Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

22VLX rear wet lockers?

PeteOOXXOO

Can anyone confirm that the rear storage containers under the rear lounge seats on the new 22VLX get deleted if you go with the 409 motor?? That's what I am being told after I flipped up the cushions and found an ugly black plastic panel screwed over the holes instead!! Apparently the new motor is physically bigger...

If that is the case, has anyone looked at alternatives? Having a wet storage area near the swim platform is an awesome idea - but disappointing if I lose it ?

Hey Pete

The one I test drove had the 409 and was the same blocked off with a flat plate and the coolant bottle was in the port locker. The Australian version is 100mm narrower I wonder if there having trouble fitting it all in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes with the 409 you loose the trays, was shown to me when i demoed at GRE. I believe there is a coolant tray in the left rear locker as well which can be a drama with some bags.

I'm going to have to ask to get the 409 trays. I think think the white storage trays are useless.

We put everyone's flip flops in one of our trays. In the other we keep a bath mat from costco,

it is used when loading up or when anchored up when there is traffic coming in and out over the rear sun pad.

20150606_194937_zpsvbjpp3xd.jpg

We also keep one under the drivers feet and put it on the bow when picking up someone from the dock

20150606_195023_zpsxiy5czu2.jpg

• Like 2

Hey guys

Dose anyone have any more info on where the loss of 100mm (4 inch) is taken from would be handy to know before ordering custom bags etc.

My dealer did not know and so far I have no answers.

After test driving this great boat I took a lot of photos to show my wife and can not spot any differences the only info I did get is that the G4 will never be an option because they use the VTX G3.2 tower being that it is 100mm narrower.

If any one has any more info on this I would appreciate it before I pull the trigger again?

Cheers

Loss of 4 inches? The boat gained 4". Went from 21'6" to 22'10"

Sorry for the confusion I mean the width of the boat in Australia it went from 102 inches to 98

so Aus 409 is only offered with closed cooling? Interesting!

Shawn, the 409 is available is Australia with or without closed loop cooling - I just went with the closed loop as I use the river a lot and it feeds into the ocean eventually so the water is a bit brackish

Sorry for the confusion I mean the width of the boat in Australia it went from 102 inches to 98

They narrowed the beam in AUS? Didn't go from 98 to 102 here? Makes sense to cut down on tower expense if you can use the same one on multiple boats.

Shawn, the 409 is available is Australia with or without closed loop cooling - I just went with the closed loop as I use the river a lot and it feeds into the ocean eventually so the water is a bit brackish

Hey Pete, can you get the tape measure out and clear up the AU beam measurement. I reckon a 98" beam 22 footer is going to look a little odd. Visually you will be able to see it straight away as the easytow will not be wider than 2.5M. I remember back in 09 I was told by Malibu AU that the VLX had a 98 beam and well it just hasn't...

Hey Pete, can you get the tape measure out and clear up the AU beam measurement. I reckon a 98" beam 22 footer is going to look a little odd. Visually you will be able to see it straight away as the easytow will not be wider than 2.5M. I remember back in 09 I was told by Malibu AU that the VLX had a 98 beam and well it just hasn't...

Just went out and checked - I can confirm that the trailer width is approx 2.50m which is approx 98.4 inches, and the boat sides line up vertically with it. So yeah, they haven't lied - we have an australian-specific hull for the 22VLX to comply with australian road rules . Checked out the wave briefly on Sunday for both wakeboarding and surfing while running in the motor - the waves look AWESOME!! So not that we have one to compare with, but the reduction in width does not seem to have hurt the wave/wake . And it still looks awesome too

Hey dihrdskir

I was able to get to talk to Malibu Aust yesterday they have finally changed the beam to 2500mm 98 inches on the VLX only, it is a Australian specific mould. I was told that nothing has changed from the chine down, at the boats widest point they have stood the side of the boat more vertical and narrowed the walk way to the bow. All parts, engine bay, lockers ect are the same as US version with the exception of the tower (same as VTX ) and the walkway hinged door is smaller.

Looking all over the boat as I have, none of the changes stand out or look funny even now I know where to look.

If we put the two versions together side by side, could we tell ?????

So to the question are we losing the the wet tubs in the rear because of Aussie version, no we only lose them with the 409 with closed cooling the 409 with out cooling the tubs return. Which would have been nice for Pete to know before he found as I did a blank cover plate.

The conversation with Malibu Australia was extremely helpful to me and because of the changes they have made know this boat VLX 22 very well and were happy to answer any question I threw at them.

Cheers

F1B064E9-A6F2-4A7F-A0D3-2A61ED56DABD_zps

8D35ACE7-12AD-46F4-B4F2-FFF0BBDE2003_zps

I read this book 20 times before I saw this

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkhttp://i1025.photobucket.com/albums/y320/ozsurf8/F1B064E9-A6F2-4A7F-A0D3-2A61ED56DABD_zpszecjoftr.jpg8D35ACE7-12AD-46F4-B4F2-FFF0BBDE2003_zps

Edited by ozsurf
  • Like 2