Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Can you guys help me critique my surf wake?

gobble

Does this look right? Too short? I had a hard time staying in front of the wave but I'm new to this.

2008 Wakesetter VLX

Wicked Wakesurf installed

Factory ballast full - front, center, left, right

Piggyback bags almost full in both lockers ~700 pounds each

Wedge half down

10 mph

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLwfMgGJZn8

Edited by gobble

Even with my home made surf gate the boat still likes some extra surf side ballast. I run max wedge as well so that may help a little and you will always be doing right by running extra weight up front.

07 vlx. add 650 bow ballast triangle and pump to your liking from Wakemakers. I dont even run the wedge for beginners and the wave will do the work for them. everyone is succsessful on their first day after learning how to get out of the water. :)

Gotta leave some weight in the non surf side to get the gate to work as designed other wise too much lean pulls it out of the water. I built my gate so the bottom of the gate is about 2" from the bottom of the hull so I can probably get away with more list than someone with "OEM" surf gate dimensions.

I find for the regular side, the side in your video, you have to be a least a couple hundred pounds heaver to that side to get it to clean up. On the goofy side you can weight pretty evenly and get a good goofy wave. We can never get a clean wave much under 10.5 so speed up it will help clean the top and lengthen the wave. We go 10.8-11mph for surf style surfing and 10.5ish for skim style. Also add at least 200lbs up front if you need more length. I just sold a 2010vlx with wicked wave and this is the only things we did different than your set up.

You think it's too far away? I was thinking it was too close? Where in the wave would you want to ride, up close where it's clear or back where it's breaking?

Gobble,

I have the wicked wave as well on my 247 and this is how I've weighted the boat.... remember though the 247 is bigger and needs a bit more weight...

- all factory tanks full

- Two 1,000 pound bags in the rear lockers (piggy backed to malibu system) both full.

- 800 lbs in the side locker (this is altered based on butts on the surf side seats) ...but I always want to run as close to 800 lbs as I can.

- wedge all the way down

- 10.8 mph

I have a very long, steep wave... I like a great deal of push and this set up (at least for me) does it! GREAT WAVE.

As a footnote the wicked wave has helped me eliminate two bags / additional 1000 lbs of weight... and hassle. (the 247 needs A LOT of weight)

10 mph, surf side rear sack loaded, non surf side 50-75%, front and or center fully loaded.

Front and or center ballast = longer wave. Rear ballast = taller. Speeds between 9-10 mph depending on boat. Do slow, huge left turns.