Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Best Surf Boat Any of the Top Brands, Which One to Choose?

JB-FOOT

Good Friends of mine are on the hunt to replace one of their boats for a new Surf Boat.

I was asked to help them evaluate the boats with them, and yesterday we demoed 2015 Correct Craft G23 and 2015 Mastercraft X23

they already own a Nautique Slalom Tractor and they are looking to trade in their 2006 Tige` 22i that they have been using as their surf boat.

We stopped at the Malibu dealership before we went on to Demo the other two models and brands. We looked at them on the showroom floor, but not in or on the water.

There were Big + & - with both boats we tested.

I will say, if wave size, shape and versatility were the only criteria, the Mastercraft wins HANDS DOWN over the G23 Nautique...

Now they need to look at Malibu's....in the 23 foot range with Goofy and Regular foot in mind while surfing.

The couple wants to be able to Surf from side to side, and without anyone else in the boat (if they just wanted to have 3 people total) and SURF with a GREAT wave and GREAT versatility!

What boat should they look at and WHY?

Storage is the 2nd thing on their list...

Malibu?

Correct Craft?

Mastercraft?

Tige'?

Centurion?

That's a loaded question and I can't wait to see some replies. We love our 23 LSV. Does it have the best surf wave in the industry? Maybe not. Would I replace it with another 23 LSV? Already looking at the 2016 models.

Sent into space with tapatalk

If storage is their number 2, the G is going to win hands down. And while the X23 does have a significantly better wave out of the box, than the G23, it doesn't take much to put the G on par, or better than a stock X23. However, at that point, you are taking up that extra storage in the G23.

Doesn't take much to get a really awesome wave out of a 23LSV either. Storage is quite a bit less than the other 2, but I still feel it is plenty for most people. If storage is that important, they may as well scratch the Tige and especially any centurion off the list.

Do they do any other sports? If they have beginner wakeboarers, the 23 LSV is going to be better for low speed wake. If they do any slalom, the LSV will also be better for that.

Short answer is, they are all excellent. Supra would be another good one to look at. They should just keep demoing until they find the one they like best, make sure the dealer is friendly and helpful, and take that one.

X30, and 22VLX would also be good ones to look at.

Edited by TenTwentyOne

from Malibu - same size like the MC X-23 and Nautique G23 - they should demo the 23LSV. Because a "great wave" is something personal, all of the three boats do have a great wave, on both sides, and can switch with a push of a button.

So that now is my personal oppinion, buying a boat has nothing to do with math or physics ;-).

If your friends like the X-23 wave and the boat... i don't think a 23LSV does have any chance in the other requirements... and i do like the 23LSV.

Tige does not have the option to switch a wave instantly, they have a remote to control the shape of the wake - maybe they have something for 2016.

Supra SG - but its a bit in the larger side with 23.8

Centurion - i would only look for the boats if the dealer is near at my lake and awesome.

Anyway.. just in two Month we will get all the news for the 2016 Boats.. i would wait until that... if your not looking to buy a stock boat.

• Like 1

Have friends with both x23 and x30. The goofy wave is much better (my opinion) on the x30 than the x23. We had a boat load of people on the 23 and tried moving them around, adjusting speed and tabs but wave was always washed out with less than impressive push. Regular side looked good.

Like the rear surf seats in back on the 23 but I think the 30 is all around better behind the boat.

No G knowledge.

X-23 Very Premature to put it at the same level as a G23 IMO....

AFUN

as I stated, if Wave is the only criteria, the mastercraft wins.

I surfed both boats as did the husband and wife who are buying the new boat.

there were pluses and minuses...in BOTH

the wave was phenomenal and vary variable much more so in the Mastercraft....

the Seats were more comfortable in the Mastercraft especially in the rear corners and in the corners in the bow. probably the most comfortable corner seats I have ever sat it..and i have sat in MANY an inboard boat....and No I am not going to say how...LOL

If storage is their number 2, the G is going to win hands down. And while the X23 does have a significantly better wave out of the box, than the G23, it doesn't take much to put the G on par, or better than a stock X23. However, at that point, you are taking up that extra storage in the G23.

Doesn't take much to get a really awesome wave out of a 23LSV either. Storage is quite a bit less than the other 2, but I still feel it is plenty for most people. If storage is that important, they may as well scratch the Tige and especially any centurion off the list.

Do they do any other sports? If they have beginner wakeboarers, the 23 LSV is going to be better for low speed wake. If they do any slalom, the LSV will also be better for that.

Short answer is, they are all excellent. Supra would be another good one to look at. They should just keep demoing until they find the one they like best, make sure the dealer is friendly and helpful, and take that one.

X30, and 22VLX would also be good ones to look at.

As I stated in the original post, they will have two boats and their other Nautique takes care of ALL of their slalom needs...

Thanks for your input on the rest of your answer.

We will continue to search and demo surf boats to get what they want...

• Like 1

In all honesty. Wait. Centurion has some stuff in the pipeline that will be out this year.

I will only say two words and no more. Shane Stillman.

In all honesty, I am only curious about one thing........ Are they launching a completely new boat that has a good wakeboard wake, has any kind of storage, decent fit and finish, doesn't have to be sunk to the rub rail on the surf side, don't have to stand while driving, has decent freeboard, and doesn't run at 4k rpm constantly to throw down the surf wake???

I mean, if so, that would be awesome. But that is a lot of stuff to change on one model refresh. Sure, centurions throw down an exceptional wave, but you sacrifice almost every other good thing about a boat to do so.....

At this point in the game, I feel like choosing a boat based on surf wave is just silly. Any of the new 23 foot boats will throw a killer wave.

Tell them to choose the dealer and the boat they like and the surf wave will follow.

It's pointless to discuss which boat has the best surf wave because it is so subjective. It's the G23, no the X23, no the 23 LSV, blah blah blah.

Just have them demo every boat that is in the running and go from there They will be much happier with the boat they like that has a good surf wave than taking the advice of others on surf wave and buying a boat that doesn't necessarily fulfill their needs

Your friend has an excellent case of the first worlds though!!

My personal opinion is that when choosing a new boat, dealer relationship is

1,2,3,4, and 5 on the list....then the rest follows!

Doc, let me start off by saying that I agree that the dealer is VERY important. but a dealer is only as important as needed if and when the boat needs "DEALER FIXING" if it doesn't quit working, it doesn't go back to the dealer..and the dealer is not as important, but I do VERY MUCH agree that the dealer is an important factor....

That said:

Doc...would your blanket statement hold true by saying the same about a luxury car? between a Lexus, Mercedes, Infinity, BMW etc.?

just go to the best dealer and be STUCK with one of those cars because they all are equal? I think not.

DocPhil, on 07 Jun 2015 - 5:27 PM, said:

Any of the new 23 foot boats will throw a killer wave.

And after we had demos in both of the boats, back to back on the same lake on the same day with the same surf boards and the same surf rope lengths.... they were not same, not even close. especially when you factor in (out of the box and the touch screen basic pre-sets and just a small amount of tweaking) to make a fair comparison...

Now, as for your statement that " DocPhil, on 07 Jun 2015 - 5:27 PM, said:

At this point in the game, I feel like choosing a boat based on surf wave is just silly. Doc, why is it "Just Silly" people with disposable income (like yourself and many others on this forum) have the right to choose the reasons that they want to spend "SILLY" money on any of these "SILLY" priced toys we call necessities.

I do not want to make this personal Doc, as I respect your right to voice your opinions, I am just trying ti elicit advise from many informed people that have owned or ridden behind the boats in question for the specific use as I stated in my original post, since that is the criteria that my very informed and knowledgeable boating friends are looking for. and I would like to narrow down my having to demo boats that based on the experience of others I can cross of of the list.

from Malibu - same size like the MC X-23 and Nautique G23 - they should demo the 23LSV. Because a "great wave" is something personal, all of the three boats do have a great wave, on both sides, and can switch with a push of a button.

So that now is my personal oppinion, buying a boat has nothing to do with math or physics ;-).

If your friends like the X-23 wave and the boat... i don't think a 23LSV does have any chance in the other requirements... and i do like the 23LSV.

Tige does not have the option to switch a wave instantly, they have a remote to control the shape of the wake - maybe they have something for 2016.

Supra SG - but its a bit in the larger side with 23.8

Centurion - i would only look for the boats if the dealer is near at my lake and awesome.

Anyway.. just in two Month we will get all the news for the 2016 Boats.. i would wait until that... if your not looking to buy a stock boat.

One Cent,

thanks...we will be looking at the Malibu next and I want to narrow that field down for them (and me, I do not want to spend the rest of the summer figuring this out with them...LOL)

That's a loaded question and I can't wait to see some replies. We love our 23 LSV. Does it have the best surf wave in the industry? Maybe not. Would I replace it with another 23 LSV? Already looking at the 2016 models.

Sent into space with tapatalk

PM me please, would love to talk with you "OFF of the forum" about your opinion and why you are trading up...

Thanks

JB

AFUN

as I stated, if Wave is the only criteria, the mastercraft wins.

I surfed both boats as did the husband and wife who are buying the new boat.

there were pluses and minuses...in BOTH

the wave was phenomenal and vary variable much more so in the Mastercraft....

the Seats were more comfortable in the Mastercraft especially in the rear corners and in the corners in the bow. probably the most comfortable corner seats I have ever sat it..and i have sat in MANY an inboard boat....and No I am not going to say how...LOL

I am no where near ready to give this troophy to the X23....Saw one at the boat show

Nearing in on almost 200hrs on my second G and would not want another boat. No other boat I'd rather spend 8-10hrs a day in Sat and Sunday with 4-6 other folks. It does everything very very well. While it may not have the biggest or the longest wave... The wave quality is top notch and easy to dial in.

With that said... If I had to be new, and $100k was the budget, I'd be in a CenturionFX33 as my #2. Buddy just bought one... Great all around boat, fantastic 247ish listed wave.

In all honesty. Wait. Centurion has some stuff in the pipeline that will be out this year.

I will only say two words and no more. Shane Stillman.

that guy can't seem to keep a job. Every year he is with a new company. Or is he a consultant?

Doc, let me start off by saying that I agree that the dealer is VERY important. but a dealer is only as important as needed if and when the boat needs "DEALER FIXING" if it doesn't quit working, it doesn't go back to the dealer..and the dealer is not as important, but I do VERY MUCH agree that the dealer is an important factor....

That said:

DocPhil, on 07 Jun 2015 - 5:27 PM, said:

Any of the new 23 foot boats will throw a killer wave.

And after we had demos in both of the boats, back to back on the same lake on the same day with the same surf boards and the same surf rope lengths.... they were not same, not even close. especially when you factor in (out of the box and the touch screen basic pre-sets and just a small amount of tweaking) to make a fair comparison...

Now, as for your statement that " DocPhil, on 07 Jun 2015 - 5:27 PM, said:

At this point in the game, I feel like choosing a boat based on surf wave is just silly. Doc, why is it "Just Silly" people with disposable income (like yourself and many others on this forum) have the right to choose the reasons that they want to spend "SILLY" money on any of these "SILLY" priced toys we call necessities.

I do not want to make this personal Doc, as I respect your right to voice your opinions, I am just trying ti elicit advise from many informed people that have owned or ridden behind the boats in question for the specific use as I stated in my original post, since that is the criteria that my very informed and knowledgeable boating friends are looking for. and I would like to narrow down my having to demo boats that based on the experience of others I can cross of of the list.

Not personal at all. Its all good.

Point is that you will never get a consensus on any forum of the best surf boat. Everyone is biased. Also a dealer demo is far from a "dialed" boat.

So picking a boat based primarily off a dealer demo surf wave and forum advice is silly IMO.

They are better off picking the dealer and boat they like. They all have killer waves.

As for only fixing it when its broke? Well hopefully they get the first new boat in history with Zero warranty claims

Edited by DocPhil
  • Like 2

GM is the parent company.

Then Chevy, GMC, Caddy etc.

Correct Craft

Nautique, PCM, Crusader, BassCat, Aktion Cable Parks

Edited by nyryan2001

that guy can't seem to keep a job. Every year he is with a new company. Or is he a consultant?

He has found a home. He lives in Merced, was with BU for a long time, tried MB, then Skiers Choice, didn't like traveling with his young family and now he is back in Merced with Fineline. #gamechanger

Edited by skurfer

The discussion should move from which boat has the best out of the box surf wave to which boat is easiest to dial in. Surf "technology" essentially all does the same thing. Aside from the crazies around here, the rest of the owners want to just load up, flip the switch and go.

• Like 2

JB - The X23 and G are both great boats for surfing. If your friends have the means I don't think they could go wrong with either. The rest of the boats on the list do not compare to the stated requirements and are a step down in fit and finish. I think the G is going to be more versatile wake wise while the X23 is more surf specific and will ride better is rough water.

Interior. Hard to compete with MC in quality. I know the G is nice as well, but it does have a harder look to it. All of that is taste anyway.

• Like 3