Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

1999 malibu response fuel smell

When opening the back ski storage compartment, I get a whiff of fuel. I am thinking it has to do with a fitting or hose on the fuel tank. Any similar problems others have had? If need be can someone tell me the best way to get access/remove the fuel tank? Thanks much!

I think they are original...I bought the boat used about 5 years ago.

I would probably replace it. Fairly easy to do. I wouldn't be surprise if the old line has a leak.

access the aft end of fuel lines by removing the panel in the ski locker along the transom to search for leaks.

also, take a look at this fuel line topic.

Will I have to remove the tank if I have to change fuel lines? Thanks Edited by Jimmyw

Just in case you don't fix and use boat, I would leave the blower running all the time while motoring until you got the smell issue resolved.