Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Best Surf Boat Any of the Top Brands, Which One to Choose?

JB-FOOT

As much rancor as there was about the southern surf fest thread, seems like attending an event like that is going to give you the best chance to see current boats at what their owners consider to be dialed. I do agree that dealer demos are often quite lacking. Much better off getting "enthusiast" demos.

JB are your friends looking for a "system" boat or are they willing to surf listed? Do they surf the same side or different sides?

Man I don't know about you guys but I can't wait to see this centurion "game changer"

They knocked it outta the park with the last 3 (CATS, ramfill, and whatever that giant trim tab is called)

• Like 2

I have layed eyes on this specimen.

You won't want to be in your v-ride when this thing rolls by at 11 mph. That's all I will say.

• Like 2

Thanks. Does that mean "do transfers"?

ShawnDoggy

yes, while they can dial it in, they are trying to get an out of the box experience, and maybe that will end up not being the best to figure it out in the end.

one rides regular and one rides goofy

the regular wave on the G was not that "sweet" compared to the Goofy side

and both of them like to surf side to side

I appreciate the feedback

they would like to have it before summers end I believe...

if they end up ordering a G series boat, it is going to be a 2016 and Correct Craft is going to a 7 year warranty for 2016, if they wait on that boat.

that is a pretty strong warranty

Edited by JB-FOOT

Buying a boat on surf wave alone is something that I would do. You see I don't believe surf waves are really all that subjective, until you start discussing the finer points. The reason I know this is that I have been on so many waves that are bragged up......... only to be disappointed to find out that half to 3/4s of my relatively small bag of tricks were made impossible.

That said, given two waves that are almost equal, then I would be looking at the other factors that the boat brings, including dealer. What this means is that I am willing to put up with some inconvenience in order to achieve the best wave......this is obvious because we ride listed. And only the truly enlightened list their boats btw :lol:

I think your friends are doing it right. One suggestion might be to do the research into what it takes to dial each wave, THEN go demo the boat and pretty much ignore what the salesman has to offer (unless the salesman is a pretty good surfer!)

Man I don't know about you guys but I can't wait to see this centurion "game changer"

They knocked it outta the park with the last 3 (CATS, ramfill, and whatever that giant trim tab is called)

Not from my experience with riding behind a few Centurion pro team riders' boats. 2014 sv233 (ramfill and cats) and a 2015 fs233 (quick surf, ramfil, and cats)

Both boats need lead and extra weight on the surf side. The FS233 is my favorite Centurion wake, but you definitely cant just switch sides. Each side has to be tuned.

^^^ I think docphil had his sarcasm font on for that prior post....

I thought the fact that I put "gamechanger" in quotes tipped it off

Saidainc is right....some folks just don't have sarcasm in their DNA

Edited by DocPhil
  • Like 2

I'm a dummy haha.

I rode behind a centurion yesterday and my disappointment effected my reading of your post haha

• Like 3

I hope that the new 247 LSV will ultimately be the game changer. But who knows. I personally think a listed wave is probably better and much longer. Easier for family fun? No. Unless they are competitive surfers a G or a 23LSV will be perfect and much easier to use, operate.

Sent into space with tapatalk

I have a G23 and will say this.

The G23 storage is huge and it's everywhere. You'll never see a ballast bag siting in the boat while your driving. IMO very easy to dial in a nice wave regardless of the number of people. Most Mondays three of us ride after work, have the whole lake to ourselves and I run stock ballast plus 400# lead up front. I have 1,100s plumbed in to the rear lockers but in all serious it's not necessary even with a small crew.

I LOVE the interiors of Mastercraft. Probably the nicest vinyl, colors and patterns amongst the top three. You WILL water over the front of the MC while it's a rare event on the G23.

I'd also suggest demoing a Supra SG or SE as they have really stepped up theit game this year. Of course they need to demo an LSV or even the new 247 refresh or new model...name TBD.

Automate your ballast on a listed boat and neither is "easier" . Especially given the fact all these gated boats are having to run massive amounts of weight. Just boils down to what each person is comfortable with: a listed boat OR a gated boat with twice the weight.

I used to agree with you about this but not so much any more. I kinda bet LBJ's LSV is heavier than our boat. Our boat doesn't run massive amounts of weight to produce a long surfable wave by any means. Is it "the biggest?" Prolly not. Does it limit my experience? NO WAY.

Please note... all I'm quibbling about is your assertion that gated boats "are having to run..." Sure, some people do, but you really don't have to. IMHO etc etc.

• Like 3

Only other thing I will add is not all surf systems are the same. Not even close. I don't think a lot of folks understand this.

All of them allow trades in wave height and length with tabs or wedge. Bow up tall wave but short In length. Lean it over harder for this shape, clean up the lip etc. Else you have speed changes and movement of weight to affect the boat's lean to shape the wave. That's not what I am taking about.

I am taking wave quality, shape, steep or mellow, independent of height and length adjustments on the fly. Regardless of speed, weight placement. Allows you to dial in a specific wave much faster vs chasing weight around the boat or playing dictator with where folks sit and place a bag to replicate the wave you and two other Bros achieved last weekend.

New 120 lady surfer pearling as she comes off the wave too steep? Mellow it out for her instantly. 250lb dude just learning? Knee high but steeper to provide push to get him slack in the rop. Done. Back to a small 90kb kid, smaller and more mellow, done etc.

Only other thing I will add is not all surf systems are the same. Not even close. I don't think a lot of folks understand this.

All of them allow trades in wave height and length with tabs or wedge. Bow up tall wave but short In length. Lean it over harder for this shape, clean up the lip etc. Else you have speed changes and movement of weight to affect the boat's lean to shape the wave. That's not what I am taking about.

I am taking wave quality, shape, steep or mellow, independent of height and length adjustments on the fly. Regardless of speed, weight placement. Allows you to dial in a specific wave much faster vs chasing weight around the boat or playing dictator with where folks sit and place a bag to replicate the wave you and two other Bros achieved last weekend.

New 120 lady surfer pearling as she comes off the wave too steep? Mellow it out for her instantly. 250lb dude just learning? Knee high but steeper to provide push to get him slack in the rop. Done. Back to a small 90kb kid, smaller and more mellow, done etc.

So. what are you saying here....which ones do that in your opinion?

Demo the boats you listed above and have the sales Bro show how wave quality shape can be manipulated beyond the standard height and length trade. And determine if what they show is of value to you. It may not matter to some folks.

Demo the boats you listed above and have the sales Bro show how wave quality shape can be manipulated beyond the standard height and length trade. And determine if what they show is of value to you. It may not matter to some folks.

Gotcha, I was not sure what you were trying to say.... I totally understand and agree with what you said now that I understand it more clearly....thanks