Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Best Surf Boat Any of the Top Brands, Which One to Choose?

JB-FOOT

Totally agree that you don't HAVE to run massive amounts of weight with gated systems. But at the same time, Baws and LBJ don't have to run the amount of weight they are either. When you're comparing best to best; the amount of weight is around/about double with gated systems....and that's not including the larger hulls that have become commonplace with the gated systems. I mean, I just read a thread the other day where everyone involved was running 4800-5000#, with between 800-1000 in the bow.

But it's all good tho. To each their own. I just think the myth that it's "easier" with a gated system is just that; a myth. Automate your ballast and it's all the same thing: flipping switches. (Although we do shuffle a little lead around...... takes about 30 seconds)

And the other thing that people are getting hung up on is the sensitivity of listed boats... Sure, absolutely; my little 21' boat is extremely sensitive to people moving around. No argument there. But the larger hulls aren't that way at all...... at least in my experience. LBJ and Baws boat show none of that. The other day a 200# guy was walking all over the boat (bow, off side, swim step, etc) and it didnt effect the wave at all. I'm actually surprised to hear you can manipulate the Gs wave by just moving one person around.

SD; you saw that pic of us riding Sunday. Did that boat look uncomfortable or like someone was playing dictator with the seating arrangement? 5 guys ((200# each) and the boat looked empty really..... Guy in the bow by himself, driver, rider, observer seat, back corner. Nobody even within arms reach of each other. And a couple more could have been sitting on the back bench with no worries.

Anyway.....

Yeah but what I'm saying too is LBJ's wave didn't look any better than mine? Which is not running "double the weight" or 4-5000 lbs. We run full factory (1250), two kinda pinched 750s (probably realistically 600 apiece, given that 750s don't actually hold 750 even under optimal conditions), 150 lead hidden in the bow. So under 3K total weight if you count everything. We did try the bow triangle this weekend (prolly 3-400 in it at most), but I didn't think it really changed anything.

Of course we mostly surf goofy and the boat favors that side. I might be doing things differently if we were on the port side.... and I realize doc messed around with this boat last season and could never get a good lippy surfgate wave on the port side. (wonder in hindsight whether going backwards to a 14.5" prop might have helped the regular wave?)

Having come from a boat that was fully automated on switches with four reversible pumps and put out an excellent wave listed on both sides, I know what you are saying, but I still don't agree. SG really is even easier than that.... again, at least if you are primarily a goofy rider. From a driving/handling perspective it really is easier. My wife is NOT enthused about driving a slammed boat and she would stress out when the MB was running heavy listed (a boat with more freeboard than a current LSV).

Edited by shawndoggy

Gotcha.

In my experience.....I've never ridden a SG wave anywhere close to LBJs wave. Including that 2015 23lsv demo with IXFE last year with a setup similar to what you're describing. Now, was the wave okay? Sure. But nowhere close to LBJs ..... and not in the same galaxy as Baws'.

And I can't and won't discount your experience in both boats, with both systems....... but I'm not sure how much easier it could get than pushing one button on the touchscreen and flipping 2 rocker switches. To switch sides, add flipping 2 ball valves to that process.

ewww ball valves? LOL gotta get that action automated! (xover pump is money on an integrated listed system).

I've considered it but to be honest my wife is getting awesome at surfing regular. She is 100 percent better then I am at riding goofy. I still switch it for her but she hasn't even asked.

I don't think we will ever agree.... I am just not willing to compromise wave quality for what is a perceived convenience. Also another truth....I'd be hard pressed to believe a ballasted SG boat (bigger hull AND more weight AND a flap) would burn less fuel on an outing.... Sooooo compromised wave and worse fuel economy and less storage to drive a level boat? Not me.... But it's all good I go along ways to keep my wife happy as well. She had the final say in the gel and she put the kibosh on a 247 with an 8.1 for an awesome deal.

I've considered it but to be honest my wife is getting awesome at surfing regular. She is 100 percent better then I am at riding goofy. I still switch it for her but she hasn't even asked.

I don't think we will ever agree.... I am just not willing to compromise wave quality for what is a perceived convenience. Also another truth....I'd be hard pressed to believe a ballasted SG boat (bigger hull AND more weight AND a flap) would burn less fuel on an outing.... Sooooo compromised wave and worse fuel economy and less storage to drive a level boat? Not me.... But it's all good I go along ways to keep my wife happy as well. She had the final say in the gel and she put the kibosh on a 247 with an 8.1 for an awesome deal.

What total weight including hard tanks do you run LBJ when listed?

Edited by DocPhil

I ran about ran about 3000, Depending on number of people I had, listed goofy, about 11.8 mph. One of the nicest waves I have ever seen! Then I sold it to Lbj, and bought a 14.

• Like 2

That's great! I ran all MLS full, except, port side only half,1100 in the starboard locker, 750 on the starboard rear seat, a 400 starboard side in the bow, and some times if it was really calm a 400 on the starboard floor. 11.8 mph, wedge full down. The 409 had no problems pushing it with a 1235 prop at 3400 ft elevation. Awesome wave! Would like to see a wave like baws. even thought about buying an older 247

I glanced at this one last week, it is a pretty clean boat, I didn't get in and go through it , just took a lap.

The color is probably the only reason it's still available. I bet if you put some of the newer Domed wakesetter letters it wouldn't break up all the orange.

Has anyone listed a surfgate boat and not used surfgate. Just curious. Thinking of trying this on my 23. If the wave is as good as the older 23 I wouldn't mind doing this on occasion when it's a surf only day with only a few good riders. Then use the gate on family and friend days for fun laid back surfing.

Sent into space with tapatalk

I glanced at this one last week, it is a pretty clean boat, I didn't get in and go through it , just took a lap.

The color is probably the only reason it's still available. I bet if you put some of the newer Domed wakesetter letters it wouldn't break up all the orange.

Shoot make a lowball offer and get it wrapped with skulls and aces of spades and topless mermaids and iron crosses.

• Like 3

What total weight including hard tanks do you run LBJ when listed?

1275 dong sack per bakes website

500 lead

1350 MLS

Wedge

12.6 mph

still able to run the 1235 no prob 3200 rpm

Alright PNW crew, either post up pics of LBJ's wave that's being referenced as the standard or go get a hotel room.

Did I miss it in another thread?

• Like 3

I am also interested in seeing this listed wave. Is the Dong sac running along the center of the floor? 3200 RPM's, I thought it would be lower. 3200 seems to be the sweet spot for both Listed and Gates boats.

Alright PNW crew, either post up pics of LBJ's wave that's being referenced as the standard or go get a hotel room.

Yes you did miss it. Besides, you've been around long enough to know....pics mean very little except to tell if a wave is clean. I don't trust any pic, the wave has to be ridden.

Edited by Lance B. Johnson

*inappropriately rubs nipples through shirt*

Hotel room, huh....

*nods head slowly*