencing me at 225 lbs with the Byerly Volt and the Buzz or 2014Axist22's Dad with the phase 5 model X? Trying to learn as much as possible, (from last weekend) before the next outing (this weekend)

I talked to the dealer, and got a byerly idlewood hyperlite. 5'6" long. the guy at the dealer uses it and he weighs 240. he says it is pretty fast. I hope to go out tomorrow to try it out.

Went out today with the idle wood hyperlite(5'6"long) had all three fins in. Was able to go ropeless. About 10.8 mph. Downloaded an app to calibrate the speedo. I am 225 lbs. Learned a few things about staying in the pocket. Also I went slack rope on my volt. My A22 has a short pocket...I was about 3 to 5 ft behind the boat. Wave looked huge, stock ballast 750's and 950.

Went out today with the idle wood hyperlite(5'6"long) had all three fins in. Was able to go ropeless. About 10.8 mph. Downloaded an app to calibrate the speedo. I am 225 lbs. Learned a few things about staying in the pocket. Also I went slack rope on my volt. My A22 has a short pocket...I was about 3 to 5 ft behind the boat. Wave looked huge, stock ballast 750's and 950.

900's in the rear might have been better

How do you extend the wave? I just bought bags so haven't got them yet but when we tried w/ wedge down and factory ballast full the wave was nice and tall but VERY short. I too will need a fast board as I'm a hefty fella. May try to find one of these boards mentioned.

extend the wave = increase speed or/and have more bow weight.

Dial a boat take a lot of time without riding the wave.

Good luck

• Like 2

We have a '14 A22 and the same ballast setup as you.

Try another 400+ lbs in the bow and use the wedge. I am riding a IS Sweet Spot Pro and surf at 11.2 mph. My wife rides a koal fish and surfs at 10.8.